Pages:
Author

Topic: RE-EDIT**EDIT*: How to SAFELY sell Bitcoins on eBay - page 4. (Read 21829 times)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10
MEC - MFLtNSHN6GSxxP3VL8jmL786tVa9yfRS4p
From the buyers side where is a safe and reasonable way to buy BTC for / USD
Activity: 373
Merit: 250
I suspect that sometime soon, its going to be a violation of eBay policy to trade in Bitcoins......
legendary
Activity: 1014
Merit: 1003
VIS ET LIBERTAS
I can't even tell you how many coins I've sold on there. Usually I do it in like .1, .5 increments. Its GOOD money. People on eBay know about bitcoins, but thats about all they know. They have no idea how to "get" bitcoins. So, they have no problem paying a premium to buy into something they otherwise wouldn't have the knowledge to do.
  Could you show us one of your ebay listings?
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000
Activity: 476
Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.
If people want easy, just use localbitcoins. Now that is easy to buy/sell.
Hell of a lot faster and tiny fees and little to no mark up.
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
Great! I've been looking for a way to do this Smiley
legendary
Activity: 896
There are quite a few holes in this method even if it has worked for you it won't work for long.
Explain them to me
Activity: 98
There are quite a few holes in this method even if it has worked for you it won't work for long.
Activity: 574
Toy have been lucky.  eBay is a hard ass when it comes ro digital goods.  I believe whole hearted we can thank the slew of "internet marketers" and the backing bookoo amount of scam ebooks for this.  Furthermore eBay freaks over digital items further due to copyright issues. In the end lot's of legitimate sellers suffer. No matter how you do this btc is digital goods.  PayPal knows this and rightfully so does eBay. 

All someone has to do at the very least is play stupid.  You could call it the not as disclosed card being pulled but in any case it's a little more effective for a sammer or hell even a moron to back out of the charge if he plays a victim of his or her own ignorance.  So many people have tried this.  Some are as said about you. .. pretty luck driven.  But to what end? Sure you are selling small amounts and do not feel worried.  But what of the dipshit that heats you up for a few btc .5 at a time.  You lose more then btc and shipping.  Add your fees your own seller rep and hell maybe your accounts as a whole.  That's a  rather hard gamble.
pwi
Activity: 118
I no longer sell anything on ebay.  I was flagged, questioned, had auctions cancelled, and was forced to submit to a 'digital' body cavity search that would make even the most adventurous TSA agent blush; all for auctioning an unopened Windows 8 RT tablet under retail.  No smartasses; I wasn't flagged because it was an RT tablet  Tongue

They didn't like the buy it now price undercutting power sellers.  They wanted clarification regarding certain pieces of the listing's content.  Of course they waited until 1 hour before the auction closed to let me know.  Having sold a few items via ebay; I let them know in no uncertain terms that my business as a consumer and vendor will be taken elsewhere.  I don't think they've noticed that I haven't logged in since.

Somewhere along the internet experience we all got this idea that we need some "trusted" intermediary to facilitate transactions between consenting adults.  All this trust has come at a great cost of both finances in the form of fees and chargebacks; and privacy - ebay shouldn't know I like used adult toys, nitrous cartridges, Bitcoin, and My Little Pony.  Google doesn't even know about my Pinkie Pie fetish...yet.

What ever happened to the internet of the 90's when I could send a stranger cash in the mail and they would send me a "like-new" novelty vibrating Rabbit I could be proud to give good old Mom on Mother's Day?  I know; I'm getting old.  I also know that I'm sick Grin

I am PWI and I don't do Ebay.  I prefer the YOUandMEbay - the BTC way.
Activity: 23
Hmm thanks for the info, looks like it's worth a shot.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
why are ebay bitcoins selling at such a high markup?  is it all due to risk of chargebacks?? what is ebay/paypal total fee % nowadays??  I cant picture spending $150+ for 1btc, I would rather just try CL or something.
Because it's easy to buy them.  Think about the hell people have been through trying to buy Bitcoins through Coinbase, or MtGox.  People WANT Bitcoins, but they can't figure out how to actually buy them legitimately without waiting for two months or having to send everything but the kitchen sink as verification for their account.
Activity: 10
I've wondered about this.  So you haven't had much trouble selling these on eBay?   ???No one has attempted to scam you or dispute the charge?
Activity: 386
Merit: 251
why are ebay bitcoins selling at such a high markup?  is it all due to risk of chargebacks?? what is ebay/paypal total fee % nowadays??  I cant picture spending $150+ for 1btc, I would rather just try CL or something.
legendary
I am not pulling anyone's leg here. Of course its always good to do your due-diligence, but no matter what the method there is always a possibility of being scammed. This method seriously minimizes it. There is a huge potential to be scammed for any transaction you do on here...so whats the answer to that? Its anyone's right to think what they want of this method, but I have sold (I don't know how many coins) $2000 worth of bitcoins using this method and never had an issue. If thats enough assurance for you, use this method. If you want to remain paranoid and think up every possible "what if" thats fine, too.

EDIT: Also, I have had people order one of my listings, and then when they see how it is they will receive their coins they ask me to cancel the transaction (likely would-be scammers).
legendary
It isn't scamproof (nothing is except maybe shipping goods AFTER getting bitcoins Smiley.

ebay allows dispute "not as described".  Ebay will allow the buyer to send the goods back and then will get a full refund.

Pay
Receive
Send photo
Transfer BTC
Dispute
Get money back.

Buyers have been abusing "not as described disputes" for years.  Usually it justs the seller the sale (plus expense and hassle of return, funds on hold, etc).
https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/How-to-use-PayPal-Archive/Buyers-abusing-quot-not-as-described-quot-to-force-refund-when/td-p/15414

That's why they send you a message and you take a screenshot on blockchain. If the customer opens a case that item was "not as described" you have those to show eBay.

Example:
"Dispute: Not a described. Seller claimed he would fund the cert with x Bitcoins but he did not.  I wish to return this worthless cert as it is not as described.  Please help me PayPal I feel the seller is trying to take advantage of people.  I will gladly pay return shipping"

I feel it is dangerous to be advertising a "safe" method of selling on ebay, especially in the noob forum.  While it certainly is safER than do an online transaction it is hardly safe.  Even if you win the dispute, the scammer can just have the credit card company chargeback the funding transaction, and PayPal will reverse it on you in response.  Buyer's protection doesn't cover chargebacks related to "not as described".

11.5 Items/transactions not eligible for PayPal Seller protection. The following are examples of items/transactions not eligible for PayPal Seller protection.
Claims or Chargebacks for Significantly Not as Described.
Items that you deliver in person, including in connection with In-Store Checkout.
Intangible items, including Digital Goods, and services.
PayPal Direct Payments.
 Virtual Terminal Payments.
PayPal Business Payments.
Items that are not shipped to the recipient's shipping address on the Transaction Details Page. If you originally ship the item to the recipient's shipping address on the Transaction Details Page but the item is later redirected to a different address, you will not be eligible for PayPal Seller protection. We therefore recommend not using a shipping service that is arranged by the buyer, so that you will be able to provide valid proof of
shipping and delivery.

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full#11. Protection for Sellers.
Does the screenshot of the transaction on blockchain with timestamp mean nothing? You can think through what if scenarios all day, I'll be selling my bitcoins on ebay for literally almost 200% markup.
Activity: 28
... and end up -$50 to -$100 after chargebacks.

....and end up with a frozen or restricted account.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
I known you tried with this guide, but it's still a place where so many get scammed, it is best to just avoid using it entirely.

What attracts so many sellers to eBay for example is the high markup price they can sell for. Browse the sold listings and you can see sales with over +$50-150 markup.

... and end up -$50 to -$100 after chargebacks.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
good idea, thanks for the tip. Last year I made a small 3 digits loss on ebay because of paypal chargebacks of bitcoins. Learned my lesson

It was bad even a year ago?

If PayPal is an 'eBay company', and if PayPal does not allow the sale of BitCoin, then why doesn't eBay prevent its sale? There is no restriction at all for selling BitCoin on eBay, only with using PayPal for the payment.

Any restriction on PayPal is defacto a restriction on ebay as you MUST accept PayPal as a condition of listing on ebay.  Just because ebay doesn't kill every listing within seconds doesn't mean they support it.  There are something like 20 million auctions on ebay at any particular time.  It simply isn't cost effective to monitor them all continually.

It would be like a cop stops you for speeding 75 in a 60.  You say to the cop "if speeding is illegal then why didn't someone stop me yesterday when I was speeding?  Obviously you must be incorrect and speeding is not illegal"  Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: