Pages:
Author

Topic: riser cable with power or without power - page 2. (Read 2098 times)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0
There you go. This is the stable configuration with 4 cards. There is a bit of space between the cards and the PSU, so I'm currently fitting a fifth one in there  Cheesy

http://s7.directupload.net/images/130510/vkxi66i4.jpg

It's awesome!!

Where did you get the hardware for that open air rig?
Activity: 1190
Merit: 516
There you go. This is the stable configuration with 4 cards. There is a bit of space between the cards and the PSU, so I'm currently fitting a fifth one in there  Cheesy

You don't need special configuration, just plug in the risers. But not all combinations of PCIe slots work. Was a bit of trial and error until all cards got recognized.

OS is Win 7.

Will post some pictures later!

Thanks Sophokles!
You don't need special configuration, just plug in the risers. But not all combinations of PCIe slots work. Was a bit of trial and error until all cards got recognized.

OS is Win 7.

Will post some pictures later!
I have this motherboard = GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5

3way AMD CrossFireX and SLI multi-graphics support

You will need a powered riser for at least the fourth card, I would suggest at least two just to be safe, though. 7970's are power hungry.

Actually, I have the exactly the same setup (mobo and cards) running with 4 cards, without powered risers. Has been running stable for weeks (mining litecoin), no problem so far. I have just mailed Gigabyte customer support if its ok to plug in a fifth card... We keep you posted about the results, hehe.

Do you have a picture to share with all of us Smiley

With 4 cards do you have to do any kind of special configuration? or just plug it into the motherboard with the riser cable?

What OS are you running?

You will need a powered riser for at least the fourth card, I would suggest at least two just to be safe, though. 7970's are power hungry.

Actually, I have the exactly the same setup (mobo and cards) running with 4 cards, without powered risers. Has been running stable for weeks (mining litecoin), no problem so far. I have just mailed Gigabyte customer support if its ok to plug in a fifth card... We keep you posted about the results, hehe.
I think you can use 1x to 16x cables for all cards.  At least I've seen many rigs with this setup. someone please tell me if I'm wrong because I ordered a 10x lot of 1x to 16x cables.

1x to x16 cables are fine for all cards

Activity: 13
I think you can use 1x to 16x cables for all cards.  At least I've seen many rigs with this setup. someone please tell me if I'm wrong because I ordered a 10x lot of 1x to 16x cables.

Can i use all x16 by x16 riser cable for all slots? because the there is one x4 and one x8 and two x16.

Activity: 270
Merit: 220
CQ - I make High Voltage glowy things.
I'd like to tack onto this thread!

I also offer both types powered risers at Cryptocables.com if anyone is looking for any! I am based in the US, and have flat rate shipping domestically and internationally. Additionally, I also include free Pop Rocks candy with every order :o)

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me!

Activity: 19
Anyone have a link for a good powered riser?

I got an order of 5 off of E-Bay (from Hong Kong, though, so be prepared to wait) in a single listing for ~$25.

They shipped out the day I ordered along with tracking.
Activity: 10
why not use a riser and use power adapter instead?  Much cheaper route I think
Activity: 98
Merit: 10

www.cablesaurus.com

www.buyahash.com

I have an order with Cablesaurus (they still have not been delivered) I ordered about a week and a half ago.

The Owner of BuyAHash responded to me on Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/litecoin/comments/1dlpfs/cheap_and_easy_risers/c9syqb8?context=3

Activity: 5
Thanks for the feedback AzureEngineer!!

Grin
Thanks for the feedback AzureEngineer!!

Depends how many GPUs your motherboard is designed to handle. Most boards aren't designed with more than two GPUs in mind. Powered risers are your safest bet regardless.
Hi all,

I'm building my first rig with 4 x Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5 OC.

Do I  need to use the riser cable with or without power?

Thanks for your feedback!
Pages:
Jump to: