Pages:
Author

Topic: Running a Bitcoin Node - page 2. (Read 5604 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
February 21, 2014, 02:55:40 PM
Hypothetically you could pay a peer in advance for the next 1000 transactions. The peer keeps a counter and stops relaying once the 1000 is up. Of course, in a p2p network you have to prevent cheating, etc. We agree this is unsolved.

Hypothetically, in the vacuum of space you could open your mouth and suck in a nice fresh breath of oxygen and nitrogen.  Of course, you'd have to find a way around the laws of physics as we currently understand them.  We agree this is unsolved.

I provided a link to a project at least working on p2p payment for bandwidth. Unless you can provide a link to a project working on humans breathing oxygen from space these are pretty different.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 4794
February 21, 2014, 02:53:17 PM
Hypothetically you could pay a peer in advance for the next 1000 transactions. The peer keeps a counter and stops relaying once the 1000 is up. Of course, in a p2p network you have to prevent cheating, etc. We agree this is unsolved.

Hypothetically, in the vacuum of space you could open your mouth and suck in a nice fresh breath of oxygen and nitrogen.  Of course, you'd have to find a way around the laws of physics as we currently understand them.  We agree this is unsolved.
legendary
February 21, 2014, 02:52:35 PM
There are not 10 million full nodes

Perhaps not yet.  I'm not sure how we would know.

"Full nodes" are available by public IP, otherwise they are private nodes. Public IPs can be collected from the network and counted. I think somebody (blockchain.info maybe?) publishes an approximate count. Last year the popularity of lightweight clients reduced the number of full nodes, although it may be on the way back up now. It's still pretty low.

legendary
February 21, 2014, 02:51:34 PM
Danny's example was entirely hypothetical.

Clearly.

There are not 10 million full nodes

Perhaps not yet.  I'm not sure how we would know.

(I think there are a few thousand).

I think there are much more than that.  I'd expect at least a few tens of thousands, and a few hundred thousand wouldn't surprise me.
legendary
February 21, 2014, 02:51:28 PM
It could be done in bulk, say one fee for every 1000 or 10000 transactions (or a probabilistic equivalent).

How would all the peers know if I previously paid the transaction relay fee for a transaction that I'm sending now?

legendary
February 21, 2014, 02:49:25 PM
It could be done in bulk, say one fee for every 1000 or 10000 transactions (or a probabilistic equivalent).

How would all the peers know if I previously paid the transaction relay fee for a transaction that I'm sending now?

But the real answer is that no one has quite figured out how to build a p2p network that pays for bandwidth.

Exactly.  Nobody has figured out a cost effective way to pay peers for relaying transactions.  Until such a solution is discovered (if ever), I don't think there is any reason to discuss the idea that nodes "should" get paid to relay transactions.  It feels a bit like discussing how humans "should" be able to breathe in a complete vacuum.
legendary
February 21, 2014, 02:38:59 PM
If you want to guarantee that the miners and your intended recipient all receive the transaction, you'll need to pay a fee to EVERY single node on the network.  If there are 10 million users all running full nodes, that would mean you'd have to pay a minimum fee of at least 0.00000001 BTC X 10 million = 0.1 BTC just for "relay fees".  Then you'd have to pay a mining fee in addition to that.

So because I run a node I'd get a satoshi per 1k or 10k transactions. Wow, the new wealthy elite! Sign me up! Smiley

Danny's example was entirely hypothetical. There are not 10 million full nodes (I think there are a few thousand). In some hypothetical future where a satoshi is worth a penny and there are thousands or even millions of transactions per second...

legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029
February 21, 2014, 02:35:02 PM
If you want to guarantee that the miners and your intended recipient all receive the transaction, you'll need to pay a fee to EVERY single node on the network.  If there are 10 million users all running full nodes, that would mean you'd have to pay a minimum fee of at least 0.00000001 BTC X 10 million = 0.1 BTC just for "relay fees".  Then you'd have to pay a mining fee in addition to that.

So because I run a node I'd get a satoshi per 1k or 10k transactions. Wow, the new wealthy elite! Sign me up! Smiley
legendary
February 21, 2014, 02:28:20 PM
would nodes getting a fee encourage a more robust network?

Possibly, but it would become EXTREMELY expensive.

The smallest possible "fee" that can be paid with bitcoin is 0.00000001 BTC.

But the real answer is that no one has quite figured out how to build a p2p network that pays for bandwidth.  It is a work in progress. See https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcloud-distributed-application-for-sharing-content-proof-of-bandwidth-415100

legendary
February 21, 2014, 01:31:41 PM

Possibly, but it would become EXTREMELY expensive.

The smallest possible "fee" that can be paid with bitcoin is 0.00000001 BTC.

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
February 21, 2014, 01:29:19 PM
this clearly say the fee goes to the nodes that process the transactions not to the miners, am I misunderstand this?
Yup, you are misunderstanding it. "miner" is an informal word, who "process the transaction" is who put it in a block, so a miner. Nodes just relay it.

Agree. Lets kill the mining fees.
Can we send the electricity bill to you then? Will you pay all the expenses that mining (remember, mining is here for security) requires?

legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1012
February 21, 2014, 01:10:09 PM

People should help the network for the sake of the network, not for money.

Mining fees will eventually replace the block reward. It needs to be a gradual change.

Without fees/reward, not enough people will secure the network and it will be extremely vulnerable to attack.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
February 21, 2014, 01:09:22 PM
Mining and running a node is not the same.
Running a node has minor costs.
Activity: 392
Merit: 116
Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet
February 21, 2014, 01:06:43 PM

legendary
Terminated.
February 21, 2014, 01:02:44 PM
Yeah, but this is planet Earth (sorry I've grown cynical as I've grown older).

I don't think the network is short on nodes (but I don't have the technical knowledge needed to know this for certain).

It might be short on mining nodes (since most hashers only sell hashing power to pools instead of actually mining).
Both points are correct. We have a fair amount of nodes, but we are short on mining ones.
legendary
February 21, 2014, 01:01:41 PM

Yeah, but this is planet Earth (sorry I've grown cynical as I've grown older).

I don't think the network is short on nodes (but I don't have the technical knowledge needed to know this for certain).

It might be short on mining nodes (since most hashers only sell hashing power to pools instead of actually mining).
legendary
Terminated.
February 21, 2014, 12:56:31 PM

Activity: 546
Merit: 500
February 21, 2014, 12:51:37 PM

I suppose it might create incentive for more people to run full nodes.

I run multiple full nodes myself.

In a way, running a full node is its own reward.
rat
Activity: 253
Merit: 250
February 21, 2014, 12:48:06 PM

legendary
February 21, 2014, 12:35:35 PM
Why do nodes not get a cut of the fee? Without them there is no mining.

Miners do need to run nodes.

Hashers who get paid to submit hashing power to a miner (pool operator) do not need to run nodes.
Pages:
Jump to: