Pages:
Author

Topic: Rosewell Rackmount GTX 1080 build - page 2. (Read 2026 times)

legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
March 28, 2017, 06:21:32 AM

These are AWESOME cases.   Hands down, best bang for the buck.   Tomorrow I am installing my home/Gaming PC into one of these cases.   You can actually properly manage airflow, compared to a typical CPU case.

The machine is as follows:
ASRock H97 Anniversary
Celeron 2.6Ghz cpu
6Gb DDR3
200Gb SSD
Rosewell 4U EATX case
2x EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
1x EVGA GTX 1080 SC
1x PNY GTX 1080 Reference style
1x Dell-OEM GTX 1080 Reference style

My comments about building a miner into the case:
*For the novice/intermediate id suggest sourcing the GPU rack a member here sells.  Eyeballing it all, is a PITA especially when only using hand tools (hacksaw, drill, riveter, etc)
*You have to cut and modify the front assembly that's removed initially (to fit the video cards) to be able to use the front fans the case comes with.  *When I finish modifying this one, I'll post up photos of how I did it using all the OEM case hardware/components and still fit the GPU assembly.
*Be sure to properly insulate and stand-off the risers.  I learned the lesson by riveting them directly to the support bracket.  Shorts to ground suck for diagnosing.
*Always, ALWAYS, install the first card, and get it fully running and hashing;  then add a second, and so-on.  Don't try to do them all at once.  This is doubly so for GPU setups over 2 cards.  You get less driver issues.
*You can't use the intermediate set of fans in the case with larger/longer GPU and power supplies.  The shorter cards (single fan nvidia, or RX series cards) seem to be able to fit behind it.
*It's easy to attach hardware to the casing like rails to screw the GPU's to, just use rivets if you don't need to countersink the bolts for a tight-fitting rack.

After it was up and hashing;  holy crap.  The 1080's put out a LOT of heat.  They began to thermally regulate pretty quick.  The casing needs more airflow (I am working on the fans for the front now) and it's currently running as an open rig.... plus, its not in the data center yet.

Feel free to flame;  the internet is good for that.  I take it rather well Wink
Pages:
Jump to: