Pages:
Author

Topic: Quantum computer mining - page 2. (Read 12009 times)

legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007
April 30, 2012, 09:58:53 PM
Hopefully if Bitcoin is still around when a new computing technology is emerging that truly threatens the security of the SHA256 hashing we do now, we can rally enough support to get a mainline fork like P2SH to switch to a more secured hashing system for future blocks.  The hashing algorithm CAN be changed, even in the main Bitcoin chain, if the devs and the miners can all agree that the change is necessary for the currency to continue.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.
April 30, 2012, 09:53:13 PM
I'm intrigued by the possibility of a quantum Bitcoin mining platform. Quantum computers have already been theorized to be able to break the underlying mathematics behind hashing algorithms (see Shor's Algorithm.) Could quantum computers mine for Bitcoins at a much higher rate than what is achievable today?

What's the point when you get knocked back to 10 minutes per block like every other jackass on the block?

True. But it would still give you a lot of hashing power=money. Just wondering whether there would be a quantum algorithm to compute a very large number of hashes every second.
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222
brb keeping up with the Kardashians
April 30, 2012, 09:41:09 PM
I'm intrigued by the possibility of a quantum Bitcoin mining platform. Quantum computers have already been theorized to be able to break the underlying mathematics behind hashing algorithms (see Shor's Algorithm.) Could quantum computers mine for Bitcoins at a much higher rate than what is achievable today?

What's the point when you get knocked back to 10 minutes per block like every other jackass on the block?
April 30, 2012, 09:22:08 PM
I see. So it is still unknown whether SHA-128 is BQP...
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
April 30, 2012, 09:13:26 PM
Shor's Algorithm applies to prime factorization, which SHA256 doesn't use.

What you're looking for to crack SHA256 is Grover's Algorithm. Basically under classical models of computation the optimal way to find a matching hash is to simply search through the entire space yielding O(n). Under Quantum Computing the optimal time is O(n^0.5), which means effectively you have halved the key-length.

For SHA256, it effectively becomes SHA128 to a Quantum computer. Now the question remains, can a Quantum search for SHA128 faster than a classical computer search through SHA256?

With our current technology and for the foreseeable future, we still cannot build a Quantum computer that can yet begin to tackle this problem, let alone solve it in a time within our lifespan.

Thus SHA256 is considered "secure enough" for now.
April 30, 2012, 07:49:22 PM

Related information:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/gpu-mining-and-the-rise-of-quantum-computers-26788
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1585
Pages:
Jump to: