Pages:
Author

Topic: running antminer s5 with no fan? - page 2. (Read 1542 times)

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
January 18, 2016, 08:53:34 PM
Hi.

I plan to start a project of creating an oil cooled antminer s5 system, mostly for fun and educational purposes. I want to see, through transparent oil, my ant miner creating bitcoins in my living room with nearly no sound Smiley

The present plan is easy.

1) Submerge an antminer s5 into a bath of oil.
2) Cool down the heated oil by other means. I plan to use a (car?) radiator where I will pump the heated oil through using a small fan submerged in oil.

Challenge 1.
I want to remove the original 120mm fan attached to s5. I think that it will be too strong and disturbing if running inside the oil bath.

Questions.
1) Will s5 still run OK when the stock fan is disconnected from the system and the power pins for the fan left open?

2) If "no" in 1, is it a simple way to trick s5 to make it works with no fan?

3) If I want to use the power pins meant for the original 120mm fan to drive another smaller fan (to pump the oil through the radiator), are there some important requirements the smaller fan needs to fulfill?

Any comments from you will be highly appreciated.

Best regards,
aknnig

1) No. It need FAN1 connected
2) If leaving a fan connected is a simple trick, then yes.
3) It has to be a PMW fan i guess.
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 2667
Evil beware: We have waffles!
January 18, 2016, 08:52:40 PM
Sounds good. Keep the miner vertical so a thermal siphon is setup  to help move oil over the heat sinks.

For radiators & fans, check FrozenCPU or Koolance.com Both have liquid systems that can handle over 2.5kw. With large diameter fans on the radiator (or hung out a window during winter) it should be pretty quite.  When using oil make sure it is low viscosity or standard CPU/GPU pumps are not going to be happy.
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
January 18, 2016, 07:45:54 PM
Hi.

I plan to start a project of creating an oil cooled antminer s5 system, mostly for fun and educational purposes. I want to see, through transparent oil, my ant miner creating bitcoins in my living room with nearly no sound Smiley

The present plan is easy.

1) Submerge an antminer s5 into a bath of oil.
2) Cool down the heated oil by other means. I plan to use a (car?) radiator where I will pump the heated oil through using a small fan submerged in oil.

Challenge 1.
I want to remove the original 120mm fan attached to s5. I think that it will be too strong and disturbing if running inside the oil bath.

Questions.
1) Will s5 still run OK when the stock fan is disconnected from the system and the power pins for the fan left open?

2) If "no" in 1, is it a simple way to trick s5 to make it works with no fan?

3) If I want to use the power pins meant for the original 120mm fan to drive another smaller fan (to pump the oil through the radiator), are there some important requirements the smaller fan needs to fulfill?

Any comments from you will be highly appreciated.

Best regards,
aknnig
Pages:
Jump to: