Pages:
Author

Topic: Running a full node vs running with "prune mode" enabled - page 2. (Read 3933 times)

Activity: 725
Merit: 500
Ok thx, did not realize the wallet kept the infomation it needs to guarantee the funds are actually there!
staff
Activity: 3374
Merit: 6530
Just writing some code
Just watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWeIEFBrItE

1) The pruning must be smart enough to keep blocks for old addresses when you start pruning?
No. Unspent outputs are kept inside the wallet so old blocks are not necessary

2) If so it's very important to have the right wallet in place before you begin the pruning?
Yes. You cannot do anything involving rescanning the blockchain. This includes importing addresses and private keys

3) How many blocks upstream does the pruning keep for security for each transaction for addresses in the wallet?
AFAIK it doesn't need to. However it does keep at least the last 288 blocks for other reasons.

4) How is pruning started, just by rebooting the bitcoind with a flag?
Yes.

5) Is the bitcoind then busy or can it take RPC requests during that time?
6) How long time does the pruning take?
These I am not sure. You can run 0.12.0rc2 to try it out.

Is there a plan to add some way for the pruned bitcoind to ask the network for old blocks for a particular address if you import it?
Maybe. I don't think this is really possible because you cannot know what blocks the transactions are in and cannot verify them without redownloading the whole blockchain.
Activity: 725
Just watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWeIEFBrItE

1) The pruning must be smart enough to keep blocks for old addresses when you start pruning?
2) If so, it's very important to have the right wallet in place before you begin the pruning?
3) How many blocks upstream does the pruning keep for security for each transaction for addresses in the wallet?
4) How is pruning started, just by rebooting the bitcoind with a flag?
5) Is the bitcoind then busy or can it take RPC requests during that time?
6) How long time does the pruning take?

Is there a plan to add some way for the pruned bitcoind to ask the network for old blocks for a particular address if you import it?
Activity: 268
Merit: 256
Block pruning was introduced with 0.11.0, you can run a pruned node right now if you wanted to.  There is no security compromise here, but you lose some functionality in not having the entire block chain stored at your node.  If you have HD space to spare and a decent internet connection there's really no reason to run in pruned mode.

You still have to d/l the entire 40GB+ blockchain the first time you install before it can be pruned, so starting a pruned node will still take some time, but once it's pruned you don't need to keep all the data.

Here's some good reading for you: https://news.bitcoin.com/pros-and-cons-on-bitcoin-block-pruning/

Keep in mind that a pruned mode can currently not offer a wallet and it does not relay blocks. It is thus no help to SPV clients or at least thats my understanding of SPV. A pruned node will just relay transactions.
The next release (0.12) will enable the wallet.
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.
Block pruning was introduced with 0.11.0, you can run a pruned node right now if you wanted to.  There is no security compromise here, but you lose some functionality in not having the entire block chain stored at your node.  If you have HD space to spare and a decent internet connection there's really no reason to run in pruned mode.

You still have to d/l the entire 40GB+ blockchain the first time you install before it can be pruned, so starting a pruned node will still take some time, but once it's pruned you don't need to keep all the data.

Here's some good reading for you: https://news.bitcoin.com/pros-and-cons-on-bitcoin-block-pruning/

Keep in mind that a pruned mode can currently not offer a wallet and it does not relay blocks. It is thus no help to SPV clients or at least thats my understanding of SPV. A pruned node will just relay transactions.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Activity: 672
I think those who will run this pruned mode would not have run a full node anyway. This new feature might actually pull more people running SPV wallets or web wallets into running pruned nodes. Security of the network will not be impacted much.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
Why would you lose security? The main and possibly only downside of this feature is that we are going to see a drop in the number of full nodes. In other words, there won't be that many copies of the whole blockchain. As far as security goes for a single node, it should not decerease security.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183
I've heard some people talking about this. Apparently the next big update (0.12) will enable pruning of the blockchain, which means you will be able to run a node that only takes about 1GB to download and to keep locally. My questions are, if this is safe to do or you are in some way compromising your security. I guess the network also loses security if you use the pruned blockchain and not the full one.
I would like to get this properly explained .
Pages:
Jump to: