Pages:
Author

Topic: Q: Why no PCIe ASIC miners? - page 2. (Read 315 times)

Activity: 1397
Merit: 221
July 07, 2022, 11:09:19 PM
For ASICS you dont need really a PC to run it , only for the config and setup , pluged into the wall and it starts.
More consumer oriented ASIC miners would be nice i agree on that.

You're right but the popularity of the Moonlander suggests there is a market for consumer ASIC miners, notwithstanding
the current market conditions. Maybe Intel, now that they build the chips, might consider it in time for the next bull market.
It'd be interesting if people could mine BTC directly for around $1k. It would help a lot with decentralization of the net hash.
legendary
Activity: 2996
Merit: 3114
July 07, 2022, 10:42:15 PM
I am curious why there are no ASIC miners in the form of a PCIe expansion card. It seems simpler and cheaper than
a standalone appliance.
Maybe the companies that manufacture the ASICS know that already and they dont looking for normal customers and want to sell there stuff to the big miner companies.
For ASICS you dont need really a PC to run it , only for the config and setup , pluged into the wall and it starts.
More consumer oriented ASIC miners would be nice i agree on that.
July 07, 2022, 12:33:52 PM
FPGAs are not ASICs, they aren't consumer friendly either, which is the point I raised.
All ASIC miners are monsters that need 220V and are designed for a data centre environment.
The lack of a more consumer oriented ASIC miner is what I'm questioning. If you don't think it's
worth discussing then don't discuss it.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1026
July 07, 2022, 12:13:25 PM
Fpga cards have been around for a long time.
Perhaps this is a technical issue that is easier to solve in a way that does not use PC mobo. What is the point of discussing this now if there are already ready-made solutions that are cheaper for the manufacturer.
July 07, 2022, 11:43:17 AM
I am curious why there are no ASIC miners in the form of a PCIe expansion card. It seems simpler and cheaper than
a standalone appliance. The ASIC controller would a driver on the host PC with only minimal FW required onthe card.
ASIC cards would be avaialable at lower price points opening the market to smaller operations.

The Future bit Moonllander was an interesting proof of concept but was limited to USB power and was effectively
just a toy. A PCIe expansion card would not be so limited.
Pages:
Jump to: