Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 189. (Read 387493 times)

Activity: 770
Merit: 500
July 09, 2014, 03:08:55 PM
I've listed the Flaws of Darkcoin and Monero.

Darkcoin's Flaws:

1) Darkcoin has a 50% instamine by it's own developers during launch, as the block reward was set to 500, and there was no windows wallets/miners. Evan, the developer, and Internetape, the other developer, instamined over 1million Darkcoin's within 24 hours.

2) Darkcoin's name itself, Darkcoin, will always be affiliated with illegal activity like the Darkweb, Drugs, etc, and the name itself ensures that Darkcoin will never reach anything close to mainstream acceptance.

3) Darkcoin's "anonymity" is based on coinjoin, it simply mixes users coins around, making it harder to track it. However, if even the slightest taint if found when mixing the coins, an investigator will be able to deduce who sent what and who received what. The maker of coinjoin, Gmaxwell, deeply criticized Darkcoin since it's coinjoin based "anonymity" is basically a joke.

4) Darkcoin's mixing system/coinjoin relies on something called Masternodes, Masternodes are nodes that are set up by people, anyone can set one up, and Masternodes are the things that mix the coin around. Masternodes also present many risks besides giving trivial "anonymity", if all masternodes are owned by one individual, he will be able to "de-anonymize" Darkcoin and see all transactions clearly.

5) Darkcoin's Masternode Payment system has forked the network many times, and has failed Twice in the effort to pay the owners of Masternodes.

6) Darkcoin's Masternode/Darksend system is closed source, so that means the developers could be stealing coins, or doing any other malicious things, and it will remain unnoticed

7) The Masternodes can always be DDOSed, effectively shutting them down, if the majority of Masternodes were taken offline(they are mostly hosted on Amazon servers), then Darkcoin's trivial anonymity will completely shut off

Cool There are many many other flaws, it will take up too much space to list, so I've listed the main ones.

Monero's Flaws:

1) Monero's bloating/scaling is an issue, where the blockchain itself takes up a lot of space on someone's computer, however, there have solutions to this, as shown by Crypto_Zoidberg, after he fixed this issue with his own coin. The issue has pretty much been fixed anyway, since bloating was caused by dust payments from pools, and with a recent update, those dust payments have been taken off. But because I think it will look to unfair compared to Darkcoin's 101 flaws, I had to list a "flaw" for Monero Tongue

2) That's it.
Activity: 133
Merit: 100
July 09, 2014, 03:04:51 PM
Is DRK still closed sourced? If so, people shouldn't trust it.

legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000
July 09, 2014, 02:59:13 PM
Anonymint said that DRK solution is fundamentally flawed and very insecure. Privacy minded people will not use DRK for real transactions for sure.
July 09, 2014, 02:57:38 PM

Anonymint explained how CN bloat CANNOT be solved.

Where did he say this? I haven't seen that argument before.

Look through his posts, there's a recent one (about 1-2 weeks old) where he talks mainly about Zerocash, but mentions CryptoNote towards the end. There's also an older discussion in the Monero thread.

It's either you're terribly misinformed or you're plain old lying. Anonymint, at the time he made those posts, was proved wrong on some things he said, probably because he misinterprated the information that was presented in the cryptonote whitepaper.

If you want to go this route Brilliantrocket....I'll copy/paste All of Anonymint's comments on Darkcoin, of which are all true(he basically "helped" Evan with his criticism) and I'll also post Gmaxwell's posts about Darkcoin, in which he says Darkcoin is basically a "Joke"(in my own words).

Would you like that? You sure have a lot of lies to say towards other coins, but Darkcoin itself has been proved to have no substance, by gmaxwell and anonymint..
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
July 09, 2014, 02:57:26 PM
Fortunately crypto zoidberg partially solved this problem already for the bbr chain and he saves 30-70% memory for transactions.
Activity: 826
July 09, 2014, 02:44:45 PM

Look through his posts, there's a recent one (about 1-2 weeks old) where he talks mainly about Zerocash, but mentions CryptoNote towards the end. There's also an older discussion in the Monero thread.
Activity: 938
Merit: 1001
July 09, 2014, 02:43:51 PM
The CryptoNote protocol makes itself obsolete. I seriously doubt it's going anywhere beyond proof of concept. Anonymint explained how CN bloat CANNOT be solved.

You seem to love quoting AnonyMint so much. He also said that masternode/supernode idea of Darkcoin and XC is fundamentally flawed.

The last thing I remember was Anonymint and Evan finally getting along and Evan changing things based on Anonymint's critiques.
Activity: 938
July 09, 2014, 02:41:19 PM

July 09, 2014, 02:36:39 PM
The CryptoNote protocol makes itself obsolete. I seriously doubt it's going anywhere beyond proof of concept. Anonymint explained how CN bloat CANNOT be solved.

You seem to love quoting AnonyMint so much. He also said that masternode/supernode idea of Darkcoin and XC is fundamentally flawed.
Everything is flawed in one way or another. Some things more so than others.

Darkcoins instamine, name, and lack of anonymity are the biggest flaws any crypto coin ever had. Your in denial.
Yawn. You keep trotting out the same old,  tired and refuted arguments.
July 09, 2014, 02:28:33 PM

Darkcoins instamine, name, and lack of anonymity are the biggest flaws any crypto coin ever had. Your in denial.
July 09, 2014, 02:27:02 PM

July 09, 2014, 02:25:56 PM
It's funny that these guys support darkcoin.

Darkcoin has a fucking 50% instamine  by its own dev team! they can't talk about any other coins. Even orange ion is better than dark coin, at least their devs didn't instamine the coin fifty percent. Evan himself owns over 200k dark coins from the instamine
TTM
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
July 09, 2014, 02:11:26 PM

Activity: 1110
Merit: 534
July 09, 2014, 02:04:23 PM
Would you install a 2000 pound bracket onto your car if it made it harder for someone to break in? Nothing is NSA proof. Darkcoin is a practical solution for privacy minded individuals. CN is an over the top "solution" that gives a false sense of security.

As for the backdoors, your computer has a cpu right? Game over.

Open source software is not enough.
We need open source hardware as well produced and licensed under GPL
or similar license type but who can and will produce it? Sad
Almost all hardware is closed source and protected by some patent rights.

July 09, 2014, 01:53:00 PM
Darkcoin provides a sufficiently high amount of privacy for the vast majority of users. For criminals, money laundering , etc, no solution will ever suffice. You are seriously naive if you think CN will stand up to serious investigation by powerful entities.

yeah just like pirating software right? Powerful entities always lag. And no unlike wonderful american movies they cant always do whatever they want. Of course one day it may be vulnerable. But it is the step for something even better...

Darkcoin is just absolutely easy to break...The more difficult you make it for someone to break it the better...

As for the software and hardware backdoors, yeah not exackly everything have backdoors. A serious man chooses seriously what he uses. And backdoors arent exackly so easy to be used by powerful entities because of even more serious political implications...
Would you install a 2000 pound bracket onto your car if it made it harder for someone to break in? Nothing is NSA proof. Darkcoin is a practical solution for privacy minded individuals. CN is an over the top "solution" that gives a false sense of security.

As for the backdoors, your computer has a cpu right? Game over.
legendary
Activity: 1428
getmonero.org
July 09, 2014, 01:29:30 PM
Darkcoin provides a sufficiently high amount of privacy for the vast majority of users. For criminals, money laundering , etc, no solution will ever suffice. You are seriously naive if you think CN will stand up to serious investigation by powerful entities.

yeah just like pirating software right? Powerful entities always lag. And no unlike wonderful american movies they cant always do whatever they want. Of course one day it may be vulnerable. But it is the step for something even better...

Darkcoin is just absolutely easy to break...The more difficult you make it for someone to break it the better...

As for the software and hardware backdoors, yeah not exackly everything have backdoors. A serious man chooses seriously what he uses. And backdoors arent exackly so easy to be used by powerful entities because of even more serious political implications...
July 09, 2014, 01:07:26 PM
July 09, 2014, 12:58:10 PM
Hello Darksend+, where an individual masternode doesn't know both the sender and the receiver:
https://darkcointalk.org/threads/development-updates-july-7th.1735/

I repeat:

And this still doesn't solve the issue where a masternode can simply record it's in's and out's and thus un-anonymising the transactions.

What good would only half the information do? A powerful, malicious entity could potentially purchase a large # of masternodes and try to match transactions, but no (currently public) technology would do any better in the end.

You just admitted that DRK is centralized and Masternodes are vulnerable to attack. Trustless CryptoNote protocol makes DRK tech obsolete.
The CryptoNote protocol makes itself obsolete. I seriously doubt it's going anywhere beyond proof of concept. Anonymint explained how CN bloat CANNOT be solved. Either you use mix setting 0-1 and get no bloat, no anonymity, or you use the higher settings to get massive bloat and anonymity. Because of the way that denomination works, massive bloat is unavoidable. Period. Your coin will never be anything except a demonstration that CN provides anonymity at the cost of unworkable bloat. Enjoy.

Vulnerable to attack? You realize that your hardware and software have backdoors, right? The sort of entity that could actually attack Darkcoin would have no problem attacking any CN coin.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
July 09, 2014, 12:55:29 PM
Another thing about Monero, why invest in a clone? Bytecoin was the first CN coin. Cue whining because you weren't there to mine at the beginning.

For starters - Bytecoin is a scam via it's famous pre-mine/instamine. It doesn't take much digging to find that.
July 09, 2014, 12:51:59 PM
Another thing about Monero, why invest in a clone? Bytecoin was the first CN coin. Cue whining because you weren't there to mine at the beginning.
Jump to: