Pages:
Author

Topic: Representative Mark Warden Utilizing Bitcoin for Campaign Donations - page 3. (Read 11899 times)

donator
Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
He could set up a 'generate me a new donation address' button thing if he wanted to be a little safer. I'm interested to see what if anything anyone does anyway though. What are his opponents like?

+1 that is wise. And ask his donators to not reuse the same donation addresses.

Some of the sites accepting Bitcoin donations on the thread below have utilized the single address for all donations approach...I looked at the block chain for a few of them...no one has gotten much by way of Bitcoin donations...the biggest I saw was 700 or so.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014
Strength in numbers
He could set up a 'generate me a new donation address' button thing if he wanted to be a little safer. I'm interested to see what if anything anyone does anyway though. What are his opponents like?
donator
Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
Bitcoin is too much of a pain for him to use, I fear. I think he will realize soon that anyone can vet his donations and demand an account of all those who donated more than the set limit. He may not even realize if someone (possibly an adversary) sends in too much...and if he doesn't notice, any Joe Schmoe can prove he violated campaign funding laws.
Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
A small step for a poltician, a huge leap for the mankind. I wonder about the legal implications. How are donations usually collected in the US at the state level? Can I just drop some cash in a box, or is there always some paperwork involved?
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo

This is great ... and not the least because it has potential for serious lulz written all over it.

What happens if he gets some of Bitcoinica's stolen loot or god forbid an anon. donation from a Silk Road dealer, Pirate Bay, or etc?

Cheesy
Activity: 382
Merit: 253
It almost certainly isn't legal for him to accept donations from foreigners, but how is anyone going to know?

If you do donate more than $100 worth, you should include your name, employer, and city/town as directed. Of course that can't readily be enforced, but since his donation address is public his opponents could check it for large donations that don't get disclosed. (In other words, if you are going to donate a lot or are foreign, donate it in small chunks from varying addresses.)

Knowing Mark (a really good guy), any donations he cannot legally use and can't figure out how to return would get donated to worthy causes.
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com
State law requires us to request the following information from people who donate $100 or more (cumulatively) to the campaign: Name, employer, city/town where employed.

So what happens if someone donates more than 10 bitcoins?

I just wanted to ask the same question. Will he return it to sender? What if I send 5 now and 5 later? Aka what if the total BTC donated exceeds 10BTC?
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
I also wonder about the legal implications of this. Like, is it legal for him to accept foreign donations?
Activity: 193
Merit: 100
State law requires us to request the following information from people who donate $100 or more (cumulatively) to the campaign: Name, employer, city/town where employed.

So what happens if someone donates more than 10 bitcoins?
Activity: 602
Merit: 508
Firstbits: 1waspoza
I live in EU and i hate politicians, but i will send the guy some coins. Looks like hes smart (cuz he clearly understands bitcoin) and have balls. Smiley
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
Activity: 323
Merit: 250
This is awesome! I've heard of one or two candidates trying this before, but Mark is a current State Rep and will probably get re-elected. This is a really exciting development.

http://www.markwarden.com/page/contribute-campaign
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack
Mark Warden is releasing this press release in New Hampshire...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Representative Mark Warden Utilizing Bitcoin for Campaign Donations

Goffstown, New Hampshire - August 11, 2012 - State Representative Mark Warden recently added a Bitcoin donation system to his campaign website (www.markwarden.com), the first state representative in New Hampshire to utilize this emerging technology. According to Warden, Bitcoin will allow online transactions without the need for any third-party approval.

“This is a cutting-edge technology that is market based, voluntary, and extremely innovative. I have constituents and vendors who prefer this medium of exchange, so it’s natural to want to respond to the marketplace,” said Warden.

Bitcoin allows users to make transactions with an alternative, decentralized form of currency that is not subject to the inflationary whims of the Federal Reserve or other central banks. Mark Warden is a Republican State Representative running for re-election in Hillsborough County’s District 39, encompassing the towns of Goffstown, Weare, and Deering.

[note: you can donate to him at this address: 1B39L3wqnbVpRa9oHMWY2F6FsZJJAgJQX6  ]
Pages:
Jump to: