Pages:
Author

Topic: question on long term prices - page 3. (Read 513 times)

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1728
December 14, 2017, 12:43:20 PM
Hi, I am new to all this, but help me understand this. If there is a crypto coin that is very useful and has functional value, not just speculative, say it becomes very expensive. What is to stop someone from just creating their own coin that is the almost identical to it, and using it instead, so high prices are not paid for the other coin? How can all these coins maintain high values, when people can just create as many new coins as they want?

Your statements are contradictory. On one side, you are saying that a coin has utility. On the other side, you saying someone else make identical coin!
Now if Apple makes Mac Book, it doesn't mean anyone else can make computer with same specifications and can sell at same price as of Apple. Apple has brand name and userbase which is not easy to take up.
Similarly just creating a copy of coin (which is however possible), it is not possible to take up its operation and userbase. However, it is possible in case of speculative coin.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1293
There is trouble abrewing
December 14, 2017, 11:40:08 AM
price is based on demand and demand is not just based on functionality, it is also based on security.
for example if you create a exact copy of bitcoin (not these forks that are changing things) without changing anything, nobody will mine it, no mining means less security of the chain and that means no demand.

additionally because it will be a separate chain, anyone who have adopted bitcoin, if they want to adopt your chain too, they have to run your chain and that is not easy. so nobody would bother.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
December 14, 2017, 11:23:43 AM
Hi, I am new to all this, but help me understand this. If there is a crypto coin that is very useful and has functional value, not just speculative, say it becomes very expensive. What is to stop someone from just creating their own coin that is the almost identical to it, and using it instead, so high prices are not paid for the other coin? How can all these coins maintain high values, when people can just create as many new coins as they want?

Nobody, really.
But it's not enough just to clone the coin. You have to convince people to switch to your new coin or at least use it: miners, exchanges, traders.
If there's no gain behind it, nobody will follow you.

There are many Bitcoin clones (and I mean 1000% clones, same algorithm, same everything), then there are lightly changed coins (Litecoin, Dogecoin and many others, changed from algorithm to emission rules). Some have no success at all, some have moderate or even big success.
Activity: 144
Merit: 0
December 14, 2017, 11:19:38 AM
Pages:
Jump to: