Pages:
Author

Topic: RoninDojo bans connections to Knots nodes - page 2. (Read 326 times)

legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 6108
Blackjack.fun
December 16, 2023, 01:52:03 PM
You want your node to broadcast your transactions, and other nodes to relay them. If you found a node was arbitrarily rejecting all your completely valid and completely standard transactions based on some local setting, then being connected to that node is a hindrance for the purposes of broadcasting your transactions.

Well said, it just so funny:
- ordinals are a spam attacks on the bitcoin blockchain
- rejecting valid transactions is not an attack, it's...something else!
I can't wait to hear Luke screaming how this is another attack and playing the victim card in the war he started.

Knots nodes identify themselves as such via their User Agent/subver string.

I bet there will be an update pretty soon. Wink
Btw, where did you get the stats for the % of nodes?

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
December 16, 2023, 07:09:04 AM
Just use getpeerinfo, or click on individual peers on your peer list window using the GUI. Knots nodes identify themselves as such via their User Agent/subver string.
Activity: 406
Merit: 896
December 16, 2023, 06:56:56 AM
Are you in favour of this approach though?
I don't see why not. You want your node to broadcast your transactions, and other nodes to relay them. If you found a node was arbitrarily rejecting all your completely valid and completely standard transactions based on some local setting, then being connected to that node is a hindrance for the purposes of broadcasting your transactions. That node will also not relay to you other users' completely valid and completely standard transactions which you want to learn about, for the same reason. So replacing that node with another node makes logical sense.

If you found one of your peers was refusing to relay all your transactions but you didn't know why, would you not simply replace it with another peer?

Sounds reasonable but as you said, you need to inspect your logs and see which nodes reject your txs, don't you?

I am reading their code now and it looks like there is no way of knowing the if a machine is running Knots. So you have to manually check the logs and then setban
legendary
December 16, 2023, 06:30:18 AM
I don't see why not. You want your node to broadcast your transactions, and other nodes to relay them. If you found a node was arbitrarily rejecting all your completely valid and completely standard transactions based on some local setting, then being connected to that node is a hindrance for the purposes of broadcasting your transactions. That node will also not relay to you other users' completely valid and completely standard transactions which you want to learn about, for the same reason. So replacing that node with another node makes logical sense.

If you found one of your peers was refusing to relay all your transactions but you didn't know why, would you not simply replace it with another peer?
December 16, 2023, 06:13:37 AM
You can always do this manually using setban in Core, though.

To be honest, banning in Core, seems like something I wouldn't consider doing before these things happened. I mean it never crossed my mind until now that I should ban other nodes from my node.
legendary
December 16, 2023, 05:26:19 AM
Now, Umbrel offers a docker image of Samourai Server.
Looks like it is still stuck on version 1.16.1 of Dojo, so this feature won't be there yet.

You can always do this manually using setban in Core, though.
December 16, 2023, 05:09:38 AM
Not a surprising move, really. If Knots are going to refuse to relay Whirlpool transactions, then Samourai are simply not going to connect to any Knots nodes with their software to ensure their transactions continue to get good propagation. There will also be people who do not run Dojo but won't want to connect to Knots nodes for the same reason.

I believe it is also a decision based on their values. Of course there is a need to do it, but I think this move is also symbolic.

Now, Umbrel offers a docker image of Samourai Server. I think that if you use umbrel and enable this feature, then essentially you run a Dojo node on your machine. Don't you? If so, you can easily connect your Samourai & Sentinel wallets straight to this server. And again, if you can do this, people can use this feature on their Umbrel nodes. There are many people I know who use Umbrel and perhaps this will make it easier for them. Do you have any info regarding this? Because if this is the case, then the percentage of people running Dojo can increase significantly.

This is unlikely to make any meaningful difference to the wider network though, given that Dojo is about 3.1% of all nodes, and Knots is about 0.4% of all nodes.

Any move supporting our privacy is welcome, no matter how big the impact is.
legendary
December 16, 2023, 04:48:50 AM
Starting with this release, it will not be possible to use Knots fork of Bitcoin Core when connecting to an external bitcoin node because Dojo will actively refuse to make an RPC connection to such node.

For users with bitcoind installed by Dojo (via docker), bitcoind will now periodically scan connected peers and ban those that are detected as Knots. This feature can be turned off by setting BITCOIND_CRON_JOBS=off in docker-bitcoind.conf.

This feature was added to protect our users whose privacy-enhancing transactions such as tx0 or BIP47 notification would not be relayed properly because of non standard policies set by default on Knots nodes.

Not a surprising move, really. If Knots are going to refuse to relay Whirlpool transactions, then Samourai are simply not going to connect to any Knots nodes with their software to ensure their transactions continue to get good propagation. There will also be people who do not run Dojo but won't want to connect to Knots nodes for the same reason.

This is unlikely to make any meaningful difference to the wider network though, given that Dojo is about 3.1% of all nodes, and Knots is about 0.4% of all nodes.

Low value and off topic replies will be deleted.
Pages:
Jump to: