Pages:
Author

Topic: Running rigs in the wilderness - page 2. (Read 2989 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 500
September 13, 2012, 03:46:55 PM
Or you cold just use water-cooling and put the radiator outside (then condensation would be a problem again ...).

But a combination of water-cooling and outside Rigs would be fine (+ additive to prevent freezing)
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
September 13, 2012, 03:45:40 PM
Condensation only happens on cold things with hot ambient temerature ?
(my physics could be wrong here)
Well you're right, but that's exactly my point. If the air inside a PC is warm from the CPU/GPU blowing heated air around, and the metal case is being chilled from exposure to frigid outside air, there could be condensation on the inside of the case. You have to watch for rain, but idk how to stop condensation on the inside of your case.
Activity: 686
Bitbuy
September 13, 2012, 03:42:00 PM
Make sure they don't get too cold. If it's too cold, the fluid/gas in the heatpipes may freeze, and that will cause the chip to overheat due to a lack of cooling. So be careful Smiley
September 13, 2012, 03:28:19 PM
Condensation won't be a problem.  Rain could be.

You could just bulid a proper housing for the miners Smiley
Activity: 386
Merit: 250
September 13, 2012, 03:25:39 PM
I saw a rig in a backyard with snow on it, I think on Google image or somewhere.  I don't think it is the best idea but to each their own.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
September 13, 2012, 03:15:30 PM
Condensation won't be a problem.  Rain could be.
September 13, 2012, 03:10:12 PM
That shouldn't be a problem at all.

Wasn't there a rule like this:

Condensation only happens on cold things with hot ambient temerature ?
(my physics could be wrong here)

There are already people using their rigs outside. Like the one in Alaska and another one uses a rig just outside on his balcony.
Activity: 900
Merit: 1014
advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe
September 13, 2012, 02:49:15 PM
How cold are we talking? Here in Maine, the winters can get pretty chilly!

Dust wouldn't be my main concern running outdoor rigs, as Graet mentioned you can clean them pretty easily! My main concern would be moisture/condensation. Can you ensure they will be kept dry at all time?

Good question, I am in NC... there is no roof at the moment but I have an outdoor storage area I will put them in, and keep the door open perhaps with a tarp to deflect rain which might blow in. Just started one up so the test is in progress!
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
September 13, 2012, 02:35:58 PM
How cold are we talking? Here in Maine, the winters can get pretty chilly!

Dust wouldn't be my main concern running outdoor rigs, as Graet mentioned you can clean them pretty easily! My main concern would be moisture/condensation. Can you ensure they will be kept dry at all time?
September 13, 2012, 01:58:58 PM
Cool Smiley This will be interesting! Too bad nobody could see me with a vacuum cleaner on my balcony... Cheesy
vip
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
September 13, 2012, 01:46:16 PM
heh, I had to run a power lead and a cat5 cable outside to feed 5 rigs and a switch
made it easy to dust them too, no "moving outside" for a clean Wink
September 13, 2012, 01:42:15 PM
I did this last summer on my back verandah
starting to warm up here again, they will be going out soon Smiley

Awesome Cheesy Just cleaned off the verandah here, going to run a test Smiley Fortunately there is an electrical outlet outside. No Ethernet though! They obviously were not thinking ahead when they constructed this place! (No Ethernet inside for that matter).
vip
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
September 13, 2012, 01:37:29 PM
I did this last summer on my back verandah
starting to warm up here again, they will be going out soon Smiley
September 13, 2012, 01:23:19 PM
Just kidding Smiley But has anyone run rigs... outside?! We have broken a few A/Cs now to the point where we don't keep all of the rigs in one apartment Tongue At the moment they run OK when the room they are in is 90F. A control script clocks down if any of the cores hit 83/84C. That actually doesn't happen often because there are extra fans zip-tied onto the cards.

Problem now is it is cooler outside so the general ambient temperature of this place is far lower. Of course the rig room is hot but with the door open it vents out and distributes. But if the door is closed (the noise is insane so I keep it that way during the day) then it gets too hot! Basically in the summer the A/C would run and cool everything. Since the thermostat is far from the rigs it doesn't heat up enough to kick on. I would have to keep this place really cool in order to compensate for this.

So.... given that they run fine in a 90F room (I wonder about the power subunit of the card though...) and it is only about 80F out these days, provided I could keep them safe from rain and insects I was thinking about putting them on the porch? There would be no room to heat up and they would be much quieter from my perspective.

Totally crazy idea? We have about 2.8Ghash and I want to try and run for as long as possible until ASIC release and difficulty drop!

Thanks!
Pages:
Jump to: