Pages:
Author

Topic: Raspi 4 for Bitcoin Node: Still Compatible? - page 3. (Read 486 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1954
November 09, 2023, 08:33:13 AM
The Pi has very slow disk speeds over USB, which causes disk cache to build up. Once the cache nears 8GB, all operations will be sent to disk and become extremely slow. This is made worse if you are trying to run other services as well. We no longer recommend the Pi for Bitcoin under any configuration”[/i]
Yea, slow disk speeds and limited RAM can lead to a bottleneck which would cause the whole system to slow down in future.

I was actually looking into getting a Raspi on either StartOS or Umbrel OS to enhance my self-sovereign computing journey with many apps on top of it. Should I refrain from getting one? What are some best "starter packs" out there for node nubies?
UmbrelOS looks fine for me if you still going with the Raspberry Pi. The interface is very user-friendly. Good side-effect: If you decide to use other hardware over time, you will most likely be able to continue using UmbrelOS because it is compatible with most hardware options.

If you asked me for a personal opinion, I would recommend an Intel NUC.
There are of course many versions of hardware there. I think with a good i5 and 16gb RAM you are on the safe side. As storage I would recommend 1TB SSD to ensure enough speed and storage for the blockchain data.

You are then also flexible whether you want to use umbrelOS or a full node via Bitcoin Core.

Of course there are also cheaper solutions as @mocacinno already mentioned. That's up to each individual, but the NUCs have proven themselves time and again to be the most powerful Mini-PCs over the years.
It's a shame that the production of new devices is now stopped.
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 4911
https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC
November 09, 2023, 08:08:56 AM
You could always go for a refurbished mini pc... Amazon sells them pretty cheap, and usually with a 1 year warrantee... For example:
https://www.amazon.com/HP-EliteDesk-Quad-Core-Professional-Bit-Multi-Language-English/dp/B08KSGKHVS/ref=sr_1_2?c=ts&keywords=Mini%2BComputers&qid=1699531680&refinements=p_n_condition-type%3A16907720011&s=pc&sr=1-2&ts_id=13896591011&th=1

This one costs about double of an rPi, but it has an i5, 16G DDR4 ram... You'll need one with a bigger disk tough, but i've seen them being sold for about the same price in the past. I'm not affiliated with amazon, nor with the seller of this device... Always use your due diligence and only buy from sellers with a good trust rating that offer some form of reasonable guarantee.

If you don't mind spending in the ~$250 range, you could even go for a new one like this: https://www.amazon.com/KAMRUI-Desktop-Computers-Computer-Dual-Band/dp/B0CF21D846/ref=sr_1_3?crid=39L6B2YW22OEE&keywords=mini%2Bpc%2B1%2BTb&qid=1699531997&sprefix=mini%2Bpc%2B1%2Btb%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-3&th=1

1Tb Nvme ssd disk, 16Gb ram, a mobile cpu (which isn't all that great, but it should be sufficient)...

I realize the price difference between one of these mini pc's and an rpi is steep, but you do get more bang for your buck...
Activity: 1
Merit: 14
November 09, 2023, 07:55:05 AM
Hi everyone,

It's been several months since I started digging into the technical aspect of Bitcoin and finally, I decided to run a node myself.

And I heard this thing that Raspi isn't a sustainable option for the Bitcoin core node. And here's what he said.

Start9 no longer recommends the use of PI for Bitcoin. Even the 8 GB is beginning to have trouble with IBD due to the increase in the blockchain size when ordinals. Matt Hill addresses that here “The Raspberry Pi, even the 8GB, is rapidly becoming obsolete. The UTXO set has grown tremendously over the last year and is now around 8GB in size. The Pi has very slow disk speeds over USB, which causes disk cache to build up. Once the cache nears 8GB, all operations will be sent to disk and become extremely slow. This is made worse if you are trying to run other services as well. We no longer recommend the Pi for Bitcoin under any configuration”

I was actually looking into getting a Raspi on either StartOS or Umbrel OS to enhance my self-sovereign computing journey with many apps on top of it. Should I refrain from getting one? What are some best "starter packs" out there for node nubies?
Pages:
Jump to: