Pages:
Author

Topic: Reason for ending gambling sessions: Had something else to do - page 3. (Read 435 times)

copper member
Activity: 658
Merit: 402
This is kinda interesting to see. But maybe those who answered they have something else to do that's why they stop, are gamblers who are not that addicted to gambling. Because if they are, they will always make time to gamble. But seeing their reason, it's obvious that gambling is not their priority. Perhaps they want to win money, but when they have something else to do, they will stop.

I guess I understand why they have that reason because personally, I would also stop gambling because I have something else to do. It's like, I have other priorities that I need to focus on rather than gambling. Running out of money can also be a reason, but if you are a smart gambler, you don't want to reach the point that you're running out of money before you will stop.

Activity: 1204
Merit: 38
That's an interesting stats to know, the number of people who participated on the survey is not huge but its still the replica of most of the gamblers emotions and behaviors.Its true that if we want to stop something then we have to spend more time on other things and gambling is no exception to that.Hope this might helps for someone who wants to stop gambling.
Activity: 1596
Merit: 335
I used to gamble on my free time before, and now that most of my time is occupied by my job, which I would rather choose to rest than to gamble since it is exhausting, I barely open any gambling site or even play poker with my friends. Diversion can help lessen or stop gambling addiction. It is either you let yourself drowning from gambling addiction or you set your priorities straight.
copper member
Activity: 2324
Merit: 2142
Slots Enthusiast & Expert
Interesting findings from "A national survey of online gambling behaviours" by Columb & O'Gara (2017)

A total of 208 users participated in the online survey. The most popular gambling activity played was Sports Betting (26.9%) and the most commonly used device was Mobile app (68.6%). The main reason for gambling online was ‘To win money’ (84.6%), the main reason for ending gambling sessions – ‘Had something else to do’ (67.3%) and the most prominent emotion experienced – Excitement (60.6%). There were findings related to the severity of gambling addiction (75% – had to borrow or sell to fund gambling) and their attitudes towards online gambling (strongly agreed – 39.9% – The potential dangers of gambling should be advertised).
Source: https://sci-hub.tw/10.1017/ipm.2017.64

* Sportsbetting via a mobile app is the mainstream;
* Main reason to gamble is to win money; and
* Contrary to my belief, the most popular reason for ending gambling sessions is "had something else to do," and not because "running out of money."

If you think about it:
* Gambling is a time-wasting activity; and
* To stop gambling, keep yourself occupied with something.

What do you think about the above findings?
Pages:
Jump to: