Pages:
Author

Topic: Russians boycotting US food industry. - page 3. (Read 6139 times)

legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
Right now, the sanctions are having zero effect.

Russian trade with EU, US ‘unaffected’ by sanctions — deputy economy minister

http://en.itar-tass.com/economy/732783
Activity: 518
Merit: 250
Thanks for this data. I guess I was wrong and right at the same time. The balance is in favor of Russia, but if I go to an American mall, I won't find any Russian-made product. This country doesn't make any consumer product an American would like. Caviar? Come on, I'm having caviar less than once a year, and I'm living well. Most of mankind doesn't know what caviar is.

Its not entirely true, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_games_developed_in_Russia Of course Tetris is a very popular example, but there are others.
legendary
Thanks for this data. I guess I was wrong and right at the same time. The balance is in favor of Russia, but if I go to an American mall, I won't find any Russian-made product. This country doesn't make any consumer product an American would like. Caviar? Come on, I'm having caviar less than once a year, and I'm living well. Most of mankind doesn't know what caviar is.

Most of mankind doesn't know what caviar is, but many of the millionaires and billionaires won't be able to live without it.  Grin And it is not that affordable either. A 9 Oz tin (255 grams) of Russian Volga Reserve Ossetra Caviar costs some $2,000 - 2,500. The Beluga caviar costs even more.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy
I bet the balance remains in favor of the US.

I don't know how many Russians eat American food, but I'm sure there are far less Americans eating Russian food. Come to think of it, I guess the only Russian product available in the U.S. is Vodka (but Swedish vodka is better). Russian food hardly exists outside Russia.

I'd be cruel, I'd talk about Russian cars.

Russia exports a lot of food products to the United States and the European Union. The most important of those products is the Caviar (including Beluga, Sterlet, Ossetra, and Sevruga).

The Russians eat far more US food then vice versa.  Most of the US imports from Russia are petroleum products.  

legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004
Russia says could replace any Western food sanctions from elsewhere

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/25/ukraine-crisis-food-idUSL6N0NH1TC20140425

Russia will get the cheese and meat from somewhere else, while the farmers in Poland and Lithuania will lose their market.

Both sides could replace the others products.  Consumers in both nations will have higher prices.  The least replaceable item on both sides is aerospace products as the lead time to manufacture is long.  Russia buys US planes from Boeing, the USA buys rocket engines.  Neither is easily replaced. 

I would very much prefer if Russia didn't import 6th hand Boeings (not from US, but rather from Latin America and Africa by companies, that are after making a quick buck), which are about to fall apart. Russia has many great construction bureaus, Tupolev and Iljushin, are just to biggest, and they should be further developed.

As for Western companies, I prefer Airbus in terms of cabin comfort: air quality, pressure, ventilation. Whenever I fly, I choose companies that use Airbus....

I prefer specific planes not specific companies knowing there are planes that are to me more comfortable than others.  Specifically the A380, B747 and the B777 and looking forward to the A350.  I hate flying on A320 or B737's but still have to. 

While 6'th hand Boeings are certainly less safe then newer planes, it shows how well Boeings stand up.  It is well known that Boeings in general are built tougher then Airbus but also because of that tend to use more fuel.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/25/ukraine-crisis-food-idUSL6N0NH1TC20140425

Russia will get the cheese and meat from somewhere else, while the farmers in Poland and Lithuania will lose their market.

Both sides could replace the others products.  Consumers in both nations will have higher prices.  The least replaceable item on both sides is aerospace products as the lead time to manufacture is long.  Russia buys US planes from Boeing, the USA buys rocket engines.  Neither is easily replaced. 

I would very much prefer if Russia didn't import 6th hand Boeings (not from US, but rather from Latin America and Africa by companies, that are after making a quick buck), which are about to fall apart. Russia has many great construction bureaus, Tupolev and Iljushin, are just to biggest, and they should be further developed.

As for Western companies, I prefer Airbus in terms of cabin comfort: air quality, pressure, ventilation. Whenever I fly, I choose companies that use Airbus....
legendary
China is making the maximum use out of the opportunities.

China ready to replace EU investors in Russia if more sanctions follow

http://rt.com/news/161104-sanction-eu-russia-china/
Activity: 448
I am against any kind of sanctions and boycott, but America started this thing first.
The military and industrial power is now shifting in the east: Russia, China, India, Korea and Japan are controlling the needs of the world, while America is being slowly isolated. Except for the now obsolete IPhone, there is nothing else that the world is going to miss from this bloodthirsty continent.
legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1359
btw, that whole kaspersky thing is quite funny.. it comes from a country that is notoriously known for phishing/scams.
Kaspersky AV is a scam itself, like any other AV software.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
btw, that whole kaspersky thing is quite funny.. it comes from a country that is notoriously known for phishing/scams. it's considered one of the better antivirus software, even though relations between the U.S. and russia have never been rosy.
Not surprising.
If you want to find good security, go where good security is necessary.
It evolves where the need is strongest.
legendary
Hmm.... Russia exports close to $ 2.1 billion worth of agricultural products (especially meat) from the United states every year. May be they could secure the food from Australia or China instead.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
A few days ago there was a article in the Dutch papers that stated:
Indian farmers are using cola & pepsi to clean there crops from pesticide.
Because it is cheaper then the real pesticide sprays.
The whole food industry is only based on profit and the food is gettin worse look at gmo's
Last summer i was In Aruba and the meat there in the supermarkets was so much better then the meat here in holland.
In Europe and Usa they try to make as much profit as possible and the quality of the food is going down because of that.

And yet, the highest margin food in the USA is the organic non-GMO.
So all markets are served.  The starving have food, but not great food, and those adding a lot of value and affording better food pay a lot more for it.

Weird how markets sort of figure that out without "requiring" it, huh.  Who would have thought.
legendary

legendary

I don't know how many Russians eat American food, but I'm sure there are far less Americans eating Russian food. Come to think of it, I guess the only Russian product available in the U.S. is Vodka (but Swedish vodka is better). Russian food hardly exists outside Russia.

Russia exports a lot of food products to the United States and the European Union. The most important of those products is the Caviar (including Beluga, Sterlet, Ossetra, and Sevruga).

The Russians eat far more US food then vice versa.  Most of the US imports from Russia are petroleum products.  

legendary

legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1359

don't forget mail-order brides, vodka and prostitutes  Smiley

Russian prostitutes in USA?
How much?

have no idea, but i'm pretty sure they import their women over here. probably not as much as the south koreans/chinese though. do you want me to be your hooker broker? i charge a 5% flat fee. i can't promise she won't bite your dick off though; russian women are feisty. if you like her enough, you can also buy her.  
It's funny that the most of so called "russian prostitutes" are Ukrainian and Moldavan citizens... Some of them even unable to speak in russian quite well, without this mind-blowing accent. Even here, in Russia, more than a half of these girls are migrants from the Ukraine.  Roll Eyes
legendary

legendary
As for Russian products in the US, i know of the Kaspersky anti-virus software. Im sure there are some others but I dont know by head.
Missile engines.
Military airplanes and parts
Helicopters
Uran
titan

The USA does not import much in the way of any if that except rocket engines. The us sells Russia more transportation goods by far (mostly planes) then Russia sells to the USA.  Russia sells the USA mostly petroleum products being 75% of Russian exports to the USA.  Despite this the USA is still a net energy exporter. 
Activity: 434

How much?

have no idea, but i'm pretty sure they import their women over here. probably not as much as the south koreans/chinese though. do you want me to be your hooker broker? i charge a 5% flat fee. i can't promise she won't bite your dick off though; russian women are feisty. if you like her enough, you can also buy her.  
Activity: 350

How much?
Pages:
Jump to: