Pages:
Author

Topic: S9 cards only run on older FW? BrainsOS fails on them?? - page 2. (Read 439 times)

legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 6279
be constructive or S.T.F.U
I have just saved an S9 just by using different the older FW!
Any ideas?

It is perfectly usual for some miners to work fine on x firmware version but work unstable or don't work at all on y firmware version, I even wrote a topic on this subject regarding S9s and how I managed to bring some dead boards back to life, I went back and forth between different stock firmware versions and the results did not change, (for some weird reason which I can't seem to figure out since 2018 lol) some boards just don't like some firmware versions.

So it's a great idea to try and install different firmware versions on your dead miners, I had some that won't run with any of the stock versions but did just fine with custom firmware, so always try a few of the 2016-2017 stock versions and 1-2 custom firmware before declaring a miner as 'dead'.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 2904
Block halving is coming.
Its not failing the thing is its seems you are trying to flash the unit through the dashboard and the guide is for flashing it again with stock firmware.
If you can't find the firmware pointed from that guide above check this link below its a direct link from Bitmain then follow the guide above just make sure to move JP4 to original position after you flash.

- https://file12.bitmain.com/shop-product/firmware/t9%2B%20-SD%20Tools.zip
Activity: 71
Merit: 12
I'm not sure what you mean, your instructions seem to be to be for installing BrainsOS via SD card/NAND/Jumper Flash. I have altready done this and all 3 cards only ran on that FW for a few hours.

I simply tried/wanted to downgrade it to a previous non BrainsOS FW with no autotune etc, the ones that were around for years (i linked the exact one that worked above).

It would not allow me to flash/doe=wngrade hence me just replacing the control board that had older FW on it.

Or are you implying that there are card images for older FWs that can be installed via SD/NAND/JUMPER.

In hindsight i should of purchased a few sd cards and used the run from SD card Brains FW, this wold of easily solved it just by removing it.

But why is the newer brainsOS failing yet the older FW works fine?

Cheers
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 2904
Block halving is coming.
When you tried to revert it to the original os did you unzip the image file that you downloaded before you put it to the SD card?

If you don't know how to revert it to the original firmware try to follow this below

- https://www.zeusbtc.com/articles/asic-miner-troubleshooting/1184-s9-series-s9-s9i-s9j-s9-hydro-control-board-program-recovery
Activity: 71
Merit: 12
Hi

I put together an s9 with an old board and spare cards with old 2017 FW on it and it ran fine for 3 hours, i the upgraded to BrainsOS and it ran again, tuned fine.

I have just returned home 4 hours later and miner is not running, i have tried restarting miner and sometimes one card runs to full Th, sometimes hust Gh and ramps down.

I have tried other psu's, disconnecting cards, running one card (tried disabling card/s in FW settings but this does nothimg imo??).

I did not screenshot or write down the message it gave a TUNER FAILED and the error on each card was somwehere alomg the lines of chips not recognided/renemeratopn or somthing?).

I tried downgrading to older FW but it wull not??

So i found an old card with FW -Linux 3.14.0-xilinx-gb190cb0-dirty #57 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 9 14:49:22 CST 2016 and it is npw running runs fine?

I was on the verge of binning/selling these cards as faulty but they are all working/good temps/all asics showning, HW errors fine......

What is going here and i presumed if you upgraded to BrainsOS it removed SSH lock thus allowing you to install older FW.

I have just saved an S9 just by using different the older FW!
Any ideas?

Cheers
Pages:
Jump to: