Pages:
Author

Topic: Ron Paul Bitcoin Cheque - page 2. (Read 13704 times)

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000
Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem
December 09, 2011, 01:42:49 PM
Got my order of 5 Ron Paul cheques today... they turned out pretty nice.  They are sized like dollar bills, and they are cut nice and straight.

The back has room to explain "What is Bitcoin?" if it were handed out to somebody or left as a tip at a restaurant.

For those who don't want to part with bitcoins to buy cheques, I put up an auction on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ron-Paul-Bitcoin-Cheque-Set-5-/130613951333

Bidding! I'm edplive
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1137
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
December 09, 2011, 12:29:27 PM
I got my "standard" checks but have not gotten my Ron Paul's yet.  Any idea when they will ship?
Activity: 533
Merit: 501
December 09, 2011, 11:24:38 AM
Got my order of 5 Ron Paul cheques today... they turned out pretty nice.  They are sized like dollar bills, and they are cut nice and straight.

The back has room to explain "What is Bitcoin?" if it were handed out to somebody or left as a tip at a restaurant.

That is a great idea. Thanks!

The original bills looked like this on the back:
http://printcoins.com/images/gallery/back.jpg

but I took it off the cheques since I didn't want to encourage circulation.

Someone at work has been interested in bitcoins, but not enough to install any software. He bought a cheque off me funded with a bitcoin for a couple 1oz Ron Paul copper coins. He now uses it as a chip with other coworkers that do have bitcoins for our daily bitcoin gambling foosball game.

He is big on double or nothing, so more coins will end up going to the bill over time.

They are great for people who are into bitcoin, but too lazy to bother with it.

Two others bought them with cash. One bought a set of 5 to send to his family members.

For those who don't want to part with bitcoins to buy cheques, I put up an auction on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ron-Paul-Bitcoin-Cheque-Set-5-/130613951333
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
December 09, 2011, 04:36:49 AM
Got my order of 5 Ron Paul cheques today... they turned out pretty nice.  They are sized like dollar bills, and they are cut nice and straight.

December 02, 2011, 03:21:23 PM
If anyone is interested, I can easily do vanity bills (your image or business icon in the middle). There is no extra charge for this, but the minimum order is 28 bills (must be a multiple of 4). The image must be square and I would recommend at least 400x400 px. Alpha transparent PNG images work fine.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
December 01, 2011, 11:11:30 PM
I'm not good at this  Roll Eyes

Was trying to bait a Ron Paul Zealot an now this.  Tongue

Wagner Bucks: Yes, why not make a new fiat currency, 'backed' by bitcoin.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
December 01, 2011, 10:59:38 PM
Did you get Ron Pauls permission to do this? You know politics....

Also, given a eventual smear campaign against him do you think it wise to do this. Bitcoin could easily be see in the wrong light depending on the results. Not that could get any worse with Bruce Wagner.

WTF?  That was going to be my business plan.  Wagner bucks.  The public key is hidden under a hologram so you can't verify the value until you accept it and there is no private key.

Well back to the drawing board.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
December 01, 2011, 09:14:30 PM
Did you get Ron Pauls permission to do this? You know politics....

Also, given a eventual smear campaign against him do you think it wise to do this. Bitcoin could easily be see in the wrong light depending on the results. Not that could get any worse with Bruce Wagner.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
December 01, 2011, 09:02:24 PM
This cheque rocks!  Grin
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
December 01, 2011, 08:58:13 PM
I actually believe that these bills/coins that appeal to fringe groups may bring at least notoriety to Bitcoin. Commemorative FED obituary bills, Andrew Jackson (who was anti-FED) might be an appropriate prez, and the religion angle is always provocative.
December 01, 2011, 08:32:20 PM
Yep, Ron Paul coins are all over the net in a variety of forms and materials.

I think it is actually a common thing for many potential and actual presidents to be on random non-official coins and bills.

Though it does seem like it is good for business for people to think that my printing press will be stopped by someone. So, yeah, get'em while you can.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
December 01, 2011, 05:01:17 PM
They aren't going to care. It's free campaigning as far as future President Paul is concerned. Ergo:

http://www.usrarecoininvestments.com/images/coin_articles/1oz_$2000_Ron_Paul_Liberty_Dollar.jpg
vip
December 01, 2011, 04:59:42 PM
As a big supporter of bitcoin and Ron Paul, I gotta say I don't like this at all.  Associating the two serves to discredit both from different angles.  There is no reason why they should be linked and Ron Paul's campaign has refused anything associated with bitcoin.  I would not use this.

I bet all of the dead people pictured on Federal Reserve notes would want nothing to do with the Federal Reserve if they were still alive!
vip
December 01, 2011, 04:54:51 PM
Due to an unexpected increase in demand, I have had to reorder supplies. A few of the orders that have been placed will be sent out this week, but new orders will be delayed about 5 business days.

I am sorry for the delay,
Rob

Congratulations for selling out and for having created something people clearly want.

Hopefully the uptick in demand doesn't lead to Ron Paul's campaign asking you to quit it.  But if it does, chances are Dr. Paul will have held one in his hands.
December 01, 2011, 04:10:19 PM
Due to an unexpected increase in demand, I have had to reorder supplies. A few of the orders that have been placed will be sent out this week, but new orders will be delayed about 5 business days.

I am sorry for the delay,
Rob
Activity: 257
Merit: 250
December 01, 2011, 12:56:47 PM
As a big supporter of bitcoin and Ron Paul, I gotta say I don't like this at all.  Associating the two serves to discredit both from different angles.  There is no reason why they should be linked and Ron Paul's campaign has refused anything associated with bitcoin.  I would not use this.
legendary
December 01, 2011, 02:05:52 AM
These are one time checks, not notes for circulation.  They are designed for one time use just like the cheap paper checks in your check book.  They are for those times when I want to give someone some BTC and I want to "write a check" and give it to them.  The expectation is that they would then peel off the sticker and cash the check when they get a chance later on.

Bills for circulation would need custom holograms (two holograms from two different trusted entities is my preference), higher quality paper, etc.  There are a couple other thread discussing the creation of Bitcoin notes for circulation at https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/pics-physical-bitcoin-bills-for-real-world-transactions-printcoinscom-52998 and https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/elliptic-curve-math-question-53177

If you read these threads you will find that the design is coming along nicely.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
It's all about the game, and how you play it
November 30, 2011, 08:44:29 PM
using the image of a public figure is a poor choice in this case fair use wouldn’t hold up if Mr. Paul didn't like them and decided to take you to court(send him one with a letter explaining what they are and how they work if you insist on using his image)

as far as the quality is concerned, your media doesn’t appear to be something that would hold up if it got wet once too many times i don't see these being something that could be circulated more than a few times esp. considering that the paper you've chosen to use is thin enough i can see the next bill there's nothing to stop me from buying the same hologram, making a good scan and issuing 3 or 4 of the same bill to people (which will check as funded until someone redeems one)
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
November 30, 2011, 05:56:40 PM
Getting back on topic ...
I might buy one just to donate it to Ron Paul.  Grin

My guess (and before someone slams me for being a mind reader it is just my opinion) is that if Mr. Paul had anything negative to say it wouldn't be using his image from the public domain but rather the bills could be construed as people putting faith into Mr. Paul.
legendary
November 30, 2011, 05:52:21 PM
I am moving this discussion back to the other thread since it has nothing to do with Ron Paul.  Why don't we all go back to https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/elliptic-curve-math-question-53177
Pages:
Jump to: