Pages:
Author

Topic: [Quiz] Answer the Bitcoin question and earn merits! #1 - page 2. (Read 627 times)

Activity: 308
Merit: 448
Math + Code = Blockchain 😁
Question: The dominant mining pool, at the time of writing this, turns evil and uses its hash-power to reorg the chain. A customer of yours sends you a transaction. If you wait for 10 confirmations, what is the chance that the dominant mining pool successfully double-spends / reverses your transaction?

The chance depends on the fee rate used by your customer. Since the mining pool is dominating, if the fee is nice enough for them to add a single confirmation, others will have almost no choice than to confirm the transactions also as they proceed mining the block. The chance of being able to double spend the transaction reduces as the number of confirmation increases until it eventually becomes  zero at exactly 6 confirmations when the transaction has been validated successfully.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Love a quiz.

To get a more accurate estimate, you would need access to data such as the hash power distribution among mining pools, the current network difficulty, and historical data on reorgs and double-spend attacks. Additionally, factors such as network security measures (e.g., checkpoints, alert systems etc etc....) and the response of other miners and nodes to a reorg attempt can also affect the outcome.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1094
Question: The dominant mining pool, at the time of writing this, turns evil and uses its hash-power to reorg the chain. A customer of yours sends you a transaction. If you wait for 10 confirmations, what is the chance that the dominant mining pool successfully double-spends / reverses your transaction?

Cut-off date: 23/03/2024.
Foundry USA has 30.74% of the bitcoin total global hashrate. If he waits for 10 confirmations, he will have the risk of chain reorg reduced to 5.11%.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo

I decided to start these forum quiz-series, where I'll be asking questions of educational character, to improve the average user's knowledge around Bitcoin. The questions will mostly be technical and historical. To create an incentive, I will generously merit the first person who replies with the correct answer. If that is not good enough incentive, I'll create a leaderboard!

• Your answer needs to be explanatory. Not just a yes-no or a single number.
  • If nobody finds the answer until the cut-off date, I will submit it.
  • Have fun! It's a game.  Smiley

Cut-off date: 23/03/2024.
Pages:
Jump to: