Pages:
Author

Topic: Question about mining on a laptop? - page 3. (Read 2314 times)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
April 02, 2014, 07:03:50 AM
Im sure alienware laptops would be good for alt coin mining, what do you guys think about that one
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
April 02, 2014, 05:34:07 AM
how to tell you, except that just play
Activity: 78
April 02, 2014, 05:26:29 AM
Sad

Well thanks for the answers I guess.
Activity: 294
April 02, 2014, 03:28:18 AM
There is a laptop currently on sale here for about $340 USD. It has an AMD E1-2100 dual core processor and AMD Radeon HD Graphics. I've been told that laptops are bad for mining because they can overheat but I also remember hearing that AMD graphics cards are excellent for mining.

Is the AMD Radeon HD Graphics good for mining scrypt coins? I know it's too late to mine bitcoin with it because everyone uses asics for sha256 coins nowadays. Is it possible to run the miner at, say, 50 % performance to prevent overheating? I also want to use the laptop for other things like web browsing so I don't want to slow everything down to a crawl either.

And finally, I know that a lot of people here think that scrypt asics will render gpu mining obsolete. Is this true? Are scrypt asics currently in development? And how much time will I have left before gpu mining becomes obsolete?

Thanks!!
Nope, it will not be worth it. The GPU will eventually break and you won't earn enough to cover the costs (unless you mine a new crypto-currency and it gets worth a lot!).

And yes, there are Scrypt-asics in development. Not sure if any of them has been released to the public yet though.
Activity: 308
April 02, 2014, 03:09:12 AM
Yes,laptops can overheat very quickly and can spoil in no time. AMD is good for mining,but the 4000-5000 series can't mine jack.It's possible to run the mining at lower intensities but at that rate,you'll hardly make a profit by mining Scrypt coins. 1Mh/s barely makes $1.5 profit a day. And gpus have almost become obsolete profitwise for scrypt. You'll never make RoI,not for a year,at least judging by what you want. Asic's are in development. Heck,some of them have even been completed and are mining for the manufacturer as we speak.

So,unless you have something else you want to use the laptop for other than mining,don't take it.
Activity: 78
April 02, 2014, 02:53:39 AM
There is a laptop currently on sale here for about $340 USD. It has an AMD E1-2100 dual core processor and AMD Radeon HD Graphics. I've been told that laptops are bad for mining because they can overheat but I also remember hearing that AMD graphics cards are excellent for mining.

Is the AMD Radeon HD Graphics good for mining scrypt coins? I know it's too late to mine bitcoin with it because everyone uses asics for sha256 coins nowadays. Is it possible to run the miner at, say, 50 % performance to prevent overheating? I also want to use the laptop for other things like web browsing so I don't want to slow everything down to a crawl either.

And finally, I know that a lot of people here think that scrypt asics will render gpu mining obsolete. Is this true? Are scrypt asics currently in development? And how much time will I have left before gpu mining becomes obsolete?

Thanks!!
Pages:
Jump to: