Pages:
Author

Topic: RFC: new forum software specifications - page 2. (Read 16869 times)

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127
October 20, 2011, 09:59:05 AM
1) Something similar to Facebook's Like / Google+ +1 / Reddit's Upvote / etc...

Not necessary.

Slashdot-like meta-moderation system is waaaaaaay better.
It allows users gaining reputation, stops 99+% of spam, hides 95% of useless posts and can work similarly to FB/Google's +1.

No.  I've seen how people react around here to anything that could be construed as even slightly negative about bitcoin.  I'd like to see a forum that encourages discussion and alternate ideas, not a circle jerk of nerds all congratulating themselves on being awesome.  

1. You don't even know how the system works, and yet you speak.
2. Also, moderation depends on what majority thinks, and on this forum majority is noobs. So there won't be any kind of "circle" of self-adoration.
3. Normal mods would still have greater power than rest of the people
4. To some degree, sooner or later every forum becomes a circle of people-with-similiar-mindsets who adore themselves and reject incompatibile mindsets, so your point is invalid.

So you think being able to downvote and hide posts is a good idea?
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005
Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952
October 20, 2011, 09:04:07 AM

Not necessary.

It allows users gaining reputation, stops 99+% of spam, hides 95% of useless posts and can work similarly to FB/Google's +1.

No.  I've seen how people react around here to anything that could be construed as even slightly negative about bitcoin.  I'd like to see a forum that encourages discussion and alternate ideas, not a circle jerk of nerds all congratulating themselves on being awesome.  

1. You don't even know how the system works, and yet you speak.
2. Also, moderation depends on what majority thinks, and on this forum majority is noobs. So there won't be any kind of "circle" of self-adoration.
3. Normal mods would still have greater power than rest of the people
4. To some degree, sooner or later every forum becomes a circle of people-with-similiar-mindsets who adore themselves and reject incompatibile mindsets, so your point is invalid.
legendary
October 20, 2011, 07:57:03 AM

Not necessary.

No.  I've seen how people react around here to anything that could be construed as even slightly negative about bitcoin.  I'd like to see a forum that encourages discussion and alternate ideas, not a circle jerk of nerds all congratulating themselves on being awesome. 
legendary
October 20, 2011, 03:48:45 AM

Not necessary.

administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
October 20, 2011, 02:17:38 AM
I updated the OP, incorporating some of the suggestions and adding some more things I thought of.

Probably I'll start accepting bids in about a week.
donator
Activity: 83
Merit: 10
October 19, 2011, 07:52:19 PM

2) Comments on comments (basically like Reddit),.

People are doing +1ing stuff all the time anyway, I think it would be great to be able to sort comments on a thread by date or rating...
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
October 18, 2011, 09:52:52 PM
NNTP support is definitely an idea I like, but I don't think it's important enough of a feature to require in the first version.

Well, keep it in mind.

There are probably only dozens of people who would use it.

I think you might be underestimating the number of people driven away by the web-only UI.  Or the number of users you would gain if following the site were as simple as adding it to the aggregator they already check every day/few hours.

Speaking of aggregators, I would like to say that the SMF support for RSS totally sucks.  Not only do you have to hand-craft URLs (the UI does not mention it ANYWHERE), but it is flaky as heck and seems to merge various sub-boards into a single feed in randomly-chosen ways.  Bleh.
administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
October 18, 2011, 09:27:05 PM
NNTP support is definitely an idea I like, but I don't think it's important enough of a feature to require in the first version. There are probably only dozens of people who would use it.
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
October 18, 2011, 08:56:00 PM
NNTP Support.

NNTP Support.

NNTP Support.

PLEASE.  I read about five or six sites using forum software like this and it is a huge headache for me to have to keep switching UIs.  PLEASE give your users the option of "bring your own" UI.  This is exactly what the NNTP protocol does.

I hear there is a third-party NNTP plugin for SMF, but I'm not sure how good/maintained/reliable it is.  Hopefully you find some software that has NNTP "out of the box".

RSS/ATOM are nice, but they're only "one-way" (you can use them to read, but not to post) whereas NNTP is two-way.
legendary
October 16, 2011, 06:08:52 PM
Just the other day i received like more than 10 security updates on my WinXP install...

But you forgot that you had to wait few weeks or months for each of them (including 0-days).
Your point being...?

That Microsoft != Security.
Using "Microsoft" or "Windows" with "Security" in one sentence is generally not a good idea, unless it describes a failure.

BTW, you seem to be a scammer.
Zero-days get patched on Linux on day -1?

Zero-days usually get patched on Linux within 24-48 hours, with unofficial patches avaiable within few hours (if we are talking Linux kernel). On Microsoft Windows, it may take weeks, months, or not get patched at all (i think there maybe currently at least one critical thing that has been unpatched for years, but i'm not 100% on that).

Whether all the sysadmins in the world really follow & install the latest patches is another story.

BTW, thank you for your excellent observation. I am very well aware of that.

And that doesn't seem to stop your posting on the forum ? I am amazed.
Activity: 560
Merit: 501
October 15, 2011, 10:49:23 PM
Just the other day i received like more than 10 security updates on my WinXP install...

But you forgot that you had to wait few weeks or months for each of them (including 0-days).
Your point being...?

Using "Microsoft" or "Windows" with "Security" in one sentence is generally not a good idea, unless it describes a failure.

Zero-days get patched on Linux on day -1?

BTW, thank you for your excellent observation. I am very well aware of that.
legendary
October 15, 2011, 09:59:04 PM

Your point being...?

Activity: 560
Merit: 501
October 15, 2011, 08:32:10 PM

Your point being...?
legendary
October 15, 2011, 08:30:46 PM

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
October 14, 2011, 10:45:31 PM
On the other hand, if what you want is end up with something like http://bitcoinweekly.com/ ok, code it from scratch...
What's wrong with bitcoinweekly.com?  Not enough bells and whistles for you?  The only difference between that site and one you'd think was fabulously web-2.0 is a bit of CSS.

No, I was talking in the sense of re-inventing the wheel... And don't say it's only CSS that's missing. For someone who tries to be a weekly "magazine" of some sort I'm sure that there are a lot of features missing in the backend and frontend.
Activity: 228
Merit: 100
October 14, 2011, 06:58:22 PM
Why do people around here want to reinvent the wheel is something i always wondered.

Activity: 110
Merit: 10
October 14, 2011, 04:34:01 PM
On the other hand, if what you want is end up with something like http://bitcoinweekly.com/ ok, code it from scratch...
What's wrong with bitcoinweekly.com?  Not enough bells and whistles for you?  The only difference between that site and one you'd think was fabulously web-2.0 is a bit of CSS.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
October 14, 2011, 03:37:41 PM
This thread is pure lulz... 500BTC/$2000(at current prices) to develop a full fledged forum software...

yeah, right...  Roll Eyes

Or you get someone to do it and it will be utter crap.

Why do people around here want to reinvent the wheel is something i always wondered.

legendary
October 14, 2011, 03:22:52 PM

How many times did you have to restart?   Cheesy
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)
October 14, 2011, 03:19:46 PM
Pages:
Jump to: