Pages:
Author

Topic: Project: Stealth Mining Rig - page 3. (Read 9946 times)

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
May 12, 2013, 10:56:11 AM
I would say don't attempt this. Removing 800W of heat is hard enough, to get it quiet on air almost impossible.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
May 11, 2013, 09:30:09 PM
"Hey, why does your computer sound and feel like a hair dryer? You wouldn't happen to be mining, would you?"
That just made my day :-)

Yeah, the bad news, it's going to be 4x 7970.
The good news, sound is not a problem as the pc would be in another room (not air conditioned).

Are there any recommendations on the case for a closed one?
I'm using a Cooler Master HAF X case with 3x 7950 with good results. I think you might be able to fit 4x 7970 in there with creative use of risers. You would want to remove the dust covers from the various grills to improve airflow.
Activity: 854
Merit: 1000
May 11, 2013, 09:19:08 PM
No water needed....just buy these:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=195004.0o

Totally stealth....
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
May 11, 2013, 09:11:27 PM
"Hey, why does your computer sound and feel like a hair dryer? You wouldn't happen to be mining, would you?"
That just made my day :-)

Yeah, the bad news, it's going to be 4x 7970.
The good news, sound is not a problem as the pc would be in another room (not air conditioned).

Are there any recommendations on the case for a closed one?
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
May 11, 2013, 08:30:10 PM
Probably water cooling. For reference, I have 3 6990s on an open-air rig sitting directly below a large AC unit and it takes two Ultra Kaze fans blowing directly on the chips to keep them at 80 degrees Celsius. I don't think 4 cards would last very long in an enclosed case, personally, but they might do alright if you spread them out, give each one its own fan, and somehow turn the whole case into a veritable jet-intake without giving up that "regular computer" look.

Thing is, you probably won't be able to spread them out that much. PCI risers only give you about 6 inches, which sounds like a lot but really, in practice, isn't so much. Especially since you have to keep slack in them to keep from pulling them out of their slots, and since you can't twist them more than maybe 30 degrees at most without losing significant length.

P.S.
If your cards are anything like my 6990s, even if you manage to make the case look *normal* while incorporating awesome ventilation, the sound's going to give it away. And the heat. "Hey, why does your computer sound and feel like a hair dryer? You wouldn't happen to be mining, would you?"

Yeah. For stealth, water cooling all the way.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
May 11, 2013, 07:59:07 PM
I want to set up a closed-case btc mining rig that looks like an ordinary computer.
Is it even possible such a thing would survice with 4 GPU cards going crazy inside?

I know it is not that easy from what I read so far, but it should be possible, right?

My Plan so far is to separate the graphics card.
One should normally go into the pci slot and the other 3 will be connected via risers and placed at different locations inside the case.

What is your feeling about it? Do I need a water cooling system for that or will air be enough when there are many?
Pages:
Jump to: