Pages:
Author

Topic: PSA: If gold were illegal... (Gold WAS illegal!) - page 2. (Read 437 times)

legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 2262
BTC or BUST
I was just reading your posts, phenomenal..
It is hard finding good reads like that around here..
Been into crypto since digicash and privacy long before..

On this topic I do not doubt it could happen at all, and I read that some senate bill just made it illegal to hide the fact that you own bitcoin in the USA..
Scary stuff.. I just got done reading your post on bitcoin privacy and this all really is a lot to think about..

For myself I have never hid my involvement with bitcoin, my friends and family know about Bitcoin because of me, and I can be doxed 100 ways from Sunday..

I think it is to late for me to go private, my case is a lost cause..

But I would be fascinated to read more intelligent conversation about the risks we are subjected to such as the subject of this thread and what a person can do to start implementing privacy in their lives, and how to really learn the practice, to mitigate it to a reasonable extent..

What you said about google being the best mind reading technology yet invented, it is so true, and just feels like the problem is so far above my head I may as well submit..

I use TOR for experimenting on it and maybe reading some interesting things, but I wouldn't really have the first idea if I was actually anonymous because of all the gotchas I read can get you.. I don't trust running it to keep me safe from anything because I just don't know..

I just trade crypto, I'm good on an exchange, love the numbers and thrill.. I'm not much of a computers and code, understanding how everything really works kind of guy..
I look into it and know much more than your average joe, but it gets over my head fast..
I feel I've used my abilities of that sort up on actual machines.. I can wrap my head around very complex systems of the physical nature, but when it comes to software, it's a lot harder for me.. I haven't been doing this complex computer stuff all my life like I have other things..
copper member
Activity: 630
Merit: 2610
If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!
The following is a real-life allegory pertaining to gold’s new competitor, Bitcoin.

What would you do, if gold were made illegal?

Think it can’t happen?  Well—how many of you are American?  Private individual ownership of gold coins and bars was illegal in the United States for four decades.  “Hoarding” individual wealth in gold was banned from 1 May 1933 until 31 December 1974.  Vast amounts of gold bullion were confiscated from people, who were forced to accept instead the Monopoly Money known as “United States Dollars”.  Numerous individuals were criminally prosecuted for attempting to keep their gold—a crime according to Executive Orders 6102, 6111, 6260, and 6261, and the Gold Reserve Act passed by the U.S. Congress and signed into law by U.S. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs law criminalizing gold
30 January 1934

This is fact, not fancy.  Not some weird theory.  This is history:  It actually happened.  And if it happened before, it could happen again.

Well, you might say:  What if nobody knows I have any gold?  That would require that you buy it anonymously.  Store it in secret.  Never brag about it.  Never use it in any way which can be traced.  And take precautions, just in case somebody may be making a list of people who own gold.

Please take care of your Bitcoin privacy—and your privacy with gold, too.

It happened: “CRIMINAL PENALTIES... 10 years imprisonment...” for keeping gold!
Pages:
Jump to: