Pages:
Author

Topic: Replace 'TH/s' with a name? or simpler term? - page 2. (Read 2896 times)

Activity: 630
Merit: 500
The base unit is hash/second

We don't use a special name for Kilowatts or Megawatts, it is just a prefix (i.e. Kilowatt = 1000 watts) and the base units watts.

I think OP is more specifically referring to the "per second' part.

A better example would be Hertz which means 'cycles per second'.

When we talk about CPU's we don't go around saying "3 Gigacycles per second" we say 3 gigahertz.

OP has asked a legitimate question, in my opinion.

Actually come to think of it, simply using Hz is appropriate here. "My cards are hashing at 20 gigahertz" makes sense.
Activity: 630
Merit: 250
Derps per lunar cycle.
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054
Terahash, not terrahash. Terra = earth, Tera = SI prefix based on teras = monster.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null
Often in science units are replaced with a name. Think Kelvin, Celcius, Watt, Ampere, Pascal, Coulomb, Volt, etc.... Similarly, that has also happened with the 'satoshi'  replacing the smallest current denomination of bitcoins.

As the term 'Terrahash per second' is a mouthful, what do people think about replacing that with a name or a simpler term?

If you were going to rename it, what would you call it? Would you use a person's name? Whose name would you use?
retarded-ideas-per-second?
Activity: 187
Merit: 100
TH/s is simple enough.
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
When I read "TH/s" or "GH/s", I pronounce them in my head as "terrahash" or "gigahash", but I don't think we need to actually call them that. D&T is right: we don't need to adjust anything.
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
Vertrau in Gott
What about terrahash? That might  be a good name for thash. Aint it?
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
The base unit is hash/second

We don't use a special name for Kilowatts or Megawatts, it is just a prefix (i.e. Kilowatt = 1000 watts) and the base units watts.
Activity: 375
Merit: 250
Often in science units are replaced with a name. Think Kelvin, Celcius, Watt, Ampere, Pascal, Coulomb, Volt, etc.... Similarly, that has also happened with the 'satoshi'  replacing the smallest current denomination of bitcoins.

As the term 'Terrahash per second' is a mouthful, what do people think about replacing that with a name or a simpler term?

If you were going to rename it, what would you call it? Would you use a person's name? Whose name would you use?
Pages:
Jump to: