Pages:
Author

Topic: repost for advice (non tech user)solved by psy-"hero" - page 2. (Read 2273 times)

reg
Activity: 463
Merit: 250
I don't think I am using a graphic environment. I opened the shell and put in what you said but it inserted not a directory?. I can't change systems now we (my) son asked for advice and was told linuxos. I still need to  create a file when I right click on .vnc there is no   create file option.

I need to go out soon I will see what I can do tommorow thanks for your patience. reg       
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
Are you using a graphic environment? If so you don't need any command to create a file. Just right click, choose "Create file" and give it the name xstartup.

Being someone who isn't a technical user have you thought about using a OS that is more user friendly than what you're using, for example Ubuntu, where you can solve almost any problem you find with a simple google search?
reg
when I open the directory the code line $ mkdir .vnc is there? how exactly do I open the shell?
reg
ok I dragen into the home directory
legendary
open the shell and type
Code:
cd .vnc
touch xstartup

Then open the file, insert the content and save.
reg
whats the command for create a file? do i then open the file and copy and paste the code you sent?
legendary
The .vnc folder should not be in documents. It should be in your user home dir.
reg
first the good news- I checked again and now I see the file plus another called directory! whats next while I have it?
reg
I created it in home /documents and thats where I looked? I also recreated it and it said file exists overwrite so I do not know why I cant see it/
legendary
psy
No, I mean INSIDE your home dir
I did try that. under view I found "find hidden files alt+" so I tried that in home and documents it does not show the directory?

Well, may I ask in which folder you created the .vnc folder?
It should be in /home/YOUR_USERNAME/ If you created it there it should be there when you unhide files and folders.
reg
psy
No, I mean INSIDE your home dir
I did try that. under view I found "find hidden files alt+" so I tried that in home and documents it does not show the directory?
legendary
No, I mean INSIDE your home dir.
In case CTRL+H doesn't unhide the folders you need to look in your file manager menus for an option to "Show hidden files and folders" or something along those lines.
reg
psy
You need to press CTRL+H on your home dir
I cant seem to get that to show anything? do you mean with the cursor highlighting the home directory? because I tried that and pressed ctrl and h together=nothing? reg (I am too overwhelmed to learn how to get a chat prog running just now)
legendary
You need to press CTRL+H on your home dir, then you'll see all hidden folders, including the .vnc one you created.
reg
ive changed the directory but now of course its hidden so how do I create a file in that directory and list what you sent? no I haven't done anything else yet? reg
legendary
Yes, you should put the dot. The directory should be named .vnc
You'll need to unhide it after, tho.
And yes, create the xstartup file with this in it
Code:
# Execute common xstartup file
[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup

# Load .Xresources file
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources

# Run the vncconfig helper to enable clipboard transfers and control of the desktop
vncconfig -iconic &

# Launch a GNOME desktop
exec gnome-session &

Have you already installed the vncserver package for your distro?
reg
directories with a dot at the begining are hidden, so they must be unhidden.

ok found out how to create a directory but did not put a dot there. Should/could I put one or can we go to the next step? which is create a file xstartup in the directory. The directory exists in home, documents. reg
legendary
The dir should have a dot at the beggining: .vnc
If you don't see it, open your file manager, go to your user home dir and press CTRL+H and see if it shows up. files or directories with a dot at the begining are hidden, so they must be unhidden.
reg
psy

further to my pm I have gone as far as I can with vnc! I typed in:
$ mkdir vnc
and -nothing? the command disappeared and I can't see any evidence it created the directory? so I can't create an initialization file etc etc. reg
reg
psy Send me a PM if you need help.

hi I have pm'd you. thanks for your offer of help. I gratefully accept and hope you are patient with me. I need to know your time zone for your convienience of slotting me in a time to suit you. Like in the film "a beautifull mind" he said "I can solve this" reg.
Pages:
Jump to: