Pages:
Author

Topic: Return to the Testnet? - page 2. (Read 1771 times)

Activity: 675
Merit: 507
Freedom to choose
November 06, 2013, 08:39:14 AM
I do not understand, why would you suggest us mining the BTC Testnet?
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
November 06, 2013, 08:03:49 AM
i'm only joining this if i get reasonable piece of the pie, getting them to an exchange is easy, the question is, just how many are out there?

well, it's not like testnet is totally destitute. quite a few people are on it, and have been for awhile. I've haven't been active since I kinda of stopped talking about it. I had a p2pool, and tried to go back to it, but it wasn't working and I dropped it. If you have spare hashpower, you could mine on testnet, or any other alt-coin. It's your pick really. But what is reasonable to you? I assume you are in bitcoin, yet suppose you have only a mere fraction of the coins that are out there. It's not like it's going to hurt you.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000
November 06, 2013, 07:46:20 AM
i'm only joining this if i get reasonable piece of the pie, getting them to an exchange is easy, the question is, just how many are out there?

lol like a current exchange would last 10 minutes after listing  Wink
legendary
Activity: 882
Merit: 1000
November 06, 2013, 05:39:25 AM
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
November 06, 2013, 05:10:50 AM
So those of you who have been around for a long time know that I was promoting for awhile the idea of trying to both monetize the Bitcoin Testnet (Lots of people disagreed with me, thats fine) and to use it as a learning tool to experiment with Bitcoin exploits, with a greater range of OP codes, etc...

At the time, SHA-256 alt-coins were kind of tricky as ASICS were just starting and any GPU mined chain pretty quickly got blasted out of the water. These days however ASIC being old news and lots of people having unproductive ASICS, perhaps now is a better time to reinvestigate the idea of the Bitcoin Testnet.

It's built into your Bitcoin client, People are actively mining on it (not me for many months now save a few spotty attempts) and a number of very cool interesting projects are running on it.

Of course there are a gazillion Alt-coins out there now, why not return to the first, true alt-coin? The testnet inside bitcoin with exotic transaction types and no-security worries. (IE: no downloading someone elses crazy alt-coin binary)“ and full security/code support by the Bitcoin dev team? 
Pages:
Jump to: