Pages:
Author

Topic: RIP - One of the first Bitcoin code reviewers dies - page 2. (Read 312 times)

legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
Kaminski was a great developer and freedom fighter, some people even suggested that he could be one of the candidates for Satoshi Nakamoto, but he was also suffering from diabetes and there was some controversies about his death but apparently diabetic ketoacidosis was cause of his death.
I tried to find if he was using some Bitcointalk accounts however I couldn't find anything about that, but I did find his blog website and posts from 2016 claiming that Craig Wright is NOT Satoshi.

1. Yes, this is a scam.  Not maybe.  Not possibly.
2. Wright is pretending he has Satoshi’s signature on Sartre’s writing.  That would mean he has the private key, and is likely to be Satoshi.  What he actually has is Satoshi’s signature on parts of the public Blockchain, which of course means he doesn’t need the private key and he doesn’t  need to be Satoshi.  He just needs to make you think Satoshi signed something else besides the Blockchain — like Sartre.  He doesn’t publish Sartre.  He publishes 14% of one document.  He then shows you a hash that’s supposed to summarize the entire document.  This is a lie.  It’s a hash extracted from the Blockchain itself.  Ryan Castellucci (my engineer at White Ops and master of Bitcoin Fu) put an extractor here.  Of course the Blockchain is totally public and of course has signatures from Satoshi, so Wright being able to lift a signature from here isn’t surprising at all.
3. He probably would have gotten away with it if the signature itself wasn’t googlable by Redditors.
4. I think Gavin et al are victims of another scam, and Wright’s done classic misdirection by generating different scams for different audiences.
https://dankaminsky.com/2016/05/02/validating-satoshi-or-not/

It’s not actually surprising that somebody would claim to be the creator of Bitcoin.  Whoever “Satoshi Nakamoto” is, is worth several hundred million dollars.  What is surprising is that credible people were backing Craig Wright’s increasingly bizarre claims.
https://dankaminsky.com/2016/05/03/the-cryptographically-provable-con-man/

Rest in Peace Kaminski...
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1256
Sad to hear that.

Reading more about his attempts to hack Bitcoin its really encouraging to hear
that he couldnt and his thoughts on its code.

https://www.businessinsider.com/dan-kaminsky-highlights-flaws-bitcoin-2013-4?r=US&IR=T

Dan Kaminsky , DanKaminsky.com Apr 12, 2013, 3:45 PM

Two years ago, I tried to hack BitCoin.

I failed.

as an engineer and as a hacker (and I promise you, these are two very different things), BitCoin surprised me.

BitCoin is a rejection of the regulation of monetary flows.

if it was truly threatened, the cost to add more nodes — people participating in the Bitcoin experiment — is much lower than the cost to prevent the addition of new nodes.

Activity: 564
Merit: 100
Renowned American cybersecurity researcher Dan Kaminski has passed away at the age of 42. This was reported by white hacker and DEF CON conference organizer Mark Rogers. In 2011, Kaminski, already widely known for discovering a critical vulnerability in the DNS protocol, decided to hack Bitcoin.

Quote from: Mark Rogers
I don't think we can hide it now. We lost Dan Kaminski yesterday. One of the brightest lights in information security and probably the kindest soul I've ever known. The vacuum it leaves behind is impossible to measure. Please keep the speculation to yourself and treat his family and friends with respect

The expert developed nine approaches to attacks against the cryptocurrency protocol, but none of them worked.

Quote from: Kaminski
The formatting of the code was just insane. Only the most paranoid and painstaking programmer on the planet could avoid mistakes. I've never seen anything like it. He is a world class programmer with deep knowledge of C ++. He understands economics, cryptography and peer-to-peer networks. Either it's a whole team or this guy is a genius.

A source forklog
We would like to conduct condolences to the family of famous network security researchers Dan Kaminski. We lose a most reliable, good and reliable network representative in Bitcoin safety protection. Dan Kaminski is known among computer security experts with DNS cache poisoning research. Who can tell me why he dies?
Activity: 191
Merit: 55
Renowned American cybersecurity researcher Dan Kaminski has passed away at the age of 42. This was reported by white hacker and DEF CON conference organizer Mark Rogers. In 2011, Kaminski, already widely known for discovering a critical vulnerability in the DNS protocol, decided to hack Bitcoin.

Quote from: Mark Rogers
I don't think we can hide it now. We lost Dan Kaminski yesterday. One of the brightest lights in information security and probably the kindest soul I've ever known. The vacuum it leaves behind is impossible to measure. Please keep the speculation to yourself and treat his family and friends with respect

The expert developed nine approaches to attacks against the cryptocurrency protocol, but none of them worked.

Quote from: Kaminski
The formatting of the code was just insane. Only the most paranoid and painstaking programmer on the planet could avoid mistakes. I've never seen anything like it. He is a world class programmer with deep knowledge of C ++. He understands economics, cryptography and peer-to-peer networks. Either it's a whole team or this guy is a genius.

A source forklog
Pages:
Jump to: