Pages:
Author

Topic: Received new Desktop in a week with GTX 1070. Worth it to mine? - page 2. (Read 889 times)

legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
yes, power supply is important, but since its only 1 1070, using on average 160wMAX, you have LOTS of headroom.  most cpu are <150w.

You should be fine to add a second 1070 as long as your 12V rail can support it, and you have proper case ventilation.
Activity: 378
Merit: 135
600 watts is fine for 2 1070s as long as you power them down a little using afterburner. If you want to add 3 or more cards I would recommend upgrading the PSU especially if the one you have is bronze rated. For comparison I am running 4 1070s and an i5 processor. Without any tweaking I was pulled 1058 watts from the wall. With afterburner powering them down to 65% I am pulling 668 from the wall and haven’t lost any hashrate using equihash in EWBF. Plenty of settings for overclocking your cards on the forum. Find one that matches your brand and go from there.

Your CPU could also probably make you some extra mining monero
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1827
it isn't decent, no SSD?

I thought the Optane memory drive will help with the speed of reading and writing to the hard disk. I want the capacity of a HDD to store my large music library.

who cares about any other hardware past the 1070 for mining..

If it has it, use it.

My single 1070 in my gaming PC mines the rest of the time its not actively being used.   That card has already paid for itself and then some.  I was lucky and bought during the last hot streak and ROI'd pretty damned fast.

My old 980 Earned ~3x what I bought it for... before I replaced it with a 1070 and put it in one of my miner chassis..... and today, is still on 24/7.

Isn't the power supply also important? Is 600W good enough if I want to upgrade the card in the future?
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
who cares about any other hardware past the 1070 for mining..

If it has it, use it.

My single 1070 in my gaming PC mines the rest of the time its not actively being used.   That card has already paid for itself and then some.  I was lucky and bought during the last hot streak and ROI'd pretty damned fast.

My old 980 Earned ~3x what I bought it for... before I replaced it with a 1070 and put it in one of my miner chassis..... and today, is still on 24/7.
Activity: 350
Merit: 100
it isn't decent, no SSD?
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1827
I just bought a brand new computer that I am expecting sometime next week. It has a GTX 1070 and a 600 W power supply. Does anyone recommend that I try to mine with the new desktop? I'm just paranoid that mining will make my computer have a short life. The computer is liquid cooled for the CPU, but I am not sure about the GPU. Probably the GPU has to rely on air cooling.(I must admit, when I bought it last night, I did pick a GTX 1070 because I was hoping to mine with it, since I am not a gamer. I read an article that makes it appear that although the GTX 1070 get less hashrate than a GTX 1080, the GTX 1070 is more power efficient.)
Here is the link to what I bought. Hope that I picked something decent. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230240
Pages:
Jump to: