Pages:
Author

Topic: Pywallet 2.2: manage your wallet [Update required] - page 22. (Read 207945 times)

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
Quick answers, I'll try to find the time to answer more precisely soon
1) the file you downloaded is not pywallet. Maybe a 404 HTML page. Open it with a text editor to be sure
2) --recov-device is either a drive or a file, depending on what you want or need
Activity: 19
Merit: 0
Im trying it now, but i have two basic questions Sad

I download the latest pywallet version, placed it in the same folder i had my previous one after deleting the first.
In the previous version (1.1 i think), when doing from command line a pywallet.py --version it would return the version, but in this case, when i simply do from the windows command line a pywallet.py --version, it returns this:

C:\Users\unknown user\Desktop\pywallet>pywallet.py --version
  File "C:\Users\unknown user\Desktop\pywallet\pywallet.py", line 4

^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

And second question:

in the command option s "c:\path\to\your\wallet.dat", if i am supposed to search within a deleted hard drive for wallets/keys, how can i point to a wallet? Should i point to the location where my wallet was before i erased the files?

thank you!
Ok I see! I think the file is badly corrupted

You should use the recovery: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2794856
Code:
python pywallet.py --recover --recov_device c:\path\to\your\wallet.dat --recov_size 30Gio --recov_outputdir c:\recoveredwalelt

The rest should be obvious
Tell me if anything goes bad
If this doesn't recover the keys you wanted then I really think they're gone

So as far as i can see, the recovery option will search for the wallet patter within a whole hard drive?

I thought it would try to fix a wallet, already recovered using some file recovering sofware as i did, instead.

Ok, tomorrow i'll try to use the tool over my old hard drive where i detected i had my old wallet deleted, i haven't used it ever since.

Ill let know how it works Smiley

thank you!
legendary
Ok I see! I think the file is badly corrupted

You should use the recovery: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2794856
Code:
python pywallet.py --recover --recov_device c:\path\to\your\wallet.dat --recov_size 30Gio --recov_outputdir c:\recoveredwalelt

The rest should be obvious
Tell me if anything goes bad
If this doesn't recover the keys you wanted then I really think they're gone
Im checking now your message.

I deleted by mistake my wallet (with all my computer info) and i was able to recover it using a program named "recuva", but i haven't been able to make it work.

I think i had my wallet encrypted too. So i dont know what to do to recover the coins (cents) in this case, is not just the money, but being ableto save the wallet and learn a procedure just in case this happens again. Smiley
legendary
Sent you a PM
Could you tell us what happened to this wallet?
Hi again, sorry for the delay reaplying.

Yes, i actually did try to open the wallet with bitcoin -qt and it keeps returning the error in the capture attached below.

Of course its OK senting it to you, i really want to know whats going wrong and how to solve this again if it happens in the future.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2v8ipls.jpg
legendary
Ok I got it but I had to do the rescan again. BTC really isn't ready for prime time when stuff like this happens.

I want to thank you for pywallet, but I wish the GUI was more informative...
I'll soon replace pywallet with another software
This one will be more informative

Thanks for the answer Jack, i still get this error, see captures of web and console interfaces:

PS. "unknown" is my username in this computer, not that the user name is unknown for the system or whatever problem you might figure out of it Smiley
Is Bitcoin running when you do this?

No Bitcoin client is not running when doing this. Should it be?

I follow these steps:

I open my cmd console, and execute from it on my desktop pywallet.py --web, and get the next message (see capture)

Then i open the web browser in the address http://localhost:8989/ And i get the next info in the console:

And when i set the path to my wallet and try to dump it, i get the next error in the console

Should i follow the first warning and install that package? "WARNING:root:pycrypto or libssl not found, decryption may be slow
'ecdsa' package is not installed, pywallet won't be able to sign/verify messages"

Thank you Smiley
Does your wallet.dat work with bitcoin-qt (please double-check)? If so, I don't see what can happen.
Is your file encrypted? If so, would you be ok to send it to me?

Thanks for the answer Jack, i still get this error, see captures of web and console interfaces:

PS. "unknown" is my username in this computer, not that the user name is unknown for the system or whatever problem you might figure out of it Smiley

No Bitcoin client is not running when doing this. Should it be?

I follow these steps:

I open my cmd console, and execute from it on my desktop pywallet.py --web, and get the next message (see capture)

http://i39.tinypic.com/2uxvbs1.jpg

Then i open the web browser in the address http://localhost:8989/ And i get the next info in the console:

http://i40.tinypic.com/27zkhnn.jpg

And when i set the path to my wallet and try to dump it, i get the next error in the console

http://i44.tinypic.com/2mhy6vk.jpg

Should i follow the first warning and install that package? "WARNING:root:pycrypto or libssl not found, decryption may be slow
'ecdsa' package is not installed, pywallet won't be able to sign/verify messages"

Thank you Smiley
Activity: 128
Merit: 100
Hi - what I am doing is starting the latest pywallet with --web

Bitcoin is not running

I then go to change passphrase and enter the passphase. I get no feedback as to whether it worked or not.

I goto the import key and import a priv8 key. The lines in the terminal says

2013-09-27 21:57:26-0400 [HTTPChannel,0,127.0.0.1] The wallet is encrypted and the passphrase is correct

The gui gives me the key and public key but it does that all the time, even when the password is wrong.

I quit pywallet

I run bitocin-qt

The key isn't there.

PLEASE tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Ok I got it but I had to do the rescan again. BTC really isn't ready for prime time when stuff like this happens.

I want to thank you for pywallet, but I wish the GUI was more informative...
Activity: 128
Merit: 100
Hi - what I am doing is starting the latest pywallet with --web

Bitcoin is not running

I then go to change passphrase and enter the passphase. I get no feedback as to whether it worked or not.

I goto the import key and import a priv8 key. The lines in the terminal says

2013-09-27 21:57:26-0400 [HTTPChannel,0,127.0.0.1] The wallet is encrypted and the passphrase is correct

The gui gives me the key and public key but it does that all the time, even when the password is wrong.

I quit pywallet

I run bitocin-qt

The key isn't there.

PLEASE tell me what I'm doing wrong.

legendary
Working on the recover problem right now
I hope the computer I'm currently using will be enough

Notepad++ can't count occurences of a word... I'll work on that later.
legendary
I'll try to inflate a wallet and see how the recovery behaves.

Good. As a last resort I'd be willing to remove the vanity/funded keys from this wallet and send it to you.
Thanks
I hope it won't be necessary though

The "p" in pebkac is either non-existent or really serious Smiley. Let me know if your tests run fine, so I'll make a new wallet and recover it, then I'll send you both files.
I still can't look at this in the following days I keep that in mind.

(American) English is my mother tongue, and I agree that JackWallet carries a negative connotation.  I don't want someone to jack my wallet.  "WalletJack" seems less negative, but I'd still stay away from it,
Thanks for your input, I definitely dismiss *jack*

When i try to recover my wallet (comes from thread https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/recover-corrupted-encrypted-wallet-291333) i get the next error on the web interface:

"Error in dump page"

i have installed python 2.7 and pywallet, i made the web interface working by opening a command mode, and placing my pywallet.py and pywallet.bat files on my desktop (where my wallet.dat is too) and running the next command  from the windows cmd console: "pywallet --info wallet.dat"

i am probably doing something wrong i known Sad
To run the web interface it's "pywallet --web".
Should work then. Otherwise tell me what is written in the console.

JackJackWallet.
Grin

http://i40.tinypic.com/14x1g9g.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/xp0u9d.jpg

legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

Good. As a last resort I'd be willing to remove the vanity/funded keys from this wallet and send it to you.
legendary
Oh yeah I misread!
So your wallet has 530 keys but pywallet only finds 255 of them.
I can't do much more where I currently am. All I know is that a brand new wallet is correctly.
legendary
Well, the 510 is still normal as pywallet imports both addresses for each private keys. 530 != 2*255 though...

And this isn't the recovered wallet but the original one.

Could you use -A 2 (Grin) to check that the following lines are
"secret": "xxxx"
Or maybe
...|grep -w sec -A 2 | grep -wc secret

Yes, "sec" is always followed by "secret".
legendary
I love grep, I should really think about using its options!

Well, the 510 is still normal as pywallet imports both addresses for each private keys. 530 != 2*255 though...
I can't reproduce so I don't know where this can come from.
Could you use -A 2 (Grin) to check that the following lines are
"secret": "xxxx"
Or maybe
...|grep -w sec -A 2 | grep -wc secret
legendary
As for the second matter, please grep this instead:
"sec":
Because there is an "hexsec" entry (which should make the count 510)

grep -w takes care of that, "Select only those lines containing matches that form whole words" Wink.
legendary
The first count can be wrong, hence the "X possible keys"
So it's normal than it's above the real number of private keys it imports
For instance with a new wallet (1 shown address + 100 pool addresses) I get that:
Starting recovery.

Read 0.0 Go in 0.0 minutes

Found 0 possible wallets
Found 0 possible encrypted keys
Found 159 possible unencrypted keys
The wallet is encrypted and the passphrase is correct

Importing:

Importing key    1/101:
You could compare a dump and a recovered wallet.
I'll check why it's so above though.

As for the second matter, please grep this instead:
"sec":
Because there is an "hexsec" entry (which should make the count 510)
I don't know where the 20 remaining occurences can come from
Pages:
Jump to: