Pages:
Author

Topic: Question by a newbie - page 2. (Read 2368 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
February 17, 2016, 04:55:18 PM
Doesn't anyone find it odd that Google isn't anywhere near bitcoin or blockchain? If blockchain can do what I have read, there is no way that Google could afford to ignore it. Which makes me wonder if they had a hand in creating it. They leave it out for someone else to start, and just like that, they have created a new level of gathering data.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
February 17, 2016, 04:08:02 PM
My understanding of the blockchain technology is limited. That said, I have done a considerable amount of reading, and there are some things that I need help with. First, is the so-called Satoshi Nakamoto. I find it difficult to believe that only one person created this. In fact, when I consider what types of business stand to gain from the widespread use if blockchain, there is only one company that comes to mind. A company that profits by selling marketing data, a company that knows where I’ve been and where I plan to go. Why would this company that has so much to gain from blockchain create such a powerful tool, and just leave it on a virtual park bench for anyone to pick up and run with it? Do a search for blockchain technology, you will not find one mention of this company. A technology that could potentially change the world and the company that is positioned to gain the most is nowhere to be found. Doesn’t anyone else find that odd?

My concern is that the end game is complete transparency. Imagine a world where we all have our own unique QR code. This QR code is more than just a social security number. It can verify our birth, or educational achievements, our military service, our criminal history, and even hold our wealth. Our home, investments, pensions, and personal property will all be attached to this one QR code that identifies us as individuals. We use this QR code to start our car, and if we don’t pay the loan this month, the car doesn’t start. Likewise, we use this QR code to gain entry into our home, or perhaps the local country club. The QR code essentially becomes a pass that delineates us into those that can gain entry and those that cannot. All the while, there is a public ledger documenting that I failed to pay my mortgage this month, that I got a C in my high school Calculus test, or how long I wore that GPS bracelet that my parole officer put around my ankle.

My understanding of the blockchain technology is that it is a mechanism to provide accountability through a public ledger. What or whom stands to gain the most from the widespread use of blockchain technology? When viewed for its individual purposes, it shows incredible promise with endless possibilities. However, when I look at the location history of my smartphone, and I think of all of the additional data that will be added to it, It scares the shit out of me.    
Pages:
Jump to: