Pages:
Author

Topic: S9 owners DO NOT upgrade firmware to 2019 version, you will lose SSH access!!! - page 2. (Read 1592 times)

legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1561
CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang
When you have a networked machine with a full-OS controller, you get access. There is no good reason to lock someone out of his own hardware.

It's bad enough that they had full voltage control as far back as the second-version S7 without ever making it open. And building ASICBoost into the S9 from the start then waiting two years to make it open. And then speed-locked autotune firmwares, and the perpetual violation of open-source licensing on everything they've ever shipped out. And let's not get started on selling dust-filled machines as new, allegations of charging for old hardware while mining on new to steal further profits from cloud-mining contracts, and the various BitCH fork and pump and trade-war fiascos. When you already demonstrably can't trust a manufacturer, giving them a pass while working to remove transparency and user control even further is unacceptable.

Maybe it won't affect most folks directly. But the precedent should still cheese us off.

Furthermore this is removing features originally present when bought. Was this even written in the upgrade notes? No, it wasn't. This is disrespectful to their customer base to say the least.

"Enhance security" = You won't be allowed SSH access into your Asic miner anymore.
If they respected their customers, it should have been optional, with an option exposed in the web ui to disable it.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
When you have a networked machine with a full-OS controller, you get access. There is no good reason to lock someone out of his own hardware.

It's bad enough that they had full voltage control as far back as the second-version S7 without ever making it open. And building ASICBoost into the S9 from the start then waiting two years to make it open. And then speed-locked autotune firmwares, and the perpetual violation of open-source licensing on everything they've ever shipped out. And let's not get started on selling dust-filled machines as new, allegations of charging for old hardware while mining on new to steal further profits from cloud-mining contracts, and the various BitCH fork and pump and trade-war fiascos. When you already demonstrably can't trust a manufacturer, giving them a pass while working to remove transparency and user control even further is unacceptable.

Maybe it won't affect most folks directly. But the precedent should still cheese us off.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
When you have hundreds, you assign their IPs based on their racks and put a sticker on them ...
copper member
Activity: 658
Merit: 101
Math doesn't care what you believe.
The only valid reason IMO for wanting access is to fix the API access, but you can get around that also by changing the software to use what is available.
If your miner needs rebooting via the API every few hours, then there's something wrong with the miner.

SSH is also very handy for issuing "poweroff".  Since S9s have no indicator function, powering off a miner via SSH allows you to locate it, or a batch of "its", simply by looking for the S9s that do not have a blinking green light.
legendary
It has 2 settings, as far as I know, from people who commented about it.

One for AB and another for lower frequency.

Not sure if you can use the lower freq without the AB setting (though wouldn't make any sense to do that), but both together end up with better results in the J/H arena at a lower hash rate.

i.e. anyone considering throwing them away, may still get use out of them with both settings on.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
braiins software is pretty good. once it is installed.

But I have 22-25 s9's and only 2 are using braiins.  I just did not bother switching out the other s9's>

I use bitmain's  9.5 th setting and their 13.5 th setting  depends if s9 lets me use the 13.5 I have a few that like to run on the 9.5th setting.

As for braiins  I do 10.05 th and 815 watts the 2  machines run pretty good on that.

I won't do the 2019 firmware since it locks the s9's down and I don't see what is better Ie does the 2019

do  10 th and 750 watts

does it do  13th and 1100 watts

If it did I would use the 2019 firmware.

Meaning if I lock my gear down I want to gain something for it.
legendary
I'm not sure why you say 'hostile'

Truck loads of people bought T1s that locked you out of both ssh and even direct API access.
The key wasn't released until a LONG time after the T1 existed.

I think you'll find that not too many people care and those that do just want to run hack firmware that is, basically, a waste of time, and bad for the miner and owner.

The only valid reason IMO for wanting access is to fix the API access, but you can get around that also by changing the software to use what is available.
If your miner needs rebooting via the API every few hours, then there's something wrong with the miner.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1561
CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang
From various sources i have confirmed that if you update your firmware from Bitmain to any version from 2019, you will lose SSH access. This is the same thing they tried with the S15.

Quote from: Jan Čapek
We have this confirmed from one of the users. These are clearly evil intensions as they are taking away functionality from the user

they added the signing as on S15, which itself is good if it wouldn't lock people out

Hopefully someone will find ways to overcome this, but its clear Bitmain is becoming very hostile to their customers. Beware to not upgrade any Antminer's firmware beyond 2018.

Known methods to overcome this:

Remotely via software (closed source):

Physically using:

• TF (microSD) card:

• Serial port:
Pages:
Jump to: