Pages:
Author

Topic: RFC: Is there anything like a good government intervention? - page 3. (Read 4999 times)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what a positive economic intervention might be?

Provide legal and monetary incentives to form cooperatives and associations instead of corporations. Then, when people are used to being active parts in such cooperatives and associations, progressively allow associations to replace some of the State's functions.

If you just make the State disappear today, you will not get anarchy, you will get chaos. Self organization doesn't magically appear as the state disappears, it is built over time. And there can be many different outcomes, including a lot of bad ones. The State should gently steer people towards a fair organization by ensuring that such organization is already there before it relinquishes control. Of course, this is the dream of Communism, and we now that the State rarely does that even when it promises to, but still, I believe it would be a good intervention.

I agree that we cant kill the whole beast in on shot. However, this might happen due to natural consequences when it collapses in on itself. A gradual closing down is much preferred.

As you and I both know governments generally don't shrink unless forced to. So expecting them to gradually scale down probably wont happen. I suggest starting with the war machine and working your way towards welfare programs and then the taxation system. Closing down everything except the police over a 10 year period.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what a positive economic intervention might be?

Provide legal and monetary incentives to form cooperatives and associations instead of corporations. Then, when people are used to being active parts in such cooperatives and associations, progressively allow associations to replace some of the State's functions.

If you just make the State disappear today, you will not get anarchy, you will get chaos. Self organization doesn't magically appear as the state disappears, it is built over time. And there can be many different outcomes, including a lot of bad ones. The State should gently steer people towards a fair organization by ensuring that such organization is already there before it relinquishes control. Of course, this is the dream of Communism, and we now that the State rarely does that even when it promises to, but still, I believe it would be a good intervention.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Hi guys,

Read a somewhat disappointing Richard Duncan article this morning in which he rightly criticizes the government propping up zombie industries but then goes on to suggest that the money could be better spent in other industries that encourage growth. I see this as a classic case of how most people view politics and economics "I think the government should ". They want to use the government's ability to coerce and the wealth it gains through taxation, to build their vision of the world regardless of whether that world is what people want or whether it is practical in any real way.

This is also what makes the libertarian view so hard to sell, how do you pitch a plan based on doing nothing? Of course the suggestion is not that nothing happens but rather that the world can self organize far more efficiently than a politician could ever plan. This in my view is what makes a politician, someone who forgets their just a human being, without perfect knowledge, and begins to imagine they can effectively manage the lives of other from a distance.

So maybe there is an economic intervention other that close all state departments except the police, drop all regulations and stop taxing that can help the economy. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what a positive economic intervention might be?
Pages:
Jump to: