Pages:
Author

Topic: [proposal] forum subdomains - page 2. (Read 396 times)

Activity: 66
Merit: 5
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
December 14, 2023, 06:42:43 AM
I like the proposal. Stack Exchange also does that which result on more neat topic and easier to use with search engine.

I don't think SMF software supports linking boards to subdomains.

I did quick search on SMF forum, but couldn't find information about multiple subdomain for each forum section/category.
I also did a quick search on it too but I found something that kinda relate to it.
You can setup SMF with your new domain and update SMF using 'Repair Settings' to fix any paths and urls.

For the old domain you can add a 301 permanent redirect to the new domain, search engine's will see the permanent redirect and update all your search results, it should have a very minimal impact on your search engine rankings.

So if someone goes to http://www.olddomain.com/forum/thread/1/ they would be redirected to http://www.newdomain.com/forum/thread/1/

Search engines are intelligent enough these days to handle these type of instructions.
Best
source
The bold area shows it could be possible for subdomain too but it will require the admin to do a whole lot of job to fix it.
legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458
December 14, 2023, 06:23:59 AM
no just no.. sorry NotATether, but just no

you dont need to edit or change or move index.php to create subdomains
you dont need to edit or change SMF forum code within index.php

subdomain stuff is done at the website hosting management system, not the contents of index.php file

as for you then exaggerating into the "topics" now your just going overboard

the forum software is within index.php...
but you dont need to touch that at all

you do not need to use a HTML/PHP editor of the index.php to create subdomains. to then also not need to upload a edited index.php file to the hosting site to activate subdomains
emphasis you do not need to touch the forum software

instead its done within the hosting sites management tool. such as cpanel(or whatever one theymos uses) where you can set the hosting management to redirect subdomains to board numbers of the index.php depending on the subdomain

you made some extreme exaggerated and pointless counter arguments about millions of topics..
which has no effect on subdomains nor subdomains on topics

you lost a few respect points i had for you as a dev due to your weird counter argument to not want to even think its worth doing..

if you instead said something smarter like that subdomains might have some affect on theymoses cloudflare settings and security, where he would need to add some extra stuff to cloudflare to ensure the subdomains are also cloudflare protected i would have respected you as a dev for having a legitimate counter argument.. but even so its just again just adding a few details to the cloudflare management tool, but atleast you would have had a bit of better understanding of website hosting
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
December 14, 2023, 06:08:50 AM
my proposal is not about messing with SMF

its about subdomains of the hosting domain.. that redirects to the right page of SMF board numbering system

But that's the thing... you can't make a (sub)domain redirect to some page *inside* the domain the way SMF is set up. With a normal website it's possible, but on the forum everything is generated by an index.php.

When you go to a board, the url is index.php?board=x.x . For a topic, it's something like index.php?topic=x.x with no board number. If someone clicks a link to some Bitcointalk topic and it were to show the appropriate subdomain in the address bar, the only way to do that would be to perform a database lookup, which will be expensive since there are almost 5.5 million topics as of now.

And to do the reverse (as described in your quote) would either require a new design for the URLs for the subdomains e.g. meta.bitcointalk.org/proposal-forum-subdomains OR you'd have to stick the topic number at the end, which means meta.bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5477847 is the same as bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5477847 which would make subdomains redundant.
legendary
December 14, 2023, 05:29:09 AM
my proposal is not about messing with SMF

its about subdomains of the hosting domain.. that redirects to the right page of SMF board numbering system
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 7410
Crypto Swap Exchange
December 14, 2023, 05:08:55 AM
I like the proposal. Stack Exchange also does that which result on more neat topic and easier to use with search engine.

I did quick search on SMF forum, but couldn't find information about multiple subdomain for each forum section/category.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
December 14, 2023, 04:42:32 AM
Activity: 700
Merit: 577
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
December 14, 2023, 04:38:47 AM
It is good to know but that will be a long process to do it instead you just login normally and navigate to any board you like. And if I want to find out any topic nor board, I normally use Google Search Engine to get the job done. Because in most cases the forum search bar didn't give me the actual results I needed. Though this your method is also directing me straight to the board you want to visit but will be double navigation because once login with meta.bitcointalk.org, you can't go back to another board unless you click the main menu (home page) button. Therefore I will prefer login with normal website and navigate to any angle.
Activity: 658
Merit: 354
I stand with Ukraine!
December 14, 2023, 04:38:39 AM
I am not a developer amd don't have deep knowlesge about security but because I saw many projects apply this style for pages on their websites, assume it is good and safe in security.

Even so, I see one disadvantage of this proposal.

It will be harder to know how many boards are existing in Bitcointalk.

If you search with a link with board id at the end like
Code:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=279
and if there is no board with that board id, you will get a notification
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
I can use a smaller board id for searching. With this proposal, it is impossible.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
December 14, 2023, 04:23:19 AM
I use google for this and it work as good. Example is when I searched for 'meta Bitcointalk' or 'Bitcointalk meta' and it will bring meta link as the search result. I use it for other boards and child boards and the searches are accurate. You can try it. I mainly use google for this.
legendary
December 14, 2023, 04:17:10 AM
very simple idea,
the current forum url to get to meta https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=24.0
have
meta.bitcointalk.org aswell that redirects to board=24.0

for main bitcoin discussion https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=1.0
have
main.bitcointalk.org aswell that redirects to board=1.0

for for economics https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=7.0
have
economics.bitcointalk.org aswell that redirects to board=7.0

and for Development & Technical Discussion https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=6.0
have
ass-kiss-dev.bitcointalk.org aswell that redirects to board=6.0

last one was a sarcasm joke.
but the point is it would make things easier to link to different sections using a easy to remember addresses
im not suggesting redoing the whole set-up nor changing the board numbering system.
its not about editing or changing SMF software/database

im suggesting adding extra url re-directs to the domain management
Pages:
Jump to: