Pages:
Author

Topic: Privacy vs Regulation and goverment actions - page 2. (Read 215 times)

legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441
February 03, 2018, 07:33:12 PM
- Privacy aimed coins - Monero, ZCash, Electroneum, Onion, Verge,...

What do you think will do the governments as far as regulations or even bans with each of the groups? How may the value be affected?

I'm not certain its possible for large scale privacy to exist in an era where surveillance networks like echelon and carnivore are hardwired into ISP's and virtually every data transmission is logged or recorded. Even if deep packet inspection may not yet be implemented perfectly, I seem to remember reading about TOR not being the most secure protocol, years ago.

INTERCEPTING TOR TRAFFIC TO SNIFF PASSWORDS OR OTHER DATA

Onion routing works by relaying communications through a network of systems in various places. These systems are generally volunteers. Your connection travels through various nodes(it's encrypted), until it reaches the exit node, and then the location(ie the website you're connecting to via port 80).

This unencrypted connection on the exit node is what we will be exploiting.

http://www.ubertechblog.com/2011/03/intercepting-tor-traffic-to-sniff.html

A Researcher Used a Honeypot to Identify Malicious Tor Exit Nodes

The Tor network, used everyday by thousands of people around the world to surf the web anonymously and to circumvent internet censorship, depends on its volunteer "operators," the people who run and maintain the network's final set of servers, also called "exit nodes."

Whoever controls these exit nodes can potentially see the traffic coming out of the Tor network, and, if they want, spy on it. In an experiment dubbed BADONION, an independent security researcher that only goes by the pseudonym "Chloe" devised a clever way to find out who, among these operators, is maliciously sniffing and intercepting traffic.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/mgbdwv/badonion-honeypot-malicious-tor-exit-nodes

I've been out of the loop for years now. Maybe these exploits have been patched by TOR devs. Or maybe not. I would be interested to know the answer to this.
Activity: 476
Merit: 107
February 03, 2018, 07:01:09 PM
Among the variety of coins, I would make at least these groups:

- One is sh*tcoins (no innovation, should not even be there)

- Non really anonymous - Bitcoin,...

- Non-anonymous token and code coins - Ethereum, Neo, Xem, ...

- Not really cryptos - Ripple

What do you think will do the governments as far as regulations or even bans with each of the groups? How may the value be affected?
I am not sure to what the government would do for each and every one of them but what I am sure of is that they will try to regulate them all, not just ripple. For shitcoins though, I think they will decide sooner or later to ban it's usage since it has no real world use after all. If government started regulating most of the cryptoworld, I am sure that the volatility will be affected.
Activity: 322
Merit: 103
February 03, 2018, 06:21:30 PM
The realy cares that much about tracking the privacy transactions. Usualy it is used by governmental lobbyists to get more money for different useless activities aiming to track the money. No one will need it untill the amount of the illegal transactions will be over 20% of all crypto volume. Every country in the world have its own private money and it is called cash.
Activity: 52
Merit: 0
February 03, 2018, 04:07:19 PM
I am sure governments are not making such groups of anonymous and non-anonymous cryptos. As long the cryptos are decentralized, all are same to any government. So if a government wants to ban crypto currency, they will ban it all and not as per the group made by you. Governments will usually want to control their own economy and since cryptos are decentralized, they can't control them. So they will ban all crypto if they want to regardless of anonymity.

Also the price will have a hit if a big country like India, US, China, South Korea bans cryptos completely. The majority of the crypto users are from these countries and if these governments ban it, we will see a drastic drop in the market cap as well as in the price. So it is going to affect big time. 

I agree, the thing that makes crypto valuable is its ease of use... sort of and the fact that it can be converted for "real fiat money" (oxymoron). But isnt what makes USD valuable is the military force that backs it up? If the Governments penalize people for using crypto the price could get real ugly.. JMO

legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1500
February 03, 2018, 04:02:03 PM
I am sure governments are not making such groups of anonymous and non-anonymous cryptos. As long the cryptos are decentralized, all are same to any government. So if a government wants to ban crypto currency, they will ban it all and not as per the group made by you. Governments will usually want to control their own economy and since cryptos are decentralized, they can't control them. So they will ban all crypto if they want to regardless of anonymity.

Also the price will have a hit if a big country like India, US, China, South Korea bans cryptos completely. The majority of the crypto users are from these countries and if these governments ban it, we will see a drastic drop in the market cap as well as in the price. So it is going to affect big time. 
Activity: 52
Merit: 0
February 03, 2018, 02:40:17 PM
I am also interested in this topic. Does anyone want to weight in? What happens when they start regulating?
Activity: 238
Merit: 9
January 18, 2018, 05:39:34 AM
Among the variety of coins, I would make at least these groups:

- One is sh*tcoins (no innovation, should not even be there)

- Non really anonymous - Bitcoin,...

- Non-anonymous token and code coins - Ethereum, Neo, Xem, ...

- Not really cryptos - Ripple

Pages:
Jump to: