Pages:
Author

Topic: Publicly released some of the magic potion that goes into physical bitcoins! - page 3. (Read 9224 times)

Activity: 283
Merit: 250
Yay! Your roll-your-own coins just got a bit more valuable... Not that I don't trust you, but I prefer not needing to Wink

Activity: 222
Merit: 100
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
I just released some of the magic that goes into physical bitcoins: a generator for those little round key circles I put in my coins.

How it works:
1 - download latest Casascius Bitcoin Address Utility (either on github, or https://casascius.com/btcaddress-alpha.zip)
2 - generate some keys
3 - print physical bitcoin inserts!

I made it so you can generate key circles with Minikeys, regular keys, or two-factor Encrypted Private Keys.  Minikeys are 30 characters and fit in a single circle.  Regular keys are 51 characters and two-factor encrypted ones are 58 characters, these print on a two-circle shape that you fold in half.

Each sheet gives you 8 keys, and gives you a QR code for the bitcoin address.

I added one more thing, and that's something called "confirmation codes".  A confirmation code lets someone who ordered a two-factor passphrase physical bitcoin verify that the address they were given is really protected by their passphrase, without giving them access to the funds.  So... I can sell a two-factor physical bitcoin with YOUR passphrase, and also give you back a "confirmation code" that allows you to independently calculate the bitcoin address that went inside your product.  It allows you to prove that I didn't just give you an address of my own.

Of course, with this generator, the genie is out of the bottle, and you could create your own physical bitcoins yourself.
Pages:
Jump to: