Pages:
Author

Topic: Project: Preturnio - a full text search engine for Bitcoin - page 2. (Read 527 times)

Activity: 130
Merit: 150
Dark Mode - yeah. I'm really bad at CSS and while building the UI I found it very frustrating to continually tweak two different CSS fields but I really need to do this.

I understand your frustration with CSS, I've struggled with it myself.
If you have a lot of work to switch between dark/night mode, maybe you can find some design in the middle, which will be satisfactory for both parties. The background does not necessarily have to be white, even if it was a light-mode version.

I've been doing web design for roughly the past decade, and I have say, I think your web design here is overall plenty fine. It's clean and modern, and in informational and data-heavy sites like this, you want to stay on the side of minimalism in design. If the design was flashy and animated, it'd confuse more "rookie" Bitcoiners to who a lot of your site's data is pretty foreign. Great site as all others have said, just wanted to give my two cents on the web design discussion.
Activity: 11
Merit: 265
  • Dark mode and optionally dark mode by default. I know it's already mentioned, but IMO it's important feature.
  • Better search algorithm which accept typo from. For example "block size" show 7 results while "block sizze" show 0 result.
  • Warning about potential mature/controversy things on search result. For reference, there are 687 results when i use keyword "sex".

Thanks for these suggestions!
  • Dark mode: working on it.
  • This is a limitation of the search index engine and how it handles individual tokens. There are multiple 'strategies' to use and the one that fits most use cases looks like 'size' and 'sizze' as two different words. There's not much I can do about that without significantly changing the index configuration. I believe the solution might be to up the 'fuzzy' settings and I'll take a closer look at that - I do need to do better in terms of getting closer to a UX that folks expect from Google.
  • That's a tough one. I actually agree with this concept but I worry that any type of messaging opining about content can put a lot of Bitcoiners off. Transparently: I am removing a bunch of 'inappropriate' words from the search marquee at the bottom (you won't see this if you're using Safari due to marquee performance issues on that platform) but if someone types in a word and that word is somewhere in the index, it will come back with results. Luckily I'm only dealing with text and not images. Additional transparency: I have a censor flag I can flip on a tx in case there is something that is clearly 'very very bad' - if I flick that switch for a tx, the encoding results won't be shown in the UI - so you'll still get a result - you just won't see the decoded text.

--snip--
I believe he refer to old technique which use 20-byte hashed public key (on Bitcoin legacy address) as a way to store text and other arbitary data. Visit https://www.righto.com/2014/02/ascii-bernanke-wikileaks-photographs.html and check section "How to put your own message in the blockchain".

Thanks for the reference - I took a look at that and I think I'll skip that for the moment - not sure the juice is worth the squeeze unless lots of people start asking for it.
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 7410
Crypto Swap Exchange
This is really cool project. I search few random things and found many things such as personal message[1], copy of Mike Hearn
blog[2] and even support to Ukraine[3]. Your project could be popular among Bitcoiner, NFT/Ordinal user and few people who looking for specific content.

[1] https://preturnio.com/8e801876a1c0aadbf4de88c3509aef0b1b61b104958888a54991c34c885eaedc
[2] https://preturnio.com/e0071e2c7ab66227feb4ccec8c9941edd07a01c6f05444bc5980fde7c955b860
[3] https://preturnio.com/073ffed8259b53a44bf8813e2d83c16d95ef792e08afb89855d19d367659cb34

Feedback is encouraged and appreciated. Thanks for listening!

• Dark mode and optionally dark mode by default. I know it's already mentioned, but IMO it's important feature.
  • Better search algorithm which accept typo from. For example "block size" show 7 results while "block sizze" show 0 result.
  • Warning about potential mature/controversy things on search result. For reference, there are 687 results when i use keyword "sex".

--snip--

3. Not sure what you're referring to here - can you give some examples? Remember that Preturnio is about searching for plain text - so if you're looking for specific 'types' of transactions that don't include plain text, I'm not indexing those transactions. I hope that makes sense and answer the question but an example would be helpful....

I believe he refer to old technique which use 20-byte hashed public key (on Bitcoin legacy address) as a way to store text and other arbitary data. Visit https://www.righto.com/2014/02/ascii-bernanke-wikileaks-photographs.html and check section "How to put your own message in the blockchain".
Activity: 504
Merit: 1065
Crypto Swap Exchange
Very very cool! Your site is interesting and really well done. The website is fast, fluid and super responsive.
I agree 100% with hugeblack's idea for darkmode, even if from a personal point of view I use a plugin that transforms all my web pages in darkmode version.

Thanks for your work and for sharing it here. I will spend some time looking at the reference word list and try to do some research.
You can find everything it's really funny, some more "educational" than others:
https://preturnio.com/ordinal?txid=d8ef417a8575e0fa3da7ab11f9e91ef7582c7275f54f8b9dc587c98c676bd41c

Sorry OP, I don't have any smerits at the moment but I've added your topic to my list of topics that I'll merit later  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 3098
Dark Mode - yeah. I'm really bad at CSS and while building the UI I found it very frustrating to continually tweak two different CSS fields but I really need to do this.

I understand your frustration with CSS, I've struggled with it myself.
If you have a lot of work to switch between dark/night mode, maybe you can find some design in the middle, which will be satisfactory for both parties. The background does not necessarily have to be white, even if it was a light-mode version.
The project looks complete, the design is cool and the search is smooth, why not create an ANN Topic here ----> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=84.0.

Suggestions, um let me think about the following:
 - Dark Mode.
 - OP_RETURN used in Bitcoin history[1].
 - Search for information by an individual such as Satoshi or a mining pool.
 - Proof of Burn addresses, such as messages sent through addresses.

[1] https://twitter.com/pourteaux/status/1361821176801157122

This is great - thank you! But so many questions...

Regarding the other three suggestions, can you provide some more details?

1. OP_RETURN used in Bitcoin history[1]: can you be more specific here?

2. So you can search for details related to a mining pool because I'm indexing coinbase transactions but the 'problem' here is performance. So let's say you wanted to find transactions with the word 'USA Pool' - you can search for that but Preturnio will find over 20,000 records and these searches are typically very slow. In fact, the word 'mined' is in my stop word list (try searching for the word 'mined' and you'll see what I mean).

3. Not sure what you're referring to here - can you give some examples? Remember that Preturnio is about searching for plain text - so if you're looking for specific 'types' of transactions that don't include plain text, I'm not indexing those transactions. I hope that makes sense and answer the question but an example would be helpful....
I liked the idea, the design of the site is elegant and clean, the speed of response and the way the data is displayed, it is more of a professional work than a side project.

I will bookmark this page.
The only thing I didn't like is that my search results and others appear in the bar below.
I suggest adding random words in the search option so that it helps the user if he has no ideas.

What are your future plans?

Thanks for the feedback.

This is a side project - I'm just super OCD about UI/UX and spent a lot of time trying to make it smooth and simple to use. I guess that's positive if people think it looks more professional Smiley

Regarding search results: that's good feedback. The label above the marquee says 'recent searches' when this should really be 'what are people searching for?'. It sounds like the concern here is one of privacy which is valid. I did think about a dropdown in the search text field similar to what Google does with 'recent' / 'trending' searches but I didn't think that made sense until I have a lot of search query history to work with, but I will think about how to improve this.

Plans are to optimize speed and improve indexes - for example, consider the following OP_RETURN:

https://preturnio.com/8bbc96506afcee124600c94dcdc85c619db96f825a2d065bccd0b3129962ed3c

If you wanted to find this transaction, you could search for the entire string or just '2565C53636AB9239157C9F7D2E97656866393A004DE00BAB742FD4F57DC66CB7' - but let's say you wanted to look for the last few characters (e.g. 4F57DC66CB7) - you won't get any results. So it would be good to add some options for more powerful searching. I also wonder if some people would find value in searching for the raw hex instead of the encoded data. Obviously the result set could be much bigger but would that be of value?

I would also like to support adding search to the mempool - just trying to figure out how to do that with reliable infra. The initial index was built using my home node but now I use Quicknode for each new block. Handling the mempool would, I think, require my own node and that's actually pretty expensive to host in the cloud so trying to figure that out. I am of course open to other requests from folks who have ideas to help improve the concept.

Thank you for the feedback and for spending the time to take a look at the project. I really appreciate that.

legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 3612
Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange
The project looks complete, the design is cool and the search is smooth, why not create an ANN Topic here ----> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=84.0.

Suggestions, um let me think about the following:
 - Dark Mode.
 - OP_RETURN used in Bitcoin history[1].
 - Search for information by an individual such as Satoshi or a mining pool.
 - Proof of Burn addresses, such as messages sent through addresses.

[1] https://twitter.com/pourteaux/status/1361821176801157122
Activity: 406
Merit: 443
I liked the idea, the design of the site is elegant and clean, the speed of response and the way the data is displayed, it is more of a professional work than a side project.

I will bookmark this page.
The only thing I didn't like is that my search results and others appear in the bar below.
I suggest adding random words in the search option so that it helps the user if he has no ideas.

What are your future plans?
Hi. I wanted to share my new project Preturnio - a full text search engine for Bitcoin. With Preturnio you can search for text inside every OP_RETURN, Coinbase transaction and ordinal transaction since the genesis block. You can play with it over at https://preturnio.com

Block explorers can search for transactions, blocks and addresses but searching for arbitrary text is a challenge. Data is stored in the blockchain natively in hexadecimal format and not easily readable by humans. Preturnio solves this with an easy-to-use search interface. Simply enter the text you’re looking for and Preturnio will return highlighted results found in any OP_RETURN, Coinbase or Ordinal transaction. See when the data was created, which block it was confirmed in and other relevant details.

You can search for anything: source code, names, quotes, brc-20 tokens – any plain text you can think of, you can find in the blockchain with Preturnio. You can also share transactions with a direct link or even a preview image. Posting to Twitter will automatically create a Twitter card.

Ordinals are of course supported. Each inscription can be previewed inline or full screen. The platform support all transactions encoded with text-supported MIME types and we categorize inscriptions into two buckets – text and HTML. You can toggle to source code view with a familiar search interface to find the text you’re looking for inside the inscription payload. When you share an inscription, Preturnio will try to include a preview of the inscription whether it’s text or HTML. Once you’ve found your inscription, you can then search inside it with a familiar ‘Find’ experience to look for specific text.

Naturally each search result can be verified with a single click to on one of several public block explorers as well as ordinal explorers for inscriptions. It's also easy to copy the TX ID to verify on your own node.

Preturnio has also cross referenced all transactions against a published list of all known English words (more languages coming soon) so you can browse individual words stored somewhere on the blockchain. This is actually a lot of fun!

Check out the https://preturnio.com/docs to learn about other search features supported.

Feedback is encouraged and appreciated. Thanks for listening!
Pages:
Jump to: