Pages:
Author

Topic: Restoring from an Electrum-v1 passphrase - page 2. (Read 573 times)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0
November 26, 2020, 02:18:23 AM
Thanks for the help offered.

I meant "seed phrase", the word mnemonic used to recover a wallet. It is a Brainwallet using a set of words that are in the 2048-word list --> https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/blob/1.9.8/lib/mnemonic.py.
It's not a pure Brainwallet of self-selected, non-list verified words.

I'm able to import a seed mnemonic from a wallet created with a random set of words derived from the old format, like "black brown red green black brown red green black brown red green".

Perhaps my final word does not compute a proper checksum. (?)
Also, I read in the forum that the required number of words wasn't always a standard 12-word set. This was implemented in 2015. Are these extra words currently inserted at the extended words menu, or were they part of the seed phrase entered to generate the wallet?

Aside from https://github.com/3rdIteration/btcrecover/, are the other reliable Electrum seed phrase recovery tools available?
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481
November 25, 2020, 06:45:54 AM
I used an Electrum-v1 based passphrase to create a wallet many years ago. I've been working with 3rdIteration/btcrecover to parse through the scrambled word-set I used to create the passphrase. Are there any other methods available for recovering a wallet from an Electrum-v1 wordlist? The words I used do not work in the current version of Electrum.

Your post is lacking crucial information.
No one will be able to help you without you providing proper information, such as:

• What exactly do you mean with "Electrum-v1 based passphrase"
  • What do you mean with "scrambled word-set". Are you talking about your mnemonic code? Don't you remember the order?
  • What do you mean with "Electrum-v1 wordlist". The 2048 words wordlist? Or your mnemonic?

Please answer these questions and be as precise as possible.
HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4314
November 25, 2020, 02:01:18 AM
Can you please just clarify a couple of things... as I'm unsure exactly how you generated the seed mnemonic you're attempting to recover using btcrecover...

... the scrambled word-set I used to create the passphrase.
So, you used a custom wordlist to generate the passphrase? Or did you take the 12 word seed mnemonic generated by Electrum v1.x and then scrambled the order? Huh

Are there any other methods available for recovering a wallet from an Electrum-v1 wordlist? The words I used do not work in the current version of Electrum.
The old words will be detected as a "Old" seed by Electrum... I just created a 12 word seed mnemonic in an old version of Electrum (1.8.1 portable)... When I attempt to import that seed mnemonic into Electrum 4.0.5 it is still accepted:

legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
November 25, 2020, 01:55:10 AM
Passphrase?
Do you mean "seed phrase"? Which is the 12-words used to recover the wallet since you've mentioned "wordlist".
AFAIK, it should work in the new version and it will be recognized as "old" when you try to restore it.
Speaking of wordlist, here's the old wordlist (before v2): https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/blob/1.9.8/lib/mnemonic.py
Check if your passphrase's words are in it.

You might be using a "Brainwallet" instead of Electrum seed phrase because of the term "passphrase" for seed phrase.
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
November 25, 2020, 01:18:43 AM
I used an Electrum-v1 based passphrase to create a wallet many years ago. I've been working with 3rdIteration/btcrecover to parse through the scrambled word-set I used to create the passphrase. Are there any other methods available for recovering a wallet from an Electrum-v1 wordlist? The words I used do not work in the current version of Electrum.
Pages:
Jump to: