Pages:
Author

Topic: Pros and cons of using new Bitcoin addresses for each transaction? - page 6. (Read 48705 times)

Activity: 103
Merit: 61
How difficult would to associate one address with your other addresses? What precautions should be taken to protect against this?

It's not totally easy, but it's possible.  For example, a node could listen on the network and see that you are using the same IP when sending from two of your different addresses, and thus associate those addresses.  To prevent this, you should mask your IP using Tor or similar.

There's also a more fundamental risk in that the chain of ownership of each bitcoin is public knowledge.  So, if you, say, purchased the bitcoin from an exchange and gave your name during that, then the exchange can associate your name with that bitcoin.  There's a really really nice post by Theymos on that here, and the following thread proposes some great solutions (mainly, a "scrambler"):

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/anonymity-241

Even besides these two things, there are some other things that need to be handled.  For example, you should find a way to encrypt your traffic so your ISP can't read your addresses.  Also, you should send out identical traffic regularly, so that your ISP cant associate your addresses using timing alone.

If all of these things are accounted for, I believe you are very close to 100% safe from technical address association.
Activity: 134
Merit: 102
-More anonymous (harder for people to associate it with your other addresses, though not impossible unless other precautions are taken)

How difficult would to associate one address with your other addresses? What precautions should be taken to protect against this?
legendary
Activity: 860
Merit: 1021
The addresses are valid forever unless you lose your wallet.
oh, didn't know that.
thanks for the info!
Activity: 48
Merit: 0
Ah, okay. It makes a lot more sense now. Thanks, guys.  Smiley
KSD5,

Definitely not.  I, for one, do not care about anonymity! Wink

It would be a good idea if you have lots of people sending you the same amount.  By giving them each a different address to send to, you can tell who paid when.
Is anonymity necessary for everyone? llama has his address in his signature. (I don't know if he changes his address though.) Can someone offer me a scenario where changing addresses would be a good idea?
Activity: 199
Merit: 2072
The addresses are valid forever unless you lose your wallet.  The only disadvantage is that the address receiving a transaction is visible to all nodes.  It is easy to automatically generate a new address each time a page is refreshed on a donation page using the JSON RPC interface.
legendary
Activity: 860
Merit: 1021
basically the advantage of making a new address every time is anonymity.

when you don't want anyone (who knows your old address, typically customers or, if you made it public potentially everyone) to recognize you that is a basic step you have to do.

In my opinion there's no disadvantage except for the minimum raised work for clicking "new address".
The only exception here is if you want to run a static account (like when you post the address to get donations), because afaik you can't reuse an address once you got a new one.
Pros:

-More anonymous (harder for people to associate it with your other addresses, though not impossible unless other precautions are taken)
-Easier to identify who paid you (since every payer is given their own address)

Cons:

-Doesn't prove that you are the owner of the other address, which can be useful in trust applications
-A little bit more hassle.

Anything I'm forgetting?
Can someone please give me a list of the pros and cons of using new Bitcoin addresses for each transaction? It seems very inconvenient to use a new address each time.
Pages:
Jump to: