Pages:
Author

Topic: Raspberry Pi 4 performance - page 4. (Read 1307 times)

legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131
July 29, 2019, 12:21:48 PM
So I second OP request to know more on validating/syncing blockcahin.

The author of the tweet I mentioned earlier still hasn't posted the results yet.

Re:SSD, in my experience they are not meant to be used as a constant R/W devices like an hard disk, so I have been told their use as mass storage is not optimal and quite prone to errors and data corruption.

That's how I would describe SD cards. SSDs improved a lot in the past few years. They have become affordable and reliable. Some SSDs last longer than advertised, but every device is prone to failure at some point. Why would anyone use them if they were not meant to be used for constant reads and writes?
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 15144
Fully fledged Merit Cycler - Golden Feather 22-23
July 29, 2019, 05:15:43 AM
I run a full node on Rapi3+.
I followed Stadicus Guide and translated it in Italian (in signature) to help other running their own node.

For a series of mishaps my block.dat got corrupted, so I had the blockchain download in my SSD and I had the Raspi to validate it.
It took more than a month to fully validate the blockchain back in february.

Of course this is not what it is meant to be, but of course improved CPU performance and RAM are a more than welcome upgrade in this case.
So I second OP request to know more on validating/syncing blockcahin.

Re:SSD, in my experience they are not meant to be used as a constant R/W devices like an hard disk, so I have been told their use as mass storage is not optimal and quite prone to errors and data corruption.

Waiting a little bit to put my hands on a Raspi4 because of I heard of a few minor design flaws in the board.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/07/raspberry-pi-4-uses-incorrect-usb-c-design-wont-work-with-some-chargers/
Nothing too relevant,. but waiting they get rid of their stocks and design a new board version.
legendary
July 20, 2019, 04:21:57 PM
Samorai retweeted a tweet of a user who is currently synchronising a full Bitcoin node on the latest Raspberry Pi. I will keep you updated on the sync time but the problem is that this users is using an SSD which is going to affect the performance. I have switched to NVMe drive from HDD and the difference was huge.
legendary
July 08, 2019, 05:15:08 PM
I don't see why not just you couldn't stay with HDD. Sure it's slower, but if you want to run a full node (no pruned mode) then it makes sense to get a 4TB one and forget about hitting a limit for years.

I have started ditching HDDs mostly because they are much slower than SSDs (especially NVMe ones) and they are not shockproof. I wouldn't use an SSD for a budget build like the one with a Raspberry Pi, but spending $120 on a 1 TB SSD is a good deal if you are setting up a server which is supposed to handle a few different tasks beside running Bitcoin Core and LND.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183
July 08, 2019, 10:21:13 AM
SD Cards are trash. If you wanted to stay digital then SSD is the way to go... but most likely you will be forced to run pruned mode pretty soon since the big TB drives are pretty expensive.

I don't see why not just you couldn't stay with HDD. Sure it's slower, but if you want to run a full node (no pruned mode) then it makes sense to get a 4TB one and forget about hitting a limit for years.
legendary
July 07, 2019, 01:02:30 PM
If at all possible do not run it on the SD card. Get an external drive and make it an SSD

Despite of decreasing SSDs prices, they are still quite expensive if you compare them to HDDs (especially used ones). If he is willing to use a Raspberry Pi then he probably wants to spend as little money as possible. Also, high capacity SD cards are way more expensive than SSDs. Thank you Dave for warning us against something that nobody would do.
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
July 07, 2019, 09:10:41 AM
I can't say this strongly enough.

IF you really want to run a node on an RPi think about the following.

If at all possible do not run it on the SD card. Get an external drive and make it an SSD

If you can't or don't want to. GET A GOOD SD CARD. There are good cheap ones out there but they are few and far between, spend the money and get a real name brand.
The cheap ones degrade quickly and core does a lot of reads & writes.

-Dave
legendary
July 06, 2019, 02:41:17 PM
Looking to get one of these soon. Which variant are you looking at the 1gb, 2 gb or 4 gb?

It says below im looking for 4 GB. I don't get why you would get any less... if you wanted to use it as a desktop computer as well you want at least 4. If you wanted to run a Windows node for some reason definitely impossible without less than 4 GB or at least not without a big PITA.

Dont got one yet but the raspberry pi can handle 1gib connections and with the 4gib of memory it will boil down to your hard disk speeds.

CPU was the biggest bottleneck when it came to synchronising with the network. Depending on the task, the CPU seems to be up to 3 times faster which is a huge improvement. No one has tested it yet with Bitcoin Core.

Not only the CPU but the Ethernet was capped at 300mpbs which was a big bottleneck if you had high speed optical fiber of 1 GBPS which you can take advantage of now with the 4 version. 4 GB doesn't hurt. Ideally we want 8 for the next release.
legendary
July 06, 2019, 12:25:51 PM
Dont got one yet but the raspberry pi can handle 1gib connections and with the 4gib of memory it will boil down to your hard disk speeds.

CPU was the biggest bottleneck when it came to synchronising with the network. Depending on the task, the CPU seems to be up to 3 times faster which is a huge improvement. No one has tested it yet with Bitcoin Core.
Activity: 1568
Merit: 544
July 06, 2019, 07:21:51 AM
2) Time to download and sync the entire blockchain
3) Time to sync exiting copy of the blockchain
legendary
July 05, 2019, 09:00:45 PM
The Raspberry Pi 4 is here, if someone gets one, could you post performance input including:

1) Time for the Bitcoin wallet to open
2) Time to download and sync the entire blockchain
3) Time to sync exiting copy of the blockchain

+ any other relevant performance info.

State your OS and your storage device.

Interested in the 4 GB version..
Pages:
Jump to: