Pages:
Author

Topic: Quick test if your Windows pc has been hacked. - page 3. (Read 3685 times)

Activity: 163
Merit: 10
Were you using two-factor authentication on your blockchain account? I was thinking that two-factor authentication makes one immune to getting your account hacked.  Am I wrong?

You can download backups of your blockchain account.

I thought first he had hacked my blockchain but apparently he just took the backup off my computer along with the rest.
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
Were you using two-factor authentication on your blockchain account? I was thinking that two-factor authentication makes one immune to getting your account hacked.  Am I wrong?
Activity: 39
Merit: 0
Why do you even use an admin account as your regular account? This is like running root for everything under Linux. I have trained some non-technical Windows users to always run their regular stuff as a non-admin user and they have never picked up a single virus in the past 10 years or so.
Windows Vista+ runs everything as an unprivileged user under UAC by default.
donator
Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012
Why do you even use an admin account as your regular account? This is like running root for everything under Linux. I have trained some non-technical Windows users to always run their regular stuff as a non-admin user and they have never picked up a single virus in the past 10 years or so.
Activity: 70
This is a quick tip for anyone using a Windows pc. My computer got hacked last week and if I had known it then I'd be richer.

I know this is probably common knowledge among tech types but I did not know it until too late.

1) Log into your Windows pc.

2) Create a second user without admin privileges.

3) restart.

4) Log into your regular account.

5) Look at the start button in the lower left.

6) Go to Switch User and go to your non admin account.

7) Log out of the non admin account.

Cool Log back into the main account.

9) Without moving the mouse or anything else, if you notice something different in the start button you should be worried.

I'm sure this belongs in a different section, so move it. Also sure it is well known, but as I said before I did not know it.

Briefly the hack.

1) Someone emptied the 3 bitcoin I had at Blockchain into the wallet 1GFXKAYNo1Urm3HeaxgoWBPSG9MFUkWFDX

2) Then they emptied a litecoin wallet that I had lost the password for and had stored on my computer.

3) etc etc

In my initial paranoia I though adobe flash was used. Apparently it was not.

My suspicion also focused on Fireball who I have criticized a lot. But although he runs a crooked exchange he honestly does not seem to be the type to steal in this way.

It does seem likely the hacking is related to other altcoins. I've been on the internet since the 90s and was never hacked. Then I downloaded a bunch of weird coin wallets and within weeks got hit.

The hacker used ip address 109.120.153.223

No really , is this a joke?
Like post this message 7 times or you'll get hit by a falling air conditioner?
Activity: 163
This is a quick tip for anyone using a Windows pc. My computer got hacked last week and if I had known it then I'd be richer.

I know this is probably common knowledge among tech types but I did not know it until too late.

1) Log into your Windows pc.

2) Create a second user without admin privileges.

3) restart.

4) Log into your regular account.

5) Look at the start button in the lower left.

6) Go to Switch User and go to your non admin account.

7) Log out of the non admin account.

Cool Log back into the main account.

9) Without moving the mouse or anything else, if you notice something different in the start button you should be worried.

I'm sure this belongs in a different section, so move it. Also sure it is well known, but as I said before I did not know it.

Briefly the hack.

1) Someone emptied the 3 bitcoin I had at Blockchain into the wallet 1GFXKAYNo1Urm3HeaxgoWBPSG9MFUkWFDX

2) Then they emptied a litecoin wallet that I had lost the password for and had stored on my computer.

3) etc etc

In my initial paranoia I though adobe flash was used. Apparently it was not.

My suspicion also focused on Fireball who I have criticized a lot. But although he runs a crooked exchange he honestly does not seem to be the type to steal in this way.

It does seem likely the hacking is related to other altcoins. I've been on the internet since the 90s and was never hacked. Then I downloaded a bunch of weird coin wallets and within weeks got hit.

The hacker used ip address 109.120.153.223
Pages:
Jump to: