Pages:
Author

Topic: Private Security(Re: US health care mandate) - page 2. (Read 1855 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
I'm sorry, this was just too damn stupid.

Private chefs can and currently do exist.  Your private chef will be responsible for preparing meals for you.

Now, it's quite obvious that you get what you pay for, and a whole heck of a lot of people can't afford private chefs.

Been eating at the government cafe your whole life have you? Everyone can afford private chefs, just not personal chefs.

OK, back to ignoring you.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
A private security industry can & currently does exist.  Your security company will be responsible for protecting you.  If someone steals from you they will try to recover your stolen items.  The only remaining system that may remain is a collective legal system.  Like a credit rating for your crimes or possibly a jail for high profile criminals.  Too many things to speculate about at 1 time, but it will all develop organically.

You're still not quite getting it, are you? Let's examine the first two sentences of what you just said:

A private security industry can & currently does exist.  Your security company will be responsible for protecting you.

Now let me show you the absurdity of it. I will just change a few words:

Private chefs can and currently do exist.  Your private chef will be responsible for preparing meals for you.

Now, it's quite obvious that you get what you pay for, and a whole heck of a lot of people can't afford private chefs.

The error you have made in your logic is by assuming that because private security firms exist, everyone will have them to the degree of quality needed.
Activity: 247
Merit: 250
1. One security firm per city or region, in which case, you only have one choice.

Although, ideally in a free market, there will be multiple competitors, there's definitely a possibility that in rural towns only one option exists.  But if that one runs amok, there's no reason another security firm couldn't start competing & take its place.

2. Multiple security firms per region, but at reduced density per firm. That of course means a slower response time.

In your example, we have ~20% the density. That would be a slower response time, as the location of events to respond to is random and unpredictable.

Let's say in the police right now there are 100 people for every police officer.  If that were to ever move to the free market w/ 5 companies, there would still probably be 100 people to a security guard.  But those security guards would be divided into 5 different companies.  You make it sound like if you were to call the police, the entire police force would show up.  And depends on the service you pay for (if you pay at all).  Some people may pay more & get a security guard for every 20 members (increasing response time).  Others may get minimum coverage and get a security guard for every 200 members (reducing response time).  Some may think their shotgun, safe room, dog, or electric fence is enough.

You don't get it, do you? That's to be expected - because you certainly wouldn't want the facts to get in the way of your proposed system.

Sometimes, in order to understand a concept, you need to take it to an extreme. Try that, and imagine three crimes being committed at the opposite end of the region that you reside in.

Yeah, took me a minute to find it.

Whether you agree w/ my system or not doesn't really matter because bitcoin will IMO completely disrupt the current system. Feel free to stay in the current system, but I predict all the smart people w/ money will develop the government-less society I'm envisioning.  I doubt your system will last long w/o any money to fund it.

A private security industry can & currently does exist.  Your security company will be responsible for protecting you.  If someone steals from you they will try to recover your stolen items.  The only remaining system that may remain is a collective legal system.  Like a credit rating for your crimes or possibly a jail for high profile criminals.  Too many things to speculate about at 1 time, but it will all develop organically.
1. One security firm per city or region, in which case, you only have one choice.

Although, ideally in a free market, there will be multiple competitors, there's definitely a possibility that in rural towns only one option exists.  But if that one runs amok, there's no reason another security firm couldn't start competing & take its place.

2. Multiple security firms per region, but at reduced density per firm. That of course means a slower response time.

In your example, we have ~20% the density. That would be a slower response time, as the location of events to respond to is random and unpredictable.

Let's say in the police right now there are 100 people for every police officer.  If that were to ever move to the free market w/ 5 companies, there would still probably be 100 people to a security guard.  But those security guards would be divided into 5 different companies.  You make it sound like if you were to call the police, the entire police force would show up.  And depends on the service you pay for (if you pay at all).  Some people may pay more & get a security guard for every 20 members (increasing response time).  Others may get minimum coverage and get a security guard for every 200 members (reducing response time).  Some may think their shotgun, safe room, dog, or electric fence is enough.

You don't get it, do you? That's to be expected - because you certainly wouldn't want the facts to get in the way of your proposed system.

Sometimes, in order to understand a concept, you need to take it to an extreme. Try that, and imagine three crimes being committed at the opposite end of the region that you reside in.
Activity: 247
Merit: 250

Option #2: You'll pay a premium (as in insurance), and you'll get all the coverage you need per year. If you're unlucky with crimes committed against you, you won't go broke even though the cost of servicing you exceeds the premium you pay, as the premium cbeast pays will go towards the services rendered for you.

You are correct - that is how insurance works.  I'm not arguing how insurance works, I'm arguing for choice.  I want to be able to choose the price & quality or the option to choose nothing at all.  I can't do that with government mandated monopolies.

So you are agreed then that cbeast will indeed pay for your security needs.

You said this earlier:

You don't need to pay for me.  I'll just pay for a bodyguard service w/ the former tax money.  Although it seems expensive now, it won't be when the police monopoly disbands & starts competing in the free market.

How many security firms do you want to choose from? Five? Let's say five. So to equal the density of a municipal police force, that would mean five times as many officers employed at those security firms. That's five times as many officers being paid.

Sounds expensive.
Pages:
Jump to: