Pages:
Author

Topic: Rational egoism vs. Utilitarianism - page 5. (Read 11105 times)

legendary
Activity: 1199
Merit: 1012
November 17, 2012, 12:01:04 PM
would you sacrifice your happiness if it maximizes a group's(or worlds) happiness.

World's happiness = sum of happinesses of each individual (including me)
My happiness = -
My pain = +
My psychological pain = weighted sum of my problems

Society injects utilitarian values into my mind, thus for each person P: his/her pain becomes my problem with weight W[P]

I think every person maximizes his/her "My happiness". Though if values of W[P] are high enough, then this behavior is indistinguishable from maximizing "World's happiness".
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
You are WRONG!
November 17, 2012, 11:55:18 AM
In the push-a-button case, he might have rationalized it as: my extra happiness would outweigh the average happiness of a person(or indirect happiness caused by the now dead person), therefor it maximizes the global happiness.

If all you are concerned with is global average happiness, then you can ignore a little local unhappiness. This is "missing the trees for the forest," and if everyone does this, your "little local unhappiness" will be repeated everywhere, until the whole world is unhappy.

Make your life better, and perhaps those of the ones you love, and if everyone does this, the world will be happy.
No. *insert generic poor black people in Africa argument here*.

also would you make your life better and a higher cost of someone else?
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
November 17, 2012, 11:37:25 AM
In the push-a-button case, he might have rationalized it as: my extra happiness would outweigh the average happiness of a person(or indirect happiness caused by the now dead person), therefor it maximizes the global happiness.

If all you are concerned with is global average happiness, then you can ignore a little local unhappiness. This is "missing the trees for the forest," and if everyone does this, your "little local unhappiness" will be repeated everywhere, until the whole world is unhappy.

Make your life better, and perhaps those of the ones you love, and if everyone does this, the world will be happy.
legendary
November 17, 2012, 11:24:58 AM

Oh, how true.. he also considered happiness of his wife )
legendary
You are WRONG!
November 17, 2012, 11:09:35 AM
Nice one.

But utilitarianism is not that simple. When you think about it, in most cases it's more like rational egoism but expanded to group of people you are in contact with. You cannot possibly be able to optimize for sum of happiness on the planet (too little information, too little computational power).
in reality that is true. but this is philosophy it does not care about reality(we all know that it does not exist anyway: solipsism Wink ). it might be better to explain utilitarianism as: would you sacrifice your happiness if it maximizes a group's(or worlds) happiness.

A rational Egoist might also be nice to others because it makes him happy. I don't know about you, but when I see a smile on my daughter's face, it brightens my day right up.
True. I guess i might have described it a little bit too rough.

Rational egoism is based on human nature, whereas utilitarianism is just a nice idealistic concept. To be honest, not many people really care about sufferings of unknown people that are far away.

Though upbringing in society usually injects utilitarian values into human mind (and it is difficult to overcome them), thus it is person's best interest to do something good for society if it is not too expensive for him/her personally.
the pic says nothing about utilitarianism vs. rational egoism, only about value of human life...  a utilitarian does not necessarily against killing people(eg. he would have killed Hitler). In the push-a-button case, he might have rationalized it as: my extra happiness would outweigh the average happiness of a person(or indirect happiness caused by the now dead person), therefor it maximizes the global happiness.
legendary
November 17, 2012, 10:46:46 AM
Rational egoism is based on human nature, whereas utilitarianism is just a nice idealistic concept. To be honest, not many people really care about sufferings of unknown people that are far away.

Though upbringing in society usually injects utilitarian values into human mind (and it is difficult to overcome them), thus it is person's best interest to do something good for society if it is not too expensive for him/her personally.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
November 17, 2012, 10:10:37 AM
its critical to see that the rational egoist, does not have to be a complete asshole. eg. if he/she does not want to die sad and lonely, he/she should be friendly to people. while a Utilitarist would just be friendly to people because it makes them happy(and therefor maximizes global happiness)

A rational Egoist might also be nice to others because it makes him happy. I don't know about you, but when I see a smile on my daughter's face, it brightens my day right up.
Activity: 247
Merit: 252
November 17, 2012, 09:36:51 AM
Nice one.

But utilitarianism is not that simple. When you think about it, in most cases it's more like rational egoism but expanded to group of people you are in contact with. You cannot possibly be able to optimize for sum of happiness on the planet (too little information, too little computational power).
legendary
You are WRONG!
November 17, 2012, 09:20:32 AM
The two stand points explained simply:

Rational egoism: Do what maximizes happiness for you.
Utilitarianism: Do what maximizes happiness in the world.

i do know that there are other moral standpoints, but choose not to include them.
its critical to see that the rational egoist, does not have to be a complete asshole. eg. if he/she does not want to die sad and lonely, he/she should be friendly to people. while a Utilitarist would just be friendly to people because it makes them happy(and therefor maximizes global happiness)

pick your vote, and discuss.
Pages:
Jump to: