Pages:
Author

Topic: Prop: A Bitcoin-Qt/Bitcoind protocol release that's guaranteed to stay the same. - page 2. (Read 3068 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 1
I will also add that recently a bug was found in Bitcoin-Qt's latest build (Ultraprune) that changed the Bitcoin protocol, inadvertently. If this were released, people running older Bitcoin software would be forced to fork into a separate Bitcoin currency that might of had little to no acceptance. This scenario would be traject if the actual protocol changes were not fully announced.

I will say over and over again, the Bitcoin.org dev team has a lot of power that must be watched with extreme caution.

Imagine if a release was made that didn't change the protocol fundamentally until a later time and the software had already been accepted by mostly everybody? This may not be feasible but it's one question of many others when it comes to the power of a single core software developer in the community.

There are many men who would like to see Bitcoin as a competing currency gone and they will be willing to penetrate our sphere of influence to do it. Stay awake.

Addendum: The Bitcoin.org dev team may makes claim of democracy, transparency and good faith but so do governments and other organizations, which will always inevitably fail. People fail and if Bitcoin is not to fail it must not depend on a lone group of people.
Activity: 56
Merit: 1
In order to introduce great certainty in the Bitcoin economy at-large, whether it be in the mind of a regular user, merchant or an investor, we need to make sure Bitcoin as a currency remains stable in form. People need not be able to question that Bitcoin can change its rules --whether the rule be minor or significant-- in the face of major social influence of the current "official" dev team or otherwise.

I think we can all agree that if the Bitcoin protocol was vulnerable at its core, it would of been compromised by now. No major change is needed in that respect, whether it be novelty or a new idea of an experiment in cryptocurrency.

In face of this, I propose the Bitcoin.org dev team makes decree that the Bitcoin protocol set in the compatible Bitcoin-Qt/Bitcoind releases of 0.7.1 and below as well as beyond, not be changed for a period of at least 5 years -- in Bitcoin.org's respective releases. They should agree that their efforts and ambitions are not greater than the survival and integrity of the Bitcoin currency as a whole, and that with their great social influence comes great responsibility.

So, again, for the good of Bitcoin, please promise us that you will not be attempting to change the Bitcoin protocol for at least 5 years, Bitcoin.org.

Thank you.

P.S. Why five years? So new competing releases have time to develop and challenge any dangerous changes that come our way.
Pages:
Jump to: