Pages:
Author

Topic: Question on theory ... - page 2. (Read 1877 times)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0
July 23, 2013, 02:49:47 PM
It all depends on how much the difficulty goes up and the cost of equipment goes down.  If you bought an Avalon batch one, you would have had to spend most of what you made on a batch 3, and you'd make way less money on it. It would have been a lot better to buy two batch 1s.

If the difficulty goes up too quickly, then you reinvest and reinvest, but the amount of BTC you earn doesn't go up very much at all, you just use more and more electricity.

So really there is no way to know.

Yeah I see what you mean.  Ive done a bit of math and it seems to work out up to 100m difficulty.  Probably a lot more but only did 100m thus far.

At this point in time, you would be better off just buying bitcoins with USD than buying ANY equipment for mining. As above poster indicated, difficulty factor has been skyrocketing, and will continue exponentially in the coming days, weeks and months. Only a fool would spend bitcoins for mining rigs these days; unless you had mined when bitcoin was $1-2 each and have a reserve of bitcoins to wasted--then, please go ahead and buy ASIC miners, especially the BFL.

Im pretty dumb but it seems to me if I buy with USD 20 usb asics to start with that alone will recoup costs within 300ish days at current difficulty.  Of course by then it would be so high they would not end up paying for themselves.  HOWEVER if after say 2 weeks I have enough to buy another usb miner, this time with just bitcoin.  Now if I compared/counted the exchange rate for USD to bitcoin it will still not be profitable.  However consider I am in essence creating money out of thin air.  So why even bother compare it at this point.

So the first two weeks after getting the 20 miners I can add one more.  Then even less time after that I can add another, and so forth and so on.  Basically doing all this at only the cost of electricity and USB hubs which in my area is dirt cheap. 0.09 kw/h for electric and $25 for a hub.  At the point at which I double to 40 miners, thus reducing the orginal cost of miners break even point in half, or maybe a quarter at worst assuming difficulty jumps super sky high within 1-2 months.

Bascially I dont see how this isnt profitable.

At the very least I will end up mining enough BTC to buy a better/more efficient miner and replacing the costs of the original 20 miners.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
July 23, 2013, 02:01:17 PM
At this point in time, you would be better off just buying bitcoins with USD than buying ANY equipment for mining. As above poster indicated, difficulty factor has been skyrocketing, and will continue exponentially in the coming days, weeks and months. Only a fool would spend bitcoins for mining rigs these days; unless you had mined when bitcoin was $1-2 each and have a reserve of bitcoins to wasted--then, please go ahead and buy ASIC miners, especially the BFL.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
July 23, 2013, 12:51:16 PM
It all depends on how much the difficulty goes up and the cost of equipment goes down.  If you bought an Avalon batch one, you would have had to spend most of what you made on a batch 3, and you'd make way less money on it. It would have been a lot better to buy two batch 1s.

If the difficulty goes up too quickly, then you reinvest and reinvest, but the amount of BTC you earn doesn't go up very much at all, you just use more and more electricity.

So really there is no way to know.
Activity: 48
Merit: 0
July 23, 2013, 10:47:27 AM
Greetings,

First of all im sure someone smarter will come in here and explain to me why this is a bad idea, which I would be happy with and why im asking but ...

In theory if I buy 10 USB ASIC miners to start with in USD, and build up my BTC stash until I get enough to afford another miner, and so forth and so on.  Would this be profitable in comparison to buying all with USD?  According to the calculator im using once the difficulty goes up more, the usb asic miners will be worthless, or next to.  But that's assuming im buying them all with USD and not bitcoins.

Technically all I would lose out on would be the electric/USB Hub costs right?  Until I reach my specified qouta of miners, which im thinking about be about 100 right now.  Hmmm I wonder if one Raspberry Pi could run that many.
Pages:
Jump to: