Pages:
Author

Topic: Ripple as a service (not coin) - page 2. (Read 1741 times)

vip
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043
👻
August 04, 2013, 10:56:08 PM
XRP is to prevent spam.  It's value is irrelevant.  I would say its actually better if the value is low because its cheaper to start accounts but even that doesn't matter because XRP account requirements can be adjusted via consensus.  You've been told all this before and I'm actually surprised your arguments are so incoherent and so devoid of any truth or logic.  Come on.  After all the BTC you spent paying people to slander Ripple and running your anti-Ripple ads, this is really the best you've got?  I've seen better talking points from noobs.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

You don't even understand ripple and you're arguing for it?
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
August 04, 2013, 10:55:26 PM
the price of XRP is irrelevant to the usefulness or success of the Ripple network

If the market cap of XRP is $1, what does that tell you? It tells you that Ripple has failed. So the price of XRP is relevant with the "usefulness or success of the Ripple network.

You should also be aware that all OpenCoin did was add the XRP scamcoin, they didn't invent the ripple payment system, in fact they failed at trying to implement it in a "simplified" model, and they fail at their business model.

In fact they stole the name OpenCoin from another group.

Now, Ripple very well could fail, just as Bitcoin could fail but it won't be due to the value of XRP.

Yes it will. XRP becoming worthless will cause Ripple to fail, because XRP is the limiting factor in sending transactions, and when that limiting factor becomes useless servers go down.

I don't even know why I'm arguing with a ripple shill.

XRP is to prevent spam.  It's value is irrelevant.  I would say its actually better if the value is low because its cheaper to start accounts but even that doesn't matter because XRP account requirements can be adjusted via consensus.  You've been told all this before and I'm actually surprised your arguments are so incoherent and so devoid of any truth or logic.  Come on.  After all the BTC you spent paying people to slander Ripple and running your anti-Ripple ads, this is really the best you've got?  I've seen better talking points from noobs.
vip
👻
August 04, 2013, 10:50:04 PM
the price of XRP is irrelevant to the usefulness or success of the Ripple network

If the market cap of XRP is $1, what does that tell you? It tells you that Ripple has failed. So the price of XRP is relevant with the "usefulness or success of the Ripple network.

You should also be aware that all OpenCoin did was add the XRP scamcoin, they didn't invent the ripple payment system, in fact they failed at trying to implement it in a "simplified" model, and they fail at their business model.

In fact they stole the name OpenCoin from another group.

Now, Ripple very well could fail, just as Bitcoin could fail but it won't be due to the value of XRP.

Yes, it very will fail. XRP becoming worthless will cause Ripple to fail, because XRP is the limiting factor in sending transactions, and when that limiting factor becomes useless servers go down.

I don't even know why I'm arguing with a ripple shill. Trying to get hired by OpenCoin Inc, huh?
August 04, 2013, 10:36:56 PM
XRP is what it is.  Maybe it will be valuable one day and maybe not.  As it relates to the Ripple network, it's completely irrelevant.  It's this point that seems to evade many people because Bitcoin's value is based on what each BTC is actually worth.  If BTC value returns to $0.01, Bitcoin is essentially dead.  Where Ripple's value is not in what XRP is worth but rather how well the network actually works.  It doesn't matter if XRP is worth $0.01 or $1 million.  It's all the same.  But it's because of how we view BTC value, that Ripple continues to get viewed through a BTC vs XRP lens, instead of the compliment the Ripple payment network is to Bitcoin.

Completely false. OpenCoin Inc plays Federal Reserve Bank by adjusting fees and reserves relative to USD terms, in addition to controlling the distribution of XRP (they are effectively introducing more XRP into the monetary supply). People who use Bitcoin want to get away from central bank manipulation, not get to it.

If ripple's value becomes 1 billion XRPs per dollar or what, it is completely dead.

Speak of the devil.   Roll Eyes.

You say such things yet run to your central bank of Gox and blatantly ignore the hypocrisy in such actions.  Look, boo hoo for you that you don't get to mine XRP.  Fortunately, as I said, the price of XRP is irrelevant to the usefulness or success of the Ripple network.  Sorry if that's a tough pill for you to swallow but you better get used to that reality.  I know for you personally it sucks to hear because your weak talking points are getting shot down by truth of a network over a non-existent BTC vs XRP battle.  A fake battle you benefit from by distracting people from the brilliance that is the Ripple payment network.  Not some single crypto currency.

Now, Ripple very well could fail, just as Bitcoin could fail but it won't be due to the value of XRP, like the value of BTC being tied to the success of Bitcoin.  Ripple doesn't have that problem. It will be due to whether the network actually works and whether mass adoption will actually take hold.  Fortunately, you have no bearing on whether either of these will succeed. Deal with it.
vip
👻
August 04, 2013, 08:55:03 PM
XRP is what it is.  Maybe it will be valuable one day and maybe not.  As it relates to the Ripple network, it's completely irrelevant.  It's this point that seems to evade many people because Bitcoin's value is based on what each BTC is actually worth.  If BTC value returns to $0.01, Bitcoin is essentially dead.  Where Ripple's value is not in what XRP is worth but rather how well the network actually works.  It doesn't matter if XRP is worth $0.01 or $1 million.  It's all the same.  But it's because of how we view BTC value, that Ripple continues to get viewed through a BTC vs XRP lens, instead of the compliment the Ripple payment network is to Bitcoin.

Completely false. OpenCoin Inc plays Federal Reserve Bank by adjusting fees and reserves relative to USD terms, in addition to controlling the distribution of XRP (they are effectively introducing more XRP into the monetary supply). People who use Bitcoin want to get away from central bank manipulation, not get to it.

If ripple's value becomes 1 billion XRPs per dollar or what, it is completely dead.
August 04, 2013, 07:30:04 PM
Separating the payment network that is Ripple, from the native currency that is XRP, seems to be a difficult hurdle for many Bitcoiners to overcome.  I don't think it's because it's poorly explained, I think it's mainly because people are either to ideologically blinded to see anything other than Bitcoin or simply to lazy to actually figure out what Ripple is, beyond the talking points of a few haters.  

The Ripple payment network is a thing of brilliance and the potential it has, far exceeds any benefits a single crypto currency offers.  Heck, it far exceeds any 2 or 3 cryptos combined.  But that's because it's not a currency at all and as more people begin to realize this truth, the more people will see the genius and the future that is Ripple.  Allowing people to pay with BTC and merchants to receive that payment in fiat, is the only way crypto will ever see mass adoption.  Currently, Ripple is the only network remotely close to bringing this reality to the masses and when this happens, it will be a good thing for the entire crypto world.

legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006
August 04, 2013, 08:45:34 AM
What do you mean exactly? s1.ripple.com is not the only rippled out there, just saying... at the moment it's rather a question of "what do I need and what can I throw away safely".

Maybe you want to say that it makes not much sense to work with the ~24k account network right now and I should make sure to be able to scale to millions of accounts already? Also I disagree with the "network to nowhere" statement. If you meant something else, maybe give me a link to these simulations.
Activity: 280
August 03, 2013, 08:37:37 AM
Cool... I've posted an API stub if you want to gather some more precise data.  Look forward to your paper...

https://github.com/d4n13
Nice, I personally work simply with the web socket client in Python and rippled, but it might help others.

Currently the most limits concern the rate rippled can actually serve ledger data vs. new ledgers being created.
Maybe I'll try to put some stuff in a local redis or other nosql database so I don't kill or choke the public servers that much...

Anyways, that's details and bitcoind would also have problems if I requested the utxo set + balances for all nonzero addresses at any height...

Back to topic I guess one of the main issues would be to find someone to write a reasonably extendable client to be used by gateways and making rippled more secure and stable. There is a lot going on however, so I'm sure they use the summer not just to chill on the Bahamas with their vc funding. Wink

Edit:
About xrp and market making:
I'm not too sure if xrp have to be market makers by design. They have the very useful property of being 100% accepted, on the other hand though they are volatile. They might be useful as intermediates in paths but I'm not too sure if there is a lot of money in this as to market make, Jed would also need to trust at least one (to gain high arbitrage: a little trusted which in return is more dangerous!) IOU gateway to exchange his xrp at a profit to these IOUs.
If the gateway is already very liquid like bitstamp there will be a lot of people and lines trying to underbid you, if it is badly connected to other gateways like trade fortress, there might be a reason for that...

You are forward engineering a tiny, struggling Network to Nowhere.

Instead, you have to reverse engineer Jed's simulations of a future multi-billion $$$ network.
legendary
August 03, 2013, 03:28:54 AM
Cool... I've posted an API stub if you want to gather some more precise data.  Look forward to your paper...

Nice, I personally work simply with the web socket client in Python and rippled, but it might help others.

Currently the most limits concern the rate rippled can actually serve ledger data vs. new ledgers being created.
Maybe I'll try to put some stuff in a local redis or other nosql database so I don't kill or choke the public servers that much...

Anyways, that's details and bitcoind would also have problems if I requested the utxo set + balances for all nonzero addresses at any height...

Back to topic I guess one of the main issues would be to find someone to write a reasonably extendable client to be used by gateways and making rippled more secure and stable. There is a lot going on however, so I'm sure they use the summer not just to chill on the Bahamas with their vc funding. Wink

Edit:
About xrp and market making:
I'm not too sure if xrp have to be market makers by design. They have the very useful property of being 100% accepted, on the other hand though they are volatile. They might be useful as intermediates in paths but I'm not too sure if there is a lot of money in this as to market make, Jed would also need to trust at least one (to gain high arbitrage: a little trusted which in return is more dangerous!) IOU gateway to exchange his xrp at a profit to these IOUs.
If the gateway is already very liquid like bitstamp there will be a lot of people and lines trying to underbid you, if it is badly connected to other gateways like trade fortress, there might be a reason for that...
Activity: 280
August 02, 2013, 09:34:31 PM
The reason I don't care about XRP is that it is simply the token used to pay for Ripple transactions.

No, that is the early-2013 explanation for retards.

XRP is the first Market Making currency...
It was designed by Jed McCaleb who built MtGox...
And speaking as a professional Market Maker... is a disruptive idea in of itself.

If Ripple ever gains tranction... most optimal exchanges will go via XRP...
Not direct BTC to USD... but rather BTC to XRP to USD...
Anyone owning millions of XRP can collect lucrative transit fees.

Jed paid himself 10-20,000,000,000 XRP. Does Jed think it's a "token"?

On the other hand, as a Rich Monopolist...
Jed completely misread the Bitcoin community and blew it... probably fatally.
Activity: 210
Merit: 101
“Create Your Decentralized Life”
August 02, 2013, 08:29:03 PM
Once I finish my stuff, I might publish some of it - which should give ppl. a better estimate of what is going on in "Rippleland" (e.g. I have seen VERY different estimates about how many XRP are now dispersed amongst users). I'm not too sure about the format though and how to actually profit from it (I invest already quite some time), maybe charge some BTC amounts for a paper on coindl.

Cool... I've posted an API stub if you want to gather some more precise data.  Look forward to your paper...

legendary
August 02, 2013, 07:07:16 PM
That's where the protocol confusion freezes most discussions.  There isn't a native currency per-se.  There are IOUs and XRP.  The "pitch" is that XRP aren't currentcy, but transaction credits.  Currently I'm allowed to do 75 million transactions, but my cost for transactions will go up as servers take load and try to discurrage transactions (by raising the credit cost).

But after I burn through my 75 million transactions, I can "buy" more credits.  This is why the credits cant shake the currency tag.  Since they are buyable, they are defacto currency.  Hence the targe of the the gas and firestorm.

Well, then don't call them currency but asset - anyways, XRP are the only thing in Ripple that can be transferred without issuing trust atm. and they are also intended to be "path shorteners" by allowing people to pice their IOUs against XRP. I'll have to look at market orders too to make an educated statement, but if I look at the trust graphs for USD and BTC alone, Ripple is heavily dominated by Bitstamp at the moment. It depends on market orders, but I guess BTC.Bitstamp and USD.Bitstamp are also useful for direct trade without XRP as intermediate already as well (e.g. against CNY from various issuers).

Once I finish my stuff, I might publish some of it - which should give ppl. a better estimate of what is going on in "Rippleland" (e.g. I have seen VERY different estimates about how many XRP are now dispersed amongst users). I'm not too sure about the format though and how to actually profit from it (I invest already quite some time), maybe charge some BTC amounts for a paper on coindl.
August 02, 2013, 01:20:01 PM
Try coinbase which lets you transfer money within seconds, as easy as an email.
If coinbase integrated with Ripple, you could trade the coinbase IOUs you get by depositing there for anything...

Coinbase is nice, so is CampBX, but they aren't really at parity with BitStamp or Mt.Gox

Ripple to me is more of a transfer/payment network while BTC is more like the gold in a high-security bank vault.

Exactally...

What do you want to accomplish with this thread though? It will only stay here if it is relevant towards Bitcoin, otherwise it will be moved/locked. Only asking for "general thoughts" is a bit weak imho.

When I look at the ripple threads from May, they all got flooded with ripplesux.com posts.  That's fine, but there is an interesting protocol under all the XRP=SUX retoric.  I guess I was hopeing that since I can move USD from my US checking account to BitStamp for < $1.00, that there might be wider adoption.  But that borders on sounding like an XRP shill.

Time will tell I suppose.  If the money movement aspect of it is successfull, with a low percentage of scammers, system might still take hold.

Even if it's debatable if the Better Ripple end is above or below epsilon, it's still undebatable that Ripple - Ripplescamcoin = Better Ripple.

Good thread... thanks for the pointer.  Searched ripple and this one was low on the search order and still pretty old.  Apollogies if this topic is already talked to death.

I would rather see a Ripple implementation that lets you use other currencies (e.g. BTC, LTC...) next to XRP as native currencies. As you anyways don't need a lot of XRP in your whole lifetime however I am not too sure if this would really ever pay off.

That's where the protocol confusion freezes most discussions.  There isn't a native currency per-se.  There are IOUs and XRP.  The "pitch" is that XRP aren't currentcy, but transaction credits.  Currently I'm allowed to do 75 million transactions, but my cost for transactions will go up as servers take load and try to discurrage transactions (by raising the credit cost).

But after I burn through my 75 million transactions, I can "buy" more credits.  This is why the credits cant shake the currency tag.  Since they are buyable, they are defacto currency.  Hence the targe of the the gas and firestorm.

I somehow understand why so many people here are so much against XRP - I don't get however why so many people don't look beyond that. The price of one BigMac buys you more XRP than you probably need in your lifetime and that's the only single transaction you need XRP for. Compare this to Bitcoin... anyways, I'll continue to work on my project(s), have fun bashing/flaming.

Agreed.  I would think Mt.Gox / BitStamp / BTC-e / CampBx  would all jump in the Ripple game.  Making it easier for customers to get money into your shop is always a plus, though the stake costs may be a barrier to many, since, to be honest, you probably have to "seed" the liquidity by agreeing to swap a few 100k with other exchanges.
legendary
August 02, 2013, 07:59:43 AM
Ripple without native currency is similar to villages.cc... also cross currency path finding there seems quite horrible to me once it would gain traction.

I would rather see a Ripple implementation that lets you use other currencies (e.g. BTC, LTC...) next to XRP as native currencies. As you anyways don't need a lot of XRP in your whole lifetime however I am not too sure if this would really ever pay off.

I somehow understand why so many people here are so much against XRP - I don't get however why so many people don't look beyond that. The price of one BigMac buys you more XRP than you probably need in your lifetime and that's the only single transaction you need XRP for. Compare this to Bitcoin... anyways, I'll continue to work on my project(s), have fun bashing/flaming.
Activity: 756
Merit: 522
August 02, 2013, 07:44:41 AM
Even if it's debatable if the Better Ripple end is above or below epsilon, it's still undebatable that Ripple - Ripplescamcoin = Better Ripple.
legendary
August 02, 2013, 07:36:24 AM
If coinbase integrated with Ripple, you could trade the coinbase IOUs you get by depositing there for anything...

Anyways, I'm currently working a bit on/with Ripple so I might be too biased to give useful comments here atm. I generally like the idea and system that IOUs are made more explicit to users (you trade for example USD.MtGox for BTC.MtGox, not USD for BTC on Gox!) and also more fungible/tradeable.

If you just want to move fiat from the US to e.g. HK, then Ripple might really be better suited for you than always using BTC as an intermediate currency. Also if you want to keep a balance in BTC and buy things that are priced in different currencies, Ripple might allow that in case you do trust a gateway (which is in the end exactly the kind of service coinbase offers - deposit coins to them and get them back later) that is reasonably well connected in the Ripple network.

Ripple to me is more of a transfer/payment network while BTC is more like the gold in a high-security bank vault.

What do you want to accomplish with this thread though? It will only stay here if it is relevant towards Bitcoin, otherwise it will be moved/locked. Only asking for "general thoughts" is a bit weak imho.
Activity: 21
Merit: 0
August 02, 2013, 02:07:01 AM
Try coinbase which lets you transfer money within seconds, as easy as an email.
August 02, 2013, 01:18:40 AM
A fresh Ripple thread to flame.  I've been tempted to post to one of the others, but the context seemed a bit off.

Let me set the stage.  I could give a flying fxxk for the price of XRP.  The only time I would care about XRP is if it became worth $10,000 per XRP.  I think we can all safely agree on the fact that that will never ever ever ever happen.  The reason I don't care about XRP is that it is simply the token used to pay for Ripple transactions.  It's the token used to pay the ferryman, so long as the token is sufficiently worthless (good) the fare is sufficiently cheap (really good).

So establishing that I'm rooting for XRP to go DOWN in value, my primary interest in Ripple is Ripple-as-a-service (not a coin).  As a service, what's your (BCT community) take on Ripple as a service?

I'll agree that it is closed source (in the sense that it is not 100% open, making it closed).

I'll agree that the founders are sitting on about $500 million in capitalization (based on the current ludicrous price of 140 XRP to the dollar).

I'll agree that it is a confusing protocol and poorly explained.

With all that said, is its evil as equally limited as Paypal, Dwolla, OKPay and other trans-national fund transfer services?  Or is it more evil than Paypal or its ilk, and if so how?

I'm just really trying to find ways to move $$ from US to RU or EU or HK, and Ripple seems to be the cheapest/quickest ferry service out there right now.  BitInstant, or Dwolla, or OKPay might all snap back to life, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thoughts?

*flame-on*
Pages:
Jump to: