Pages:
Author

Topic: Russia shuts off Nord Stream gas pipeline indefinitely - page 2. (Read 188 times)

legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 2174
Professional Community manager
This seems like a topic some people might care about. So I thought I would post it.
There is generally less interest in the war from the general public, but the impacts are still very well being felt by different nations of the world.

Russia is testing the extent of European dependency on their oil, in relation to sanctions placed on them.
They also have an alternative to sell to more friendly countries and have European nations buy back at a higher markup.
It would be interesting to see how this affects foreign relations in the next decade or more between European nations, Russia and U.S.A.
copper member
Activity: 2100
Merit: 903
White Russian
This seems like a topic some people might care about. So I thought I would post it.
I have studied this issue and can say the following. Russia is using the simple and effective tactic of the Italian strike, demanding from Siemens exact compliance with the regulations in the framework of technical work on the maintenance of gas turbines. Those turbos always guzzled oil like grandpa's old pickup truck. But before, Gazprom turned a blind eye to this, but now it doesn't. Because you can't freeze Russian money and talk openly about the economic war between the West and Russia, and at the same time demand uninterrupted supplies of something from Russia. Russia is interested in maintaining the image of a reliable supplier, but only for friendly countries, and not for unfriendly ones. And in order to stop being an unfriendly country for Russia, all economic sanctions against it must be lifted. It seems quite logical.
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441
Russia on Friday indefinitely halted natural gas imports to Europe through the Nord Stream 1 pipeline, adding to fears of a looming European energy crisis.

Energy company Gazprom, which The Wall Street Journal notes is controlled by the Kremlin, said it would not restart the pipeline on Saturday (as planned) due to an oil leak; the company also did not give an estimate as to when service might resume. The pipeline had been closed since Wednesday for maintenance.

"Until the issues on the operation of the equipment are resolved, gas supplies to the Nord Stream gas pipeline have been completely stopped," Gazprom wrote in a statement, per CNN.

Notably, the announcement from Gazprom arrived not long after G-7 countries said they'd be imposing a cap on the price of Russian oil so as to ding Moscow (and its war in Ukraine) financially. The level of that cap will be discussed at a future meeting, the Journal notes.

Europe is decently dependent on Russian gas and a blow to its supply just before winter is the last thing the continent needs, CNN adds. Plus, Moscow has already retaliated against certain European countries who refused to pay for supplies in rubles, while Gazprom has kept flows through Nord Stream 1 "to just 20 percent of its capacity" since June, "citing maintenance issues and a dispute over a missing turbine caught up in Western export sanctions."

https://news.yahoo.com/russia-shuts-off-nord-stream-213253802.html

It seems russia shut down the nordstream pipeline.

More recent sources claim russia announced it will not reopen the pipeline until sanctions are lifted.

Russia demands sanctions are lifted before it resumes gas supplies

Russia won’t resume gas supplies to Europe until western sanctions are lifted, the Kremlin has warned.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/09/05/ftse-100-markets-live-news-oil-russia-gas-euro/

It seems that this is also part of russia's plan for ending the ukraine conflict on a faster timetable.

An end to sanctions that supplies russia with components and parts may increase their wartime capability.

Which could allow them to defeat ukraine faster, at lower cost and less loss of life.

Pages:
Jump to: