Pages:
Author

Topic: Ripple SOUNDS nice but there are some MAJOR problems - page 5. (Read 7025 times)

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
Not all details are explained but it is written that there is only 100 billion XRP ever, and that 200 XRP is required to be held in an account at all times.
The first part is correct. There are 100 billion XRP in the genesis ledger and XRP cannot be created. It's not quite correct that 200 XRP must be held in an account at all times. Rather than having fees for creating accounts or maintaining ledger entries, Ripple uses a reserve. A reserve is XRP that you cannot transfer but that can be used to pay transaction fees. This also makes it harder to jam yourself into a situation where don't have enough XRPs to perform a transaction. The reserve is enough to cover 2,000 transactions at current rates.

XRP aren't an asset as Bitcoin, their main function is to avoid spam on the network.

This contradicts the wiki, which states:

"When the Ripple network was created, 100 billion XRP was created. The founders gave 80 billion XRP to the OpenCoin Inc. OpenCoin Inc. will develop the Ripple software, promote the Ripple payment system, give away XRP, and sell XRP."

Clearly, XRP can be sold. If you sign up for the beta and explore their interface, XRP appears just like any other currency unit.
They can be bought and sold, but their primary purpose is to pay transaction fees to protect the network from denial of service attacks and spam transactions.

I won't be surprised if there will be the possibility to have more than 100 billion XRP in the future if they are needed.

If XRP can be created by the founders, then it dilutes the value of existing XRP units. We know that XRP have value because it says right in the wiki that they can be traded for other currencies. They are just another currency unit according to the interface.
In theory, a critical mass of users of any system can change the rules. However, there is no mechanism to create XRP other than a fundamental change in the system. While this could be done in principle, just as Bitcoin could be modified to keep the block reward at 25 forever, this would severely undermine confidence in the system and it's hard to imagine everyone needed to make such a change being willing to do so because of the damage it would do.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
Looking over the documentation (https://ripple.com/wiki/) there is a lot of information about the protocol that is not explained. There is certainly nowhere nearly enough information to produce a competing implementation. A lot of important details are swept under the rug. For example, in "How it works", it is claimed that "Ledgers are really hash trees". No further explanation is given.
https://ripple.com/wiki/Ledger
https://ripple.com/wiki/Hash_Tree

This nonsense is repeated all over the documentation, with promises that "mathematical proofs are coming soon."
Feel free to ask for details. I'm happy to improve the wiki. From the wiki:

Here's the high-level view on why our algorithm is stable:

1) Every honest node wants a consensus. They will wait as long as it takes in order to get one. We have no fixed amount of time in which a consensus must be reached.

2) There is no moving target during a consensus window. With respect to establishing that consensus, the world is frozen. There is a fixed amount of information to be known about the state, and more information is always gathered by nodes. They don't forget anything. The ratcheting up of the agreement level required ensures a consensus will eventually be reached.

3) Dishonest nodes cannot stop transactions from propagating to the vast majority of honest nodes. A node would have to have every single one of its connections to a dishonest node. (And we imagine 'core' nodes agreeing to directly connect to each other as a safety.)

4) So long as a transaction can be applied to the ledger and the vast majority of nodes see it before the consensus window, there's nothing dishonest nodes can do to stop honest nodes from including it. (Nodes will extend the consensus window if they aren't getting votes or acquiring transaction sets from trusted nodes that have voted.)

5) If a transaction does not get into a consensus set, but is valid, every honest node that has seen that transaction will vote to include it in the next consensus set.

6) No honest node particularly cares what's in the consensus set, provided it includes transactions that were seen well before the consensus window started. There is no way a dishonest party could get something into the transaction set that shouldn't be there and have that cause any harm. Invalid transactions will have no effect, even if they get in the consensus set.

It is said that the ledger achieves consensus between decentralized nodes without proof of work (a bold claim) and yet, no step by step algorithm is provided. The closest it comes to anything resembling detail is that a transaction is either "passed", "soft failed", or "hard failed." With no other information provided. Answers to important questions, like how Ripple peers are discovered, the messages passed between nodes, who manages the central list of "unique nodes" (for every client's UNL) are totally missing.
This is spread throughout the wiki. You're right that's not concentrated in any one place.
https://ripple.com/wiki/Continuous_Ledger_Close
https://ripple.com/wiki/Ledger_Cycle

Looking over the Ripple forum and reading some parts of the wiki, it seems that Ripple credits ("XRPs") are distributed by hand by the administrators of the system? In what way is this decentralized?
Once they're distributed, those who hold them can do whatever they want with them, and nobody can create new ones. Large numbers of them will be given away soon.

In the other Ripple thread, people are fawning over this rubbish like it's the second coming of Jesus. I suspect these are non technical individuals who have fallen in love with the idea (which is decent) but don't have any inkling of whether or not it can work at the technical level.
There were several sets of technical discussions about this. Some of them are here: https://ripple.com/wiki/Unedited_Notes

I'm happy to answer your questions and improve the wiki.
staff
Activity: 4256
Merit: 1203
I support freedom of choice
We know that XRP have value because it says right in the wiki that they can be traded for other currencies. They are just another currency unit according to the interface.
I'm speculating that there is an open possibility that their number will increase if needed to make the network working better. (miners?)
XRP can be a good exchange system, because they will have a value for sure, but they won't be a good asset, they won't be good to safe money/value for a "long" time. (just speculation...)
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
I don't think that you know that either since, as you pointed out, not all details are explained.

Not all details are explained but it is written that there is only 100 billion XRP ever, and that 200 XRP is required to be held in an account at all times.

References:

https://ripple.com/wiki/Reserves
https://ripple.com/wiki/Ripple_credits

XRP aren't an asset as Bitcoin, their main function is to avoid spam on the network.

This contradicts the wiki, which states:

"When the Ripple network was created, 100 billion XRP was created. The founders gave 80 billion XRP to the OpenCoin Inc. OpenCoin Inc. will develop the Ripple software, promote the Ripple payment system, give away XRP, and sell XRP."

Clearly, XRP can be sold. If you sign up for the beta and explore their interface, XRP appears just like any other currency unit.

I won't be surprised if there will be the possibility to have more than 100 billion XRP in the future if they are needed.

If XRP can be created by the founders, then it dilutes the value of existing XRP units. We know that XRP have value because it says right in the wiki that they can be traded for other currencies. They are just another currency unit according to the interface.

Activity: 311
Merit: 250
Bitcoin.se site owner

Regardless of their original purpose it seems to me that they have the all necessary properties to be an asset like Bitcoin.

Is this pure speculation or is there some reasoning behind it? I thought that the number of existing XRP would be in the "genesis ledger" and not possible to change just like that.
Bitcoin.se site owner
I still think that you overreact a lot when saying that is has "MAJOR problems"
Did you know that there is a hard limit of only 500 million accounts?

No, I didn't. And I don't think that you know that either since, as you pointed out, not all details are explained. It's just that my initial reaction to this is not to start alarming topics but to ask them to clarify things. They are Bitcoiners you know, they are around for questions.
staff
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
i would think that the proof of work principle would need to be applied to Ripple to encourage correct behavior.
legendary
Aren't reserve requirements, like transaction fees, modifiable?

Exactly, these important details are not explained. I sure hope reserve requirements aren't modifiable or else they could just be lowered to zero and then they would serve no purpose to prevent spam.
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
I got the impression that it conveyed to me a decent gist of how it does consensus, except that it did not seem really clear on how to deal with someone trying to instantly doublespend such as by connecting to two nodes very distant from each other in connectivity telling each one a different place to spend the same coins to.

Thinking about it it seems to me it could be useful to flag the account doing the sends as somehow corrupt or problematic rather than to penalise other nodes for happening to prefer the spend they heard about first; otherwise both nodes might end up thinking they have the right one and the other has a wrong one.

So yeah I can see that some detail seems to be missing. I don't remember seeing anything about flagging accounts for such things, just about whether to trust nodes about items nodes have heard of.

I also agree that the desire to have their personal 20 billion ripples aquire value and their company's 80 billion ripples (minus however many it gives away) aquire value does seem decent motive for trying to establish "network effect" before all the altripples pop up.

As to the limit of 500 million accounts, that would only be if reserve requirement per account stayed at 200 ripples per account forever. Aren't reserve requirements, like transaction fees, modifiable?

-MarkM-
legendary
I still think that you overreact a lot when saying that is has "MAJOR problems"

Did you know that there is a hard limit of only 500 million accounts? And that once this limit is reached it is no longer possible to create transactions? Even with the little documentation that is there, this fact can be factored out:

- Limit of 100 billion Ripple credits
- Required to have 200 Ripple credit balance in an account
- Transactions require Ripple credits

Hardly an insignificant issue.
Bitcoin.se site owner
Yeah, well, it doesn't contain "every intricate detail" and it isn't "enough information to produce a competing implementation".

I disagree. There's enough there to where you can create your own client that functions similarly to Bitcoin. It might not have binary compatibility (i.e. the messages passed between peers may not be compatible, and the format of the blocks would probably be different). But all of the "difficult" problems are explained in the paper and this is the guts of Bitcoin.

Compare this with Ripple, where every "difficult" problem is just swept under the rug with a non-explanation in the wiki.

OK, I get your point. I still think that you overreact a lot when saying that is has "MAJOR problems" (or as in the original subject "flawed implementation"). So yes, don't put all your money on Ripple right now. Wait for a bit, make sure that they release the code as promised, ask questions about the protocol and have them update the wiki.
staff
I think that the simpler answer is that they are probably trying to avoid that someone come up with a competing implementation/clone before of their own product. (if you want to speculate on the "bad" view)
It's probably a good idea, and they want to be sure to take this part of the market before anyone else.
When they will be sure that the product is secure from bug/hacks and they have a good marketplace, they will release all sourcecode for servers/notes and it will become completely decentralized.
This can already happen in the next few weeks.

Anyway, this is just speculation now, but if someone is already jealous it is his own problem.
legendary
Yeah, well, it doesn't contain "every intricate detail" and it isn't "enough information to produce a competing implementation".

I disagree. There's enough there to where you can create your own client that functions similarly to Bitcoin. It might not have binary compatibility (i.e. the messages passed between peers may not be compatible, and the format of the blocks would probably be different). But all of the "difficult" problems are explained in the paper and this is the guts of Bitcoin.

Compare this with Ripple, where every "difficult" problem is just swept under the rug with a non-explanation in the wiki.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
in the ECB paper on Bitcoin, which alt currency platform was the one that allowed selective "inflation" of the money supply by its owners?
Bitcoin.se site owner
If you wanna make a fair comparison you should compare it to how complete the documentation of Bitcoin was in 2009.

Agreed. Here's the original paper, published in 2008:

Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System

Every revolutionary idea is explained, along with an analysis. This is completely absent for Ripple.

legendary
If you wanna make a fair comparison you should compare it to how complete the documentation of Bitcoin was in 2009.

Agreed. Here's the original paper, published in 2008:

Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System

Every revolutionary idea is explained, along with an analysis. This is completely absent for Ripple.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Anytime i feel smart around normal people, i come on here and get brought back down to earth by the sheer amount of brilliance that occupies this forum.

Never ceases to amaze me. Always so far above my head lol
Bitcoin.se site owner
It's in beta and so it isn't complete.
Wait for this: https://github.com/rippleFoundation/ripple

Yeah nice job stating the obvious. Bitcoin is also in beta and yet we know about every intricate detail.

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
Agree with OP. I also think there lacked some clear cut info about how it actually works on a technical level.
Pages:
Jump to: