Pages:
Author

Topic: Re: Do we really need so many kinds of coins? - page 3. (Read 2478 times)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0
Although diversity is good, a lot of altcoins released these days are pump and dump scams.  I'm staying away for now and using "major" players  Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195
Think of Bitcoin as the mighty US Dollar or the Great British Pound, and Doge and Coinye as worthless Zimbabwean Dollars lol.

Didn't Zimbabwe start using US dollars?

Yes, although they also use other stronger currencies too.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Hodl!
Wahhh! FREE MARKETS SUCK! WAHHH! :p

We must pray to almighty Gov to save us.
Activity: 3
Think of Bitcoin as the mighty US Dollar or the Great British Pound, and Doge and Coinye as worthless Zimbabwean Dollars lol.

Didn't Zimbabwe start using US dollars?
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195
Activity: 4
I think the more coins the better (at least more non direct clones of other coins.) because as people modify and adapt new coins they bring new ideas to the table. In the end they all help out by proving or disproving difrent aspects of the whole virtiual/crypto curency trade and manufacturing.

Bitcoin and Litecoin are at the moment the only coins that have got anywhere (my opinion ofcause) and they arnt without thire flaws. The more coins we have the more chance  the holes get pluged in what ever becomes the next Bitcoin.
Activity: 262
Merit: 250
I don't think we need most of the coins that are out there, and many of them will likely die off similar to the dot boom bust era.
Activity: 8
We don't, but probably the question is:- why not?  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078
I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.
I don't think variation among coins is like that of natural languages.  Yet I don't see the harm in many currencies.  A lot of this provides low stakes testing opportunities.  IMHO.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Short answer 'no' most new coins are a disgrace to Bitcoin.  Sad
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
Wahhh! FREE MARKETS SUCK! WAHHH! :p
Activity: 1
Well, rigth now they just come out and go, and if they pass the "survival test" they continue to develop further. It's more like if they get to have a significant support from people in a small window of time, because almost every day another cryptocurrency pops out.
DCP
Activity: 110
Merit: 10
Thats some good info you're posting there buddy

Thanks, I found it really informative.
Activity: 432
Merit: 250
Bitrated user: Foex.
If there is one master currency, that is considered easiest to manipulate everyone.

A good point.. but again, crypto are in a different league. I min all sort of coins are there, and some of them sounds unrealistic to be a coin. For eg..hamstercoin, mousecoin, batmancoin (check the alt currncy forum).

Who will buy such coins where they are meant for the pump and dump purpose. The developers develp their coin and probably 4gt abt it. Probably a way to get rich.  Wink
Activity: 42
Thats some good info you're posting there buddy
DCP
Activity: 110
Merit: 10
The "coins" are much more then just a way to send/receive/store money. They represent a software platform that can eliminate labour in all types of financial transactions, some good info here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs6F91dFYCs&feature=share&list=UUC3L8QaxqEGUiBC252GHy3w&index=1

I think many of the coins that don't offer anything unique except branding will stay worthless, one's that allow you to have an anonymous chat room or store images, data easily, etc will be worth more. The value is partly based on what they can do..
Activity: 20
I would have to agree with someone who said that there are so many languages in the world - why there can't be a wide range of coins for any group of people? Like with languages - there are always a well-established and widely used languages, for example - English. However, there are always place for dialects of English that is used is different parts of world. And then there is German, French, Chinese, etc. Do you know how many dialects of Chinese are spoken?

If having their “own” coin benefits some part of “alt-coin” community, or they just find it funny to be a alt-coin millionaires – let them be!  Smiley
Activity: 14
you will be able to trade between them all so again it's not a bad thing.
Activity: 2
Diversity is good thing, in general. However, we are now having so many crypto currencies! Most of them will never be used for any real life trading (i.e. buy/sell tangible goods).

Hopefully, after the initial surge, market will regulate itself, and we'll end up with 2-3 core crypto currencies.

Sort of where we are at right now. There will always be a number of top coins, and massive amount's of penny coins with (even more) erratic value.
Activity: 4
Within the world there are many real currencies, nearly one for every country, so I can't see that this is a bad thing!!

Many won't amount to much, and you will be able to trade between them all so again it's not a bad thing.
Pages:
Jump to: