Pages:
Author

Topic: Re: How 'Anonymous' is Bitcoin? - page 3. (Read 5011 times)

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000
October 14, 2014, 05:55:32 AM
IP logging can be an issue with bitcoins. Here is more info on the anonymity part of bitcoin: https://bitcoin.org/en/protect-your-privacy
use Tor or i2p with bitcoin.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
October 14, 2014, 05:20:02 AM
IP logging can be an issue with bitcoins. Here is more info on the anonymity part of bitcoin: https://bitcoin.org/en/protect-your-privacy
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
October 14, 2014, 03:40:36 AM
There are a number of ways you lose your privacy with bitcoin.

You need to connect to other nodes for blocks, so your IP is revealed.

Spv wallets - the nodes these connect to have the IP, and a huge list of addresses all owned by that person.

All transaction history is public, unchangeable, so retrospective analysis is possible. If you were up to no good on the silkroad, imagine the FBI set up a node to service SPV clients? And they logged the IP of owners of addresses linked to the silk road? Are you sure you removed that key from your wallet? :-p

Into transactions now.. Services that use multisig are bad for privacy if you don't tumble coins. If you pay into a multisig address s, coins can't be mixed up (not talking about bitfog here, just the wallet preferentially spending older coins to keep fees low - this means seller might get diff coins to the one you lodged). So, if I have a list of multisig addresses a marketplace used, I can learn the address of the buyer and seller.

If someone redeems the funds from the multisig, everyone learns the public keys of the people involved. Imagine you keep that key in your wallet, expecting to never use it again... But your node gives away that you own it by bloom filters mentioned above?

There is a full stack of software to understand.. Plus, have you read all the research papers on the topic? Martin and Harrigans was in 2011, so you've plenty to read from between now and then.

You seem knowledgeable.  So please answer this:  if I change the Bitcoin address every time I send money to somebody using my heavy Armory client, isn't that 100% anonymous?  Or is ISP/internet address recorded in the XYZ Gibabit 'blockchain' in every transaction, regardless of whether or not you change the Bitcoin address?  Assume also I've received money at my Armory client, using a Bitcoin address, but assume that every time I receive money, I always change the Bitcoin address.

TonyT
Pages:
Jump to: