Pages:
Author

Topic: [RFC] æthereum: a turing-complete coin distributed as per bitcoin's blockchain - page 5. (Read 48633 times)

legendary
Activity: 888
Merit: 1000
Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.
Vitalik should close the code for 2 years so you parasites don't get it.
legendary
Activity: 888
Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.
2.  This sounds like Ethereum.  Is it the same thing?
No, æthereum is unique.  
3.  In what ways is æthereum the same as Ethereum?
æthereum is functionally equivalent to Ethereum.  They are both based on the same source code.  

This is fuckin' shameless bullshit, come on do you own a piece of moral in your head?
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007
Will you scan the bitcoin blockchain before you get the ethereum source code?

The UTXO at block height 305,303 has already been scanned:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7665328

The next step is to modify this UTXO parser to prepare the snapshot files in the proposed file format for an arbitrary block height:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8010420
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8040377

I hope that some developer takes the initiative and launches a clone of an interesting alt-coin using the spin-off method once these tools are complete.  
Activity: 57
Merit: 0
Will you scan the bitcoin blockchain before you get the ethereum source code?
Activity: 66
Merit: 10
I'm curious why you would choose to airdrop only to BTC rather than to a more interesting basket of currencies with a more interesting user base. For example, you'll attract a very intelligent, long-term-thinking community by airdropping to PTS holders.
legendary
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Why Would you use this name tho?
Activity: 333
Merit: 250
Commander of the Hodl Legions
Note also that Stellar is awarding 19% of their pre-mine according to the spin-off principle, so the idea seems to be catching on.  

You said it: 19%... that's just a marketing stunt, because well, bitcoin distribution is basically the worst distribution ever. Some people in this community is starting to act and think like dictators.
legendary
Activity: 1050
The true challenger to Ethereum is a spin off fork that simply replicates the entire Ethereum project line for line. If someone is willing to create a fork of all Ethereum code without feeling the need to change anything, then that spin off will pose a serious threat to Ethereum.

It still would need to do something to beat Ethereum, and actively maintain it. Pre-building a community before hand will help.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
i think need online wallet . i never download anything but i really interested to mine this .
legendary
time to make a website maybe? hype it up or it will fail.

It's interesting to consider how a spin-off could fail.  It could be relaunched over and over because it's an idea rather than an implementation.  But the threat that a particular realization of the spin-off is taken seriously is probably proportional to the success of the altcoin that the spin-off clones.  So the cloning threat is always present.  When this is considered self-evident, then spin-offs will have already succeeded.   
legendary

Doesn't look like they were serious enough.

Once Ethereum does get released there might be serious teams then who are willing to fork it.

Although the best team will be the one with the smallest ego.

If a worshipped super developer team fork the Ethereum project using the spin off protocol it'll likely fail because the fork will end up differing from the true Ethereum too much due to feature bloat and ego.

The true challenger to Ethereum is a spin off fork that simply replicates the entire Ethereum project line for line. If someone is willing to create a fork of all Ethereum code without feeling the need to change anything, then that spin off will pose a serious threat to Ethereum.

Exactly.  

And I think if spin-offs are to be successful, they need to be easy to implement.  If they require a dev team to do a bunch of development, then that sort of misses the point.  The idea is that a coin is simply cloned, and relaunched with a distribution of wealth proportional to the unspent outputs in the Blockchain in a way that users can claim their coins using the private keys that they already have.  

My interest is in the general framework for creating spin-offs (and the game theory behind them).  We've been making progress towards this goal in this thread here.  It's my belief that once the first spin-offs are launched, that it will change the way we look at alt-coins, and especially the concept of IPOing freely-created tokens from an open-source platform.

Note also that Stellar is awarding 19% of their pre-mine according to the spin-off principle, so the idea seems to be catching on.  

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

Once Ethereum does get released there might be serious teams then who are willing to fork it.

Although the best team will be the one with the smallest ego.

If a worshipped super developer team fork the Ethereum project using the spin off protocol it'll likely fail because the fork will end up differing from the true Ethereum too much due to feature bloat and ego.

legendary

Activity: 323
legendary
The Aethereum project is an application of the spin-off concept.  Once the spin-off technique has matured and tools are available to assist developers with this process, then it should be fairly simple to modify an alt-coin and relaunch as a spin-off.  I expect we should have the UTXO snapshot tool ready in September.  (Of course Aethereum cannot launch until the finalized source code for Ethereum is published).

In the simplest scenario, a spin-off developer would launch a clone with only two simple modifications:

- the root hash of the snapshot file would be embedded in the genesis block of the clone.

- the clone would add support for "claim transactions" that check the signature of the claim against the claim itself (using FCV or SCV), and then follow the claim's Merkle branch claim proof to its root hash.  If this root hash matches what is included in the clone's genesis block, then the claim is valid and the claim TX gets mined into the blockchain.  

We've made good progress on the snapshot technique, and you can follow our progress here.  

We've recently started raising funds for a small bounty currently valued at 4.35 BTC for the first developer that creates a spin-off (such as Aethereum) that trades on a recognized exchanges and has > 1% of claims claimed.  
legendary
Who are the people developing/maintaining this?  Surely that should be included in the FAQ in OP

Would like to see if there is a team in place.

If you have devs and need some support you might honour AGS/PTS and approach Bitshares for funding.
Activity: 243
How about this project? Is it dead?
Activity: 157
Merit: 100
Who are the people developing/maintaining this?  Surely that should be included in the FAQ in OP
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011
Franko is Freedom
Please look into a different name. You must be aware the naming is confusing and will cause future complications. Save yourself the trouble.

maybe that is the joke

I'm sure it is, but if this is to be viable currency it will need a viable name.

The idea behind æthereum is that it is identical in function to ethereum except for the initial distribution of credits.  You have to purchase ether whereas all bitcoin holders can claim æther for free using the spin-off method. 

I think the current name (æthereum) does a good job of communicating the fact that it's a clone. 

It does indeed.
Pages:
Jump to: